I am a consumer for whom nothing seems to be easy. I have spent hours reading posts here & find great information, but, unfortunately, no clear answer for me. I would really appreciate any input on my dilemma.

I've worn progressive lenses for over 10 yrs. Mostly Varilux Panamic very successfully. Now wanted smaller frame & needed slightly stronger RX. Chose a semi-rimless frame with B of 28.3. Had planned to stay with Panamic as I knew I liked it, but Optician measured a fitting ht.of 14, I believe & put me in a Definity. Back at Opthamologist (separate office) I mentioned that there was barely any reading area at all, thinking prescrip wasn't strong enough. She measured & found that the full strength of reading power was cut off. Went back to Optician - he argued that the reading power was there, but finally said the FULL power was not. He suggested trying the Varilux Ellipse. I have worn them for a month now & have much better reading area, but strongly dislike them in every other way! I feel like I can only see clearly looking straight ahead -very "swimmy" & blurry wih any side to side or up & down movement. I work at a computer & have to look from papers on my desk back & forth to screen & find this as well as driving, reading, etc. very "uncomfortable" in this lens.

I felt like the frame I chose at 28.3 is not really all that small in comparison to most now, & anything big enough is MUCH bigger. While at a different Optical shop I asked if they felt I could put a Panamic in this frame. She actually measured & said I had a fitting height of 17 (as opposed to 14)but that the Panamic needs 18. She also mentioned I could request the lab to add a mm on to the bottom of the lens when making them to allow more fitting height so I could use the Panamic. Has anyone had experience with this?
Optician kept prescrip, but it is approx:
OD: +2.25, Cylind. -.50 AXIS with ADD of +1.50
(Add'l spec: PD 65 whatever that means!)

So sorry for the long post, but am desperate for a solution. Thank you!!!