Thread: Palmer Gets Pres Medal of Freedom

OptiWizard

Palmer Gets Pres Medal of Freedom

CNN just had an interview with Arnold Palmer for having been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Unless there's something I'm missing here, he got it for playing golf!

Our soldiers are getting crippled and killed and not even allowed to return home after their tours are over, but the fat cats get medals for hanging around golf courses.

Makes me sick. :angry:
    Last edited by walt; 06-23-2004 at 07:09 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Presidential Medal of Freedom is America's highest civil award. It is conferred upon men and women of high achievement in the arts and entertainment, public service, science, education, athletics, business and other fields. For most recipients, this award is a special distinction added to many prior honors.
    From the White House website.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Arnold Palmer has..........

Arnold Palmer has played the game of golf all over the world. He has publicly and privately displayed the traits that are universally respected and asscociated with the game of golf. Honesty and integrity being the most identifiable, along with playing by the rules.Arnold Palmer has been an outstanding ambassador for his country and is indeed a worthy reciepient of this honor, wars and politics notwithstanding. He meets the true definition of the word gentle-man by those who know him.

With all due respect to Walt, there is something he was missing.

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I gotta go with Walt on this one. This is our country's highest civilian honor. It was also given to Doris Day. Look, these are swell people, even exceptionally honorable people. But I just don't see them in the same category as other recipients. In the entertainment world this award has gone to people like Irving Berlin and Fred Rogers and Walt Disney--do you put Doris Day in the same category in terms of contributions to her country? I don't know who has won from the sports world, I would hope Jackie Robinson, maybe Peter Ubernoff (sp?) Oh well, everyone has an opinion!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Swell people is not what its all about.......

A lttle history of the award can be found here:

http://www.medaloffreedom.com/1963Recipients.htm

This can be further researched through that site, finding recipients listed by the year in which they were awarded.A quote from the introduction follows.

"It is my privilege to welcome you to an historic ceremony. Today, the President of the United States is expressing the appreciation of a great Nation for the extraordinary achievements of a remarkable group of men and women, achievements spanning a wide spectrum of human endeavor: the arts, science, diplomacy, government, the humanities, the law, and philanthropy."

While we may disagree, or agree on the merits of those chosen, the choice is made by the president. I noticed no exclusions on the categorys mentioned on the page, and can only conclude that all worthwhile endevors are included.The fact that we are at war with soldiers being killed and maimed is what should be making us all sick, not the choice of a recipient of the Freedom medal. And I'm going with myself on that one.

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiWizard
    Nothing against Palmer. I'm sure he's a fine person.

The same day that Kerry's picking up union boss endorsements, Bush's picking up the golf block.

Just can't help wondering about the reaction of our troops in Iraq and elsewhere when they see that while they're daily risking their lives, and at best return with huge boils from desert sand-fleas, we're busy giving out Presidential medals to golfers who daily expose themselves to the assault of mosquitos. :(

Just seems to send the wrong signals.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Life goes on

:) Just a thought from someone who knows very little about golf. I realize that we are at war, and quite frankly, there are several who would think we should not be, but the fact remains that we are AT WAR… One of the things that we should thank each and every soldier for today and every day, is the fact that life can go on, because they are fighting for that right. Some of the things about life going on, is that babies are born, and people die, children run and play outdoors, people are going on vacations and to beaches and getting tanned, (although, I’ve never had a tan in my life). People are going daily to their places of business to work in a free country, and that’s a good thing. Most of us on Optiboard aren’t somewhere fighting for our country at the present time, but many have in the past or are married to someone who has. Many of us have time to read Optiboard, and make posts, and respond to those posts. Many read books, or just watch TV, or whatever.

Sometimes it’s important to remember that there is a war going on, but sometimes it’s important to remember the other things in life as well, and that they MUST go on. For one, I am grateful that the award was given, and believe that it was justly given. It’s a reminder that life goes on.

Unless each of us is willing to give up all of our leisure time and not allow little children to play, we need to remember that “LIFE GOES ON”.

Thank you to the soldiers for letting life go on. Thank you for fighting for our right to freedoms. I love you each and every one.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiWizard
    I believe that the President gave out the award to three people. One of them being an Ophthamologist. I can't remember his name.
    Last edited by Stopper; 06-25-2004 at 08:27 AM.
    :cheers: Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

OptiWizard
    Arnall Patz, MD. Just looked it up. Also gave one to Rita Moreno
    Last edited by Stopper; 06-25-2004 at 08:28 AM.
    :cheers: Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Thread Information