Thread: Wireless Network Problem

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Wireless Network Problem

I just set up a wireless router (Netgear WMB521) and got it working. Two of the PCs are still using an ethernet cable while the third one is using a D-Link PCI card (router and card are 802.11b).

Everything is working fine except for one thing. Although the D-Link PC has the full Internet connection, I can't get it to recognize the other PCs on the network, nor can those PCs access it. I ran the Home Networking Wizard on the D-Link PC but when it was done, not only did the local network not work, but it broke the Internet connection. Consequently I removed the bridge that was causing this problem and this restored the Internet.

Any advice on how to get the D-Link PC to be part of this local network? I have enabled file sharing and assigned it to the same workgroup, but its still not working.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol
    I just set up a wireless router (Netgear WMB521) and got it working. Two of the PCs are still using an ethernet cable while the third one is using a D-Link PCI card (router and card are 802.11b).

Everything is working fine except for one thing. Although the D-Link PC has the full Internet connection, I can't get it to recognize the other PCs on the network, nor can those PCs access it. I ran the Home Networking Wizard on the D-Link PC but when it was done, not only did the local network not work, but it broke the Internet connection. Consequently I removed the bridge that was causing this problem and this restored the Internet.

Any advice on how to get the D-Link PC to be part of this local network? I have enabled file sharing and assigned it to the same workgroup, but its still not working.
    Are all the PC's using DHCP to get their IP addresses? If not, they may be on different subnets (esp. if the two wired boxes are getting autoconfig adresses).

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve,

For starter's i would make sure that the the number of DHCP user's are correct.And then check to make sure that the numbers are assigned automatically. 2nd i would check to see if the router is set to open or shared key if wep is enabled. 3rd check to see if the IEEE 802.1x Authentication is enabled or disabled for both parties. 4 th check the MAC filter address . 5th Is the Domain name the same?

Occupation
    It looks like it may have been a firewall issue. I think I've got it resolved now. Thanks!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It looks like it may have been a firewall issue. I think I've got it resolved now. Thanks!
    Was the problem with the firewall in the router or in Xp. I'll go on a hunch and say it had to do with Xp. Either that or other installed software i.e. Nortons, Zone Alarm..etc.

Occupation
    I configured the Norton firewall to allow connections from the local network (192.168.0.x) and that seems to have fixed it so far. I don't use the firewall in XP Home.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Spoke too soon. As soon as I rebooted I lost all connections - Internet and local network. I disabled all firewalls yet I still can't get reconnected.

Is there a source available somewhere that provides a simple explanation of how to get a wireless connection working? I mistakenly assumed tht Win XP would be more advanced in this regard but I was wrong.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    The NetGear web-site was useful (for me) when I was hooking up my Wireless Router. I was only working through the WEP stuff, since I don't need to do sharing. So I'm not sure what they have on that part.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Steve,

There are some significant differences between XP Home Edition and XP Professional when it comes to networking. Also you can expect issues with a heterogenious network. Keep cranking and you may iron out all of your problems.

Look at this as a learning experience as it certainly is. Working through this challange will give you a wanm, fuzzy feeling. Failure and you may end up with your head in the oven. In any case, try to document everything you do (IP addresses, etc.) because chances are pretty good that you will have to do it again. And, again.

Peace,

Dick

Bad address email on file Rick Strong's Avatar
    Steve, do I understand correct that you have 2 routers on the same network?

If so, one should definately have the DNS turned off. I would even replace one of the routers with a hub or switch.

Rick Strong

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

XP Home.......

I configured the Norton firewall to allow connections from the local network (192.168.0.x) and that seems to have fixed it so far. I don't use the firewall in XP Home.
    Steve,
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but XP Home does not support TCP/IP routing or DNS. In short, you will be able to surf the net from the computers attached to the router, but will not be able to network the computers for file or print sharing.:(

Occupation
    Actually I have one router which includes both ethernet connection and wireless. Also I have fixed the problem.

What I had to do was disable the encryption on the wireless network. This allowed the one PC with the wireless card to connect to both the Internet and the shared files on the other PCs on the network. I then re-established the encryption, only this time I used 64-bit instead of 128-bit. I generated a new encryption key, put this into the wireless PC and the connection still held. I rebooted a few times and everything is working fine.

Since this is Marlena's new PC, I downloaded all of her personal files (about 200MB) from her existing PC to the new wireless one. It worked very smoothly. :)

My next task is to transfer her Outlook Express emails and settings from the old PC to the new one. Unfortunately Microsoft makes this very difficult to do.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Congrat's....glad to see it work out. The only ? i would have is why does it work at 64 bit Wep and not 128. The most common mistake with 128 is that when the key is generated not all of the values are displayed.You have to right arrow over to see the last three or four values.Unlike 64 bit ...the box for 128 appears full but theres more.

Occupation
    It did work sometimes with 128-bit so I'm sure the key was fine. However it would stop working after I rebooted and I could not get it to work again.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It did work sometimes with 128-bit so I'm sure the key was fine. However it would stop working after I rebooted and I could not get it to work again.
    Either way :) ...........Glad to see things are up and running ;) .

Thread Information