Thread: did i act correctly ?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

did i act correctly ?

hello everybody, new to optiboard, great place to visit.
    As you may know, one of the major groups in the UK is specsavers they constantly advertise, do BOGOFs etc.At the moment they have a really nice campaign running which implies that unless you visit their premises for your specs you may well end up looking like a nerd.

Recently one of my clients contacted me for her Rx, I checked her records and
    told her she was due a sight test in six months, but she was welcome to it,
    she then told me , that although she was very happy with her spectacles she wanted a new pair and could get a free pair from specsavers when she bought her new ones.

The lady in Question has an rx of +7.00/-1.50 add +2.25 R/L I had fitted her with Panamic 1.67 crizal surfaced knife edge . So I asked her if she wanted her new specs as thin as her current pair , when she said she did I told her that it was highly unlikely she would get 2 pairs of 1.67 panamics for the price of one but if we were quoting like for like I could certainly give her as good a deal.

I sent her the rx

A few days later i got a call from specsavers, could i tell them what her current spectacle lenses were made of. I am afraid i got a bit annoyed and I asked the guy if he wanted me to come and measure the PD and seg hts then
    told the guy that i had made this lady the best pair of specs I could, and if he
    was being paid by her he could do the same.then I hung up.

On reflection, perhaps i should have just told them, but how hard is it to identify a lens from the markings .

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I can relate to your frustration. I'm certain a lot of people on these forums can as well. You vented, no loss. Most likely SpecSavers is going to take a bath on this job. She might not come back to you but an RX like hers is a loser for a chain store.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i understand your frustration and since they were panamics, they could have just found the lazer etchings and figured it out...now if they were sv and etchings (if any) were cut off in edging then maybe i could see them asking but for progressives thats the easiest thing in the book to figure out.

and do we really need to have disloyal customers return to us; she will get them done there and then return to you with problems; and all along you can say "told ya so" fun stuff the optical business isnt it.

people always look for the cheapest price but you also have to find a place that has super quality people serving you and who truly care about the products you receive

you can vent anytime; we all need to sometimes

best of luck in the future - let us know if she returns to ya

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ikon,
    I disagree with you. You did MORE than make the nicest pair of glasses you could for her.

You undoubtedly:
    Took an optical history
    Took her measurements
    Made an evaluation of her needs
    Designed her lenses
    Selected her frame
    Educated her (apparently not enough:))
    Quality-controlled the finished product
    Dispensed her glasses
    Probably serviced her glasses

Now, she wants to go elsewhere for services, and they expect to copy your lens design (probably the most sophisticated service you provided). It's understandable you got mad. I feel that way when people try to copy my contact lens designs!

However, she paid for the lens design services when she got the glasses from you. So, from a medicolegal perspective, she probably has a right to that information, and you should have released it.

Don't worry, they probably will not be able to function at your level on the various other aspects of the process. If she never returns, don't feel too bad. You were paid for your services.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ikon44

On reflection, perhaps i should have just told them, but how hard is it to identify a lens from the markings .
    Not very hard indeed, and if they cant do it then i fail to see why you should do their work for them.
    Its probably a tribute to your good dispensing that they 'phoned you, they are probably clarifying what index they are.
    I doubt (i worked there for 8 yrs) that Specsavers will do a 2 for 1 on this type of lens, and when some fool orders a standard 65mm and they are mega thick she will be back in your store.

Rick

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    thank you all for your kind words and support, it really makes a difference to get it off your chest, and share the ups and downs of optical life with like minded
    people:)
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Thread Information