Thread: Poly photochromic progressive for soldier

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Poly photochromic progressive for soldier

The wife of one of our patients who's stationed in Iraq came in this morning with a request from her husband to have GTE progressives lenses ground to fit his Wiley-X SG-1 frame. Also he needs photochromic (sun protection and also to have his eyes seen when the general addresses him indoors). OK, as far as I know there is no GTE progressive, and we don't carry Wiley-X product (he got that at Fort Drumm), and the guy is wearing a FT28! Leave aside for a moment the problem that we have binocular, not monocular, PDs and no progressive corridor height. I could fudge those based on the measurements I have from his FTs. I can also substitute Liberty's Rec-Spec Biker for his SG-1; it's nylon, sturdy, and wraps well.

The question is this: if he insists on progressives, what lens do I use?

My thinking so far goes: hard-design for good peripheral; avoid aspherics because of the wide, wrap lens. I look in the Lens book and find the Essilor Natural, Ovation, and Shamir Genesis. My experience with both the Natural and Ovation is that they are soft-design with resulting peripheral fuzz. I don't know the Genesis.

Any suggestions on what type of lens to use? Or do I dig in my heels and say FT or nothing? Or do I send his wife to the optical shop in the PX at Hanscomb (nearby) and let them deal with it?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Here are the poly PAL's available in transitions grey:
    - Gradal Top
    - Adapter (Harder Design)
    - Natural
    - Ovation
    - Comfort
    - Panamic
    - Solamax
    - Solaone
    - VIPGold
    - Sola Vistuality
    - Vision Ease Outlook
    - Younger Image

In the brown:
    - Vision Ease Outlook
    - Panamic
    - Younger Image

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It could be possible that the soldier is referrring to GE's lexan (tm) for poly. Just a thought.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Poly?

Ooops. This is edited:Thanks for the list of Transitions poly progressives.

My question is: of that group, which progressive would you recommend for a guy who's wearing a FT28, wants to move into a progressive, and will be putting the lenses into a 61-17 nylon wrap sunglass frame? Or would you just tell him to stick with FTs and put the FT in that frame instead?
    Last edited by Andrew Weiss; 05-18-2004 at 01:39 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS
    It could be possible that the soldier is referrring to GE's lexan (tm) for poly. Just a thought.
    Thanks; it makes sense.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    How much does he want to go into a progressive? If he really wants to go into a progressive probably any of those would work. If you don't really know and he doesn't really care, probably stick with a flat top. Additionally, without any measurements you might want to be careful.

I would probably do the Adapter Airwear. It is not too expensive either.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you. I've sent him an email and strongly suggested he stay in the FT. I'll see how he responds.

I've done a Wiley X for a soldier in Iraq. I would need to know the Rx first. If it is minimal I would use Gradal top.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mrba
    I've done a Wiley X for a soldier in Iraq. I would need to know the Rx first. If it is minimal I would use Gradal top.
    Rx is -1.75 -0.50 OU with a 1.25 add (in a PAL). I wonder about the Gradal, or any aspheric design, in a wrap frame like that. What base curve did you use? The RecSpec Biker comes with an 8.00 base; does the Wiley X also? I've used 6.00 base in wrap frames before (like Carrera suns), and it's ok except of course the lens protrudes on the front at the edges.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Andrew, do the soldier and yourself a big favor and put him in flat-tops. If you can't fit them properly the chances are pretty slim that he'll ever be comfortable with the pal. Regardless of the pal you use. Especially in the frames that he wants to use.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CME4SPECS,

Thank you. I've felt much the same way about this. I'd prefer to see him continue in FTs, and maybe try progressives when he returns from duty. Sometimes I let myself get caught in agreeing to what the patient says he wants even when I know that his chances of success are maybe 10% or less.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Resolution

Thanks to all who posted on this thread and helped out. I got a response to my email from our soldier patient, which I paste in here. Interesting that he's having no problem switching from FT to progressive; we hve several other patients (and myself, actually) who also do the same. Hanscomb is a former AFB that still has a military presence and a PX on site.

First off, I'd like to say I have been very pleased with my Bi-focals with the Flexion frames. They have been working out quite well for the majority of time. Where I run into a problem is during the dust storm.

I currently have a pair of Wiley-Xs for the dust. The lenses are polycarbonate, photochromaticand progressive. They only offered progressives. Suprisingly, I have not had any trouble adjusting to them. I was looking for a second set of lenses that were polarized.

I think at this point, we go to Hanscom PX

I would always try a progressive in that situation. I suppose my only reservation would be that he can't just come in for the redo. I think the hesitation here was because of that and not the non adapt issue.

Thread Information