View Poll Results: What's your favorite store bought BBQ sauce?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bull's Eye

2 6.06%
  • KC Masterpiece

9 27.27%
  • Jack Daniel's

6 18.18%
  • Open Pit

4 12.12%
  • Heinz 57

1 3.03%
  • Other (Don't be afraid to post below)

11 33.33%

Thread: What's your favorite BBQ sauce?

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper What's your favorite BBQ sauce?

For the grill masters out there, what's your favorite store bought barbecue sauce?
    Last edited by Joann Raytar; 06-02-2004 at 04:05 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is a local BBQ place here called King's and they sell their own sauce and I prefer it to others. In Virginia (and Carolina for that matter) BBQ is a religion. Every year they have a contest between the states for the best BBQ. If I am correct, I believe NC has won for the last few years (I am SURE Warren will know, that fine ole Southern Boy)!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie BBQ Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Hamlin
    There is a local BBQ place here called King's and they sell their own sauce and I prefer it to others. In Virginia (and Carolina for that matter) BBQ is a religion. Every year they have a contest between the states for the best BBQ. If I am correct, I believe NC has won for the last few years (I am SURE Warren will know, that fine ole Southern Boy)!
    I'm sure he will know, but I have to say, that my family does a great barbeque on the 4th of July, for sure. My children would rather miss Christmas and all the other holidays rather than our family 4th. It's one of those that it takes days to cook for and the night before is an all nighter with the pit full and all of the grills and smokers going.

My mother's brunswick stew is pert near the best this side of heaven. I may be just now learning how to do it right.

When my mother asked my son what he wanted her to leave him, he simply said the recipe and the pot to cook it in.

MMMM

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Novice
    Hey there Diane!!

Sounds like we are all coming to visit you on the 4th!!

And to you Cindy~~Have you ever checked out the BBQ sauce that is made in our own backyard??? Across town that is!!!

It really wins hands down or up which ever (SAUER's barbecue sauce) it's made with a vinegar and tomato base~~~~try it you'll like it I promise.

You know that I'm (a transplanted Virginian) from NC, Lord help me!!!;)

HUGS
    Shelby

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shelby, I am glad you came out here to the big playground! I had no idea that Sauer's was from here in Richmond. I love it too. The King's souce is just about identical to it (you know it's their own secret special sauce;).)

I am surprised that Warren hasn't chimed in on this. He is my authority on all things North Carolinian! Where is that fine Southern boy??
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use KC Masterpiece as my generic everyday sauce. I have to admit though I was pretty impressed with the sauce I had at "The Salt Lick" in Texas. Not sure that I would use it on an everyday basis though.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's funny you mention The Salt Lick. The Food Network just did a spot on the Barbeque Sauce of the Month and I was reading a review about The Salt Lick Sauce on their website.

http://www.bbqsauceofthemonth.com/

I guess that makes you a second positive review. Thanks Ray!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you ever pass through the airport in Austin you can try it there. The have a restaurant set up in the terminal. I tried it at their regular restaurant, but I honestly couldn't tell you where that was.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    depends on the kind of 'Q' I'm making... for pulled anything, I prefer a carolina-type sauce that my granddaddy made (irony is, he was originally from Alabama) that nobody in the family can quite figger out how to reproduce accurately. For Ribs, I use a home-brewed compound because none of that bottled tripe at the grocery store will satisfy me. For anything else (like chicken or pork chops...) I use a blend of Hoisin Sauce and Szechuan Brown Sauce with a little salt added to enhance the flavour (since the brands I use have very little if any salt in them).

'course, everything pertaining to 'Q' is open to heated debate, since there is no real "right" way to do it... but I find that my methods satisfy me and many of my family and friends...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Best Bar B Que Sauce

Without a doubt Williamson Brothers. Like most things worth having we purchase it by the gallon in plastic jugs. Costco or Sam's just started carrying it for about $8.00. It works pretty well on ribs, chicken, chops, and beef. These two brothers came from Alabama and found better business in Atlanta. After all there are more Bar - B - Que places in Alabama than convience stores.

Give it a try - you won't be dissapointed

http://realpagessites.com/williamsonbros/page5.html

Rep

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know I wouldn't need this poll if it weren't for the lack of good BBQ in Connecticut. There used to be a place in Stratford called the Texas Barbecue and it was the best stuff I had ever had. They closed down a number of years ago and the only place that comes close is an hour away on a good day. I went to a place last weekend that claimed to be the best in CT only to find out that their brisket and pulled pork were too dry and tasteless and their Texas Chili was the equivalent of ground beef with taco seasoning on it.

I've got a weber that does a good job with small stuff but I may have to buy my own smoker to come up with a good brisket. After this poll and some research, I have decided a good sauce just won't do it; I need to find a good way to cook the meat long and slow and find a few good rub recipes.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Brisket

Jo

Briskett does quite well in a large crock pot with liquid smoke and some of the sauce I recomended at the very end of the cooking time. Give it a try with your favorite.

I use it with just about anything other than fish.

Chops, Loin, Beef of all cuts, Chicken

Rep

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Home Brew

Hello Colleagues,
    Cindy, NC has a plethora of excellent places for BBQ. Around my areas (Easten NC) the sauces are typically vinegar based and many of these brew their own sauces.....all excellent. I do not have a store-bought favorite, but much prefer local flavor. Some of them even provide some additional sweetener, if you know what I mean. A smidgen of Jack Daniels in the mix provides a bit f extra flavor, which is where the JD brand of sauce came from if the story is correct.

Shelby.....welcome! Glad to see you here, and congratulations on your semi-retirement.

Warren

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Since I live in the home of the best beef in the world (Alberta), I thought I would let everyone know about a sauce from up here. Cattleboyz, is the only thing I'll even consider putting on a piece of meat. It comes in two varieties, original and spicy. The spicy is more of a glaze and is amazing on BBQ salmon. The original is hands down the best BBQ sauce out there. You can check out their site and order a bottle or two. cattleboyz
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    Since I live in the home of the best beef in the world (Alberta),
    I'm going to have to beg to differ on that, as my dad has the best beef in the world in northwest Iowa! :)

The best sauce I know is Big Daddy's from Des Moines, IA. It has been featured on many news shows during political seasons, the news casts always come back for more. Unfortunately, Big Daddy died this year. Even though he had a wildly popular sauce, restaurant and catering business, his family was left with next to nothing because he gave so much to charity. Really a neat guy. His extra hot sauce is called "911", and all who have taken the challange to eat a sandwhich with it have ended up in the emergency room

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Beef?

Were talking BBQ here..........we all know in NC that PORK is real BBQ!

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Mmm mmm mmm...

Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    Were talking BBQ here..........we all know in NC that PORK is real BBQ!
    Having partaken of such beef barbeque as is served in the Southeast, I can understand why you would say such a thing, sir.

Were you to have the opportunity to savor the sublime succulence of beef barbeque as is often prepared in the shabbiest of surroundings in numerous places in the former republic (I speak of Texas), I believe your opinion might be enlightened thereby.

Thread Information