Thread: Chromagen Dyslexia Filters

Banned
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Chromagen Dyslexia Filters

Does anybody has any experience with Chromagen Dyslexia Filters?
    http://chromagen-america.com/
    http://www.eyecare-information-servi...enapproval.htm
    http://www.chromagenvision.com

Jorge

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Dyslexia

Excellent free info about Dyslexia and related treatments & services.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs down

Filters, glasses, excercises, psychological treatments, etc. are a good way to milk money from the poor folks suffering from this condition. Of course none of these help but you can make money.

You might also look into selling magnets to wear, or claim magnets in the frame help too. There is a lot of money in this. Very good aproach for those who think thier chair time is more important than the patient.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have used chromagen filters in contact lenses. The 3 successful patients were happy because they wanted them for specific purposes. The annual licensing fee now imposed makes has made us rethink the deal.The trial set was a significant investment two years ago. Good luck.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Chromagen

Anyone wanting info about filters e mail me on IanJordan@visualdyslexia.com
    I was first person in world to use contact lenses in dyslexia (1990), there are significant difficulties with any contact lenses when using absolute colour space and metamerism. However, clinical evidence is now overwhelming, the effects of tinted lenses can now be measured routinely in UK and Ireland using the Orthoscopic system.
    Instruments include instruments to measure absolute optimal colour, metameric effects, eye movement and stimulus, treatment of strab, sensory integration, acuity, convergence, parvocellular and magnocellular integration etc.
    Spatial perception, fourier analysis of LMS pathways, LMS integration, mapping at retinal level etc.
    See UK ophthalmologists national conference this year for presentation, International dyspraxia conference, world dyslexia congress.....
    The person who believes there is no problem is sadly wrong and not helpful to his patients.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone has more info on this subject?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman
    We have used chromagen filters in contact lenses. The 3 successful patients were happy because they wanted them for specific purposes. The annual licensing fee now imposed makes has made us rethink the deal.The trial set was a significant investment two years ago. Good luck.
    Bev, can you elaborate on the annual license? Is it for contact lenses in general or is it specific to filtering lenses for dyslexia?

Idea

Can someone post a source with proof of effectiveness?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yea, contact Mariette Hartley at the See Clearly Foundation.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 03-04-2006 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Slow memory

Occupation
    I don’t think that you will find any valid studies to support this theory. But, I guess it’s OK as I can’t see it doing any harm. It just goes to show you that you will never go broke by underestimating the intelligence of the consumer. If the public is stupid enough to fall for it they deserve to get skinned. Cripes, we all cheerfully pay $5.00 for a $0.25 cup of coffee at Starbucks, eh.

There is more information about Dyslexia and colored lenses.

http://www.callbpi.com/support/dyslexia.html

http://www.callbpi.com/support/dyslex.html
    and may also read this
    http://www.callbpi.com/support/speclens.html

I have a personal interest in this topic.

Occupation

for those who still believe in a flat earth - colour has no effect

Some of the symptoms in dyslexia can be addressed by use of colour / illumination (but not all, and it is essential that differing sequential and other information processing problems are understood by anyone practising in this area). But this is only the tip of the iceberg, colour can be VERY powerful in many conditions - a 20 week post grad course is planned in UK starting late this year for optometrists / medics / opticians.
    I currently work full time in research in this area (and have done for over 10 years) and the effects achievable would stagger most ODs and opticians.
    Medical effects are numerous (and well documented) and further clinical trials are in progress. Brain scans are particularly impressive, but it must be understood that only a sub group have major changes.
    However it is also apparent that many people that use colour have little knowledge of measurement, assessment and treatment techniques. An optometric / optical training is of little value in this area without a significant increase in knowledge. And you need a lot of knowledge in this area before you can prescribe accurately.

For Ian Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jordan
    Medical effects are numerous (and well documented) and further clinical trials are in progress. Brain scans are particularly impressive, but it must be understood that only a sub group have major changes.
    But this is only the tip of the iceberg, colour can be VERY powerful in many conditions.
    Maybe a stupid question. How about the effect on epilepsy?

