Thread: Oliver Peoples

Occupation
    Optometrist

Oliver Peoples

For those who carry Peoples: Are they hot, or are they not?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    drk, good stuff if your market is into trendy, fashionable stuff. Would there be any name recognition where you are?? (for example, like there would be in Los Angeles) Not as funky as say, La eyeworks but still super cool.. I have an Oliver Peoples sunglass that I got 7 years ago when I worked at OSA that I can still wear today 'cause it is still cool and has help up very well.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Oliver Peoples and Paul Smith are our clinic's number 1 sellers. I'd say it really depends on your market, as karen said. We're a downtown clinic with patients looking for trendy glasses that will last. Very few recognise the name, but the opticians are so confident about the product that almost everyone goes for it.

Not as exclusive as it used to be. they have become quite the *****s with their exclusitivity... but we are all greedy. they sell like crazzzy in SF.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by mrba
    Not as exclusive as it used to be. they have become quite the *****s with their exclusitivity....
    Hey, what high end company hasn't become that way? Peoples, Lafont, Mikli are now much more accessible for the average bear.

Thanks for the imput. It sounds like they are viable.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Contact Mr.Daniel Chitayat.

Phone number: 1-310-493-7787, 1-310-471-6015.
    email: danicointl@aol.com

He has about 1,500 pcs. of DESIGNER EYEWEAR closed out at $45 to $55 each.

Also Jean XXX XXX.
    Last edited by JERRY HUANG; 07-12-2004 at 05:10 PM.

OptiBoard Professional skirk1975's Avatar
    Occupation

Smilie Oliver Peoples

Great Line ! Definitely a winner. The best part is the celebrity connection. Tons of celebrity wear Oliver Peoples and Paul Smith. The provide much info on who and what they are wearing. Excellent!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Your absolutely right about exclusivity. I have only dispensed boutique lines for high end independent opticians(20+years). In the past few years we have seen more and more boutique vendors and Lines like Dior, Gucci, and Chanel grabbing more market share. Luxxotica and Safilo arent too exclusive but everybody still jumps on the band wagon. Everybody wants exclusive rights but a lot of Opticians think that 36 pieces in stock and selling 5 a month deserves exclusivity. Boutique optical retailing is tough and takes a creative mind. I see so many people buying every new line that comes out putting in 45 pieces selling only the top three or four frames and the rest just warms the shelf. Those 3 or 4 die out and you have 25 frames left for 40% off sale which could put your C.O.G.in trouble. Oliver Peoples sell through. My biggest problem with OP is backorders(read I want more product) There are lines consigning their product telling potential vendors that OP is becoming less exclusive, but they have to give their product away? Go deeeeep with OP educate your opticians and it will have the most consistent sell through of any upscale line over the long haul. You will have your anamolies like the Chloe heart or the mini motard in the stew these are like celery and carrots Oliver Peoples are the meat and potatoes

I would say OP is the least exclusive line in the bay area. They are everywhere... Just wait till they get popular in your area, you'll see.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

neostyle?

drk, have you tried neostyle? they sell great for us, they have many unique frames.
    Paul:cheers:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Im in the Los Angeles area and yes OP is all over. Oliver peoples has branding, image, customer recognition, great styling (everybody knocked off the zuko) and the best plastics. I realize in the high end game exclusivity is important but there are lot more boutique vendors than there used to be.In the search for new lines many opticians have spread themselves all over the place with product (read inventory problems). I believe you have to keep core lines that make up 15-20 percent (per line) of your inventory. You tell me who fills the role as well as OP/PS.

Thread Information