Thread: Specialty Lenses

OptiBoard Apprentice

Specialty Lenses

Just wondering what your criteria is for Specialty Lenses. We seem to have a problem with manufacture defects. We try to persuede accounts to go with another manufacture, but some like the polaroid/mid-index option. Do you inform the patient of the wait time, push another product, or...what?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Options, Options, Options! You give us what our options are of course. Yes tell me the expected wait time, what other lenses may be available or someother alternative. Now I can decide because I have the information. There is no need for you to get frustrated because I may insist on waiting 30-45 days for a particular lens. I am the one who has to deal with my frustrated customer. You can bet that I am giving them options for them to decide upon.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I had, for example, 8 Specialty jobs this morning. Of those I had to reject 10 of the lenses for defects. I sometimes wonder if we are overly scrutinizing the product. I'm a lab supervisor and don't deal with the patients so I don't know what their response is with this issue.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by P Doble
    I had, for example, 8 Specialty jobs this morning. Of those I had to reject 10 of the lenses for defects. I sometimes wonder if we are overly scrutinizing the product. I'm a lab supervisor and don't deal with the patients so I don't know what their response is with this issue.
    Well you could send the jobs to the customer with a note explaining why you have sent the product out even though its not up to your usual standards. This gives them the chance to decide what to do, they maybe happy to wait it out for a new pair while giving the end customer the faulty pair to be going on with.
    Saves customers getting nasty becuse they have had to wait too long and end up canceling the job...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by P Doble
    Was this before you started processing or after? Is it a coating issue? From your post I presume you are dealing with polarized lenses. What defects could you be getting? Finally, if your defects are found in final inspection, it probably an internal procedural problem and not an issue with the speacialty supplier.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Thanks John R for the idea. We, as a procedure, check all Specialty jobs before processing to save on time and processing costs. Yes these are polaroids.

Thread Information