Occupation

epilepsy

about 4 % of epilepsy is considered a visually evoked problem.
    This is either due to colour, flicker or pattern effects (similar to moire fringing)
    Control of visual stimulus can often stop or reduce frequency of epilogenic episodes.

This is a highly debated subject.
    I'd just like to see some controlled unbiased studies, not opinions or testimonials.

Does anyone know where I'd find that?

Occupation

colour

plenty about - if you have some knowledge it is easy to find.
    Suggest you start with magnocellular processing, then look at medical research councils work - lots of trials of the effects of colour and flicker.
    You need to understand psychophysical principals, colour space , metamerism, differences between additive and subtractive colour - there is loads of fully accepted work out there. If you think it is just testimonials you are on a different planet!

I have presented papers at a numbers of peer reviewd conferences
    such as
    Royal College of Ophthalmologists national conference
    World Dyslexia Congress
    British Psychological Association conference
    International Special Educational needs conference
    International dyspraxia foundation international conference

perhaps you would like to see some of the effects later this year at the
    World Ergonomics conference
    or
    World Autism Conference

(both peer reviewed)
    Much of my work was reviewed by UK government scientists - the science is sound, not to understand is going to become unacceptable in the future

... If you think it is just testimonials you are on a different planet!
    .... the science is sound, not to understand is going to become unacceptable in the future
    You are obviously very passionate about your work.

I am merely trying to obtain factual knowledge. I have not yet formed an opinion, as other people I know have.

I don't know if it's just testimonials, that is why I asked for more information. The links that I followed from above, seemed to only have testimonials.

I'm pretty sure I am on the same planet, thanks. ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Having worked in an Opticians next to a giant newspaper printing plant, I was amazed to see how much effect chromagen lenses had on patients with colour-blind issues. Basically with the lenses some of the workers could pass the tests that were laid down, and without them, they did not. Not scientific, but pretty black and white in my book

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Suggest you start with magnocellular processing, then look at medical research councils work - lots of trials of the effects of colour and flicker.
    You need to understand psychophysical principals, colour space , metamerism, differences between additive and subtractive colour - there is loads of fully accepted work out there. If you think it is just testimonials you are on a different planet!

I have presented papers at a numbers of peer reviewd conferences
    such as
    Royal College of Ophthalmologists national conference
    World Dyslexia Congress
    British Psychological Association conference
    International Special Educational needs conference
    International dyspraxia foundation international conference

perhaps you would like to see some of the effects later this year at the
    World Ergonomics conference
    or
    World Autism Conference

(both peer reviewed)
    Much of my work was reviewed by UK government scientists - the science is sound, not to understand is going to become unacceptable in the future
    Sounds impressive, looks impressive, but where is the list of peer reviewed articles that have been published in the major ophthalmologic and optometric journals?

Occupation

look and you will find

There are literally hundreds (perhaps thousands) of papers in these journals - the trick is to be able to see the bigger picture as each paper is a small part of the whole. e.g. metamerism is fully accepted and researched but how many people understand it and take it into account when prescribing filters. Medical effects of colour e'g bilorubin manufacture, seasonal affective disorder are well known but which optometrist takes SAD into account when prescribing - or perhaps what has been published is ignored as inconvenient.

You should also look at psychological and medical journals as the optical field is only part of the picture and you will find enormous numbers of papers.
    The best research I am doing is at the sharp end and will not be published for a number of years (and even then only if commercially acceptable) - most papers in the journals are not the most exciting areas of research- these are virtually always restricted by commercial confidentallity. That does not mean that they are not valid - only that they have not been released for scrutiny by people that often have their own agenda or are a commercial rival. In one project I am working on (at a medical school) we are achieving cross sensory modulation effects using visual stimulus that is dramatic but it will only be published in part and even then not in a form that could be understood by an optometrist.

Occupation
    Please cite some specific articles.

Occupation

articles

look up magocellular processing and you will get lots of relevant articles as a start.
    fourier analysis of temporal processing will also be good
    Once you understand the implications of understanding this then you can start getting into the subject. - don't expect it to be easy though!

Thread Information