Thread: Hot air frame warmer question...

Occupation
    Optometrist

Hot air frame warmer question...

I've always been a salt-pan guy, but I'm sure I need a hot air frame warmer. My question to the experienced board:

As a retail outlet (not a lab) should I go for the deluxe unit, or go for the smaller-type units?

They seem to be better at applying heat on a small section only of the frame, if that's desired. Right?

Are they noisy, or can they be used up front next to the phones?

Are they slower than the old, grungy salt pan?

Much appreciated!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Like anything else, its......

what you get used to! I go back to the days when salt was actually used!!( I admit I was very young at the time :bbg: ) I used to think the salt pan was the only way to go. I used to use an air heater as a back up when the salt pan would malfunction. Finally the old salt pan gave up the ghost and I tried going solo with the air unit. It didn't take long before I got used to it and it has a lot going for it, particularly first thing in the AM. Instant heat can't be beat. Being able to spot heat frames is particularly useful. The unit I was using was the large unit from Hilco. That finally gave up the ghost as well and I replaced it with their smaller unit. Works just fine! Is quiet enough to use while engaged on the phone. I could'nt get along without it and can't say enough about it. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking!The biggest plus is no silicone beads to sweep up!

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hard to keep coffee warm on an air warmer

I agree. It is entirely personal preference. I have several of the Vigor units in my shop. They are very efficient, quiet, and a pleasure to use once you get used to them. A far cry from the old black AO unit with the tall "cone" I learned on. The only thing I miss about the "salt" pan ( and yes, I too used salt before glass beads) is that it is tough to keep your coffee warm on an air blower. The salt pan was also helpful in "removing" edging chuck pressure makes on some resin lenses. Oh well we must progress.:)

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rwallner
    it is tough to keep your coffee warm on an air blower
    Then you are not drinking it fast enough

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

salt pans and hot air blowers

i use both and also go back to the days of actual salt, cone heaters and whatnot. In todays marketplace with the plethora of materials one has to work with, a hot air blower is very much recommended.
    .....Certain frame materials like optyl,s , polamides ,grilamides ,etc, will be much better handled with a hot air blower then a salt pan, which will most likely get those above mentioned materials too hot too fast, therefore rendering them useless.
    .....You will probably do best with a hot air blower that has several heat settings and several levels of how hard the air blows.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My electric bill went down $20 a month when I switched from salt pan to hot air blower.

Harry

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    One caveat with the blower... Just be careful with high-index and polycarbonate lenses. Although the sand/beads will no longer "dimple" the SRC of these lenses, the dry heat will easily craze many SRC and ARC coatings if the frame is adjusted using the blower with the lenses mounted.

Many high index materials reach a "rubber" state when the entire thickness of the lens reaches about 160-185 degrees. Although the lens will return to normal shape if reheated, the coating- which is usually much harder and more brittle than the substrate- may crack, craze, or peel.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

PEEL...........CRAZE...coating

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin

Many high index materials reach a "rubber" state when the entire thickness of the lens reaches about 160-185 degrees. Although the lens will return to normal shape if reheated, the coating- which is usually much harder and more brittle than the substrate- may crack, craze, or peel.
    Above statement prompts me to state that:

If you uses a super slick scratch resistant treatment instead of a hard coat you get neither of above crack, craze, or peel, and you can heat the frame and lenses as much as you want, by whatever means you want.

Beisdes you can save money by purchasing un-coated lenses and apply the scratch resistant yourself at not much cost per lens.

Of course the lens manufacturers want you to buy their hard coated lenses because this is an important part of their income and will argue my point.

Say more chris... I have always been told that non manufacturer coats are no good. Have I been lied to by the 10000 Gorrilla?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

frame warmer noobie

I am a consumer (not an optician) - and I am sorry to post on an eyecare professional only site. I don't know where else to ask this question...

I'm thinking about buying a cheap, hot air frame warmer because I want to shape the temples on my own zyl frames. I've been to the optician numerous times and feel like a pest at this point.

I've also read alot of the posts on this subject and feel as if I've learned a thing or two about the method of heating a zyl frame. Should I steer clear of this - or with some practice on some cheapo's can I feel confident that I won't destroy my frames.

Any pointers or advice would be appreciated... Thanks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dear Noobie, No you are not supposed to be here but since you somehow got caught in a three year old thread I will briefly tell you that, number one..they are not cheap. Number two..you are not a pest to your optician. If you get that vibe, find a new one. Number three..you are going to ruin your frames if you don't know what you are doing, and you don't. Go find an optician who can adjust to your satisfaction.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Dear Noobie, No you are not supposed to be here but since you somehow got caught in a three year old thread I will briefly tell you that, number one..they are not cheap. Number two..you are not a pest to your optician. If you get that vibe, find a new one. Number three..you are going to ruin your frames if you don't know what you are doing, and you don't. Go find an optician who can adjust to your satisfaction.
    Yeah.

Thread Information