Thread: Practice Management Software

Bad address email on file

Wave Practice Management Software

I am a computer tech for a rather large optometry office. I have been frustrated for years because we remain using Office Mate Dos. I kept pushing for Windows 2000 and then XP, but the Dos software only worked on Windows 98. The OD refused to upgrade to the Windows version of Office Mate because of the terrible Medical Records and its bad track record. We kept waiting for the exam writer for Office Mate Windows to be bug free or the price for many software titles to become more affordable.

Someone heard our cry because we recently found Insight Practice Management. They are basically an Office Mate Dos comparable system on steriods. Everything from customizable medical records to a complete transaction history.

You'll have to take a look at it yourself to see.
    I am slightly biased though. One of the designers of the software worked in my old office as a tech for a couple years and gave me a heads up on thier products release. I made sure the OD had one of the first demos.

Good luck to them and you should check it out.
    www.insightpm.com

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I checked out the link and it seems to offer everything an office could want. I noticed that the tech support is $800 per year. Why, if a program is so easy to use, (not just this program, but most others) do they charge so much for tech support?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Most software companies that sell non-consumer software charge yearly support costs in the neighborhood of 15% of the purchase price. That covers tech support, new features, new operating system support, testing, etc. Face it, the market for optical practice management software is pretty limited, and these companies are not exactly swimming in money. If they were, we'd see Microsoft Practice Management pretty quickly.

You pay a yearly service fee on your equipment, why does it seem odd to pay a service fee on the software that ties all the equipment together?
    RT

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have no problem paying for product updates that will make the software more efficient. I think that should be on purchase basis. Many software companies (it happened to us twice) charge for tech support when glitches in their software cause the program to run less than what was advertised. We paid over $900 to a company for tech support and eventually found out that they hadn't written the program correctly to calculate sales tax properly (it was rounding it off). Of course we got no refund. A second company tried to claim that the server we were using was not compatible, although it was listed specifically in the specs.

We finally scrapped all the big $$ programs and went with Quickbooks for the financials, and Eyebase (which charges a very reasonable per use tech-support fee) for the optical side (scheduling/exams/recalls/ etc.) Both programs cost us less than a year support fees from other firms.

Bad address email on file

Being a computer tech, technical support is invaluable

Insight Practice Management I believe charges $800 a year for all updates and support. Which comparable to other titles seems to be very fair. We have called them twice so far to have them walk us through some of thier special features. We were a bit confused on the linking (exporting data) of the billing to quickbooks and linking of reports to Excel. It actually was quite simple it was just nice to have someone walk you through it. Plus the updates are very nice to get. We requested a link to DVI Remo for our lab orders to avoid retyping in the orders and, in 2 weeks they had it in thier update. I don't know of any software title that can put out an update that fast. That feature alone saves us several man hours and so far we have had no errant lab orders.

On a side note, having been on the computer side of several different software titles I can tell you that GOOD technical support is invaluable. My office used Office Mate Dos and Office Mate decided to no longer support it. Everytime we had a power surge or malicious virus I grit my teeth.
    Last edited by Computer Tech; 07-08-2004 at 10:57 AM.

Banned

President of Infooptic

I am the President of Infooptic, the company that has been offering practice management software solution for the past 5 years to the premier optic boutiques in New York City and tri-state area. Infooptic is a unique company that embraces innovation of technology and the old-fashioned values of the business practices that offer personal approach, face-to-face communication, indepth understanding of our clients’ needs and integrity and values that are almost scarce in today’s business world.

This year has been the milestone for us as we offer this new version of
    InfO-Optic software that implements all the requests made to us by our customers throughout the years. We had a great success at the Jacob Javits Vision Expo in March, and if you missed the show this year, here is your opportunity to try our demo at your convenience, and without any risks.
    Download the trial version from our website: www.infooptic.com

Mark Shvartsapel.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Office Software

Would anyone have the contact number to Eyebase? Seems like this program would be a reasonable alternative to some of the more expensive
    systems. Anything that is difficult with it?

D. Holland, O.D.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Holland View Post
    Would anyone have the contact number to Eyebase? Seems like this program would be a reasonable alternative to some of the more expensive
    systems. Anything that is difficult with it?

D. Holland, O.D.
    This is a very old thread, and things have changed with us since then.

To answer your question. No, there was nothing difficult with Eyebase, but it was a VERY basic program, adn our office soon outgrew.

If you want a good program, pound for pound the best buy is MY Vision Express www.myvisionexpress.com .

Like Eyebase, there is nothing difficult with it, and it is extremely easy to learn and to teach to the staff. More importantly, it's got many more features and reports that blow Eyebase away.

We use it, we like it.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Computer Tech View Post
    I am a computer tech for a rather large optometry office. I have been frustrated for years because we remain using Office Mate Dos. I kept pushing for Windows 2000 and then XP, but the Dos software only worked on Windows 98. The OD refused to upgrade to the Windows version of Office Mate because of the terrible Medical Records and its bad track record. We kept waiting for the exam writer for Office Mate Windows to be bug free or the price for many software titles to become more affordable.

Someone heard our cry because we recently found Insight Practice Management. They are basically an Office Mate Dos comparable system on steriods. Everything from customizable medical records to a complete transaction history.

You'll have to take a look at it yourself to see.
    I am slightly biased though. One of the designers of the software worked in my old office as a tech for a couple years and gave me a heads up on thier products release. I made sure the OD had one of the first demos.

Good luck to them and you should check it out.
    www.insightpm.com

Or, you could use a free program, DOSBox to run your DOS software in any PC environment.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information