Thread: Book Reviews (Dan Brown)

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Thumbs up Book Reviews (Dan Brown)

I've been doing a lot of flying this month, so I've had the chance to rip through a few books lately (nothing takes the edge off an "equipment delay" better than a good book!)...

Anyway, before reading the DaVinci Code, I wanted to read the other books out there by Dan Brown. For those of you who haven't given into the craze yet, I can highly recommend this author!

Digital Fortress and Deception Point are both Clancyesque novels about the NSA and NASA respectively. Both involve the intelligent-but-dashing hero, the intelligent-and-pretty damsel, and a scientific-political mystery that needs solving. Whichever book you choose first, you are likely to be surprised by the plot turns and final solution.

Unfortunately- and this is the only weakness in his writing- once you finish the first novel, you'll begin to see patterns in the plot turns (they become a little predictable, in my opinion). However, even though you know where the story is going, getting there is still intriguing (and that's the sign of a good storyteller, IMHO).

Angels & Demons is simply spellbinding. If you happen to like theology and church history (like myself), you'll enjoy the book- unless you are extremely conservative and don't tolerate any objective perspective on church history. The book isn't particularly anti-church, but let's just say it leaves one feeling a little agnostic anyway. If you enjoy art, Rome, travel, or science, you will REALLY find this intriguing.

Anyway, I will probably give in and purchase a hard-cover edition of DaVinci (what's sad is, I noticed this book in a Waldenbooks store last year- before it became popular- and it was discounted... I would have figured it to be out in paperback by now). If this book is as good- or, perish the thought, better than- Angels & Demons, it will probably vault right up into my top five list...

So, anyone else out there reading Dan Brown? Anyone else find a new author to recommend?

And, can anyone decipher this code (which appears at the end of Digital Fortress?!?
    128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

(Note: Okay, I finally figured it out... you need a copy of the book, however)
    Last edited by Pete Hanlin; 05-17-2004 at 03:19 PM.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If you like really well done humor, pick up Calvin Trillin's "Tepper Isn't Going Out"; it's about finding a parking place in NYC--I know how strange that sounds, but it is hilarious. This man becomes obsessed and builds his life around his parking fetish. Also just got back a book from my sister that I read a bit ago called "Everybody Was So Young"; it's the biography of Sara and Gerald Murphy--they were great friends of the Fitzgeralds, Hemingway, Picasso etc--very lost generation and lots of details from that period of time. Author is Vaill, can't remember first name, it's a woman.

The DaVinci Code is really engrossing, and not a little creepy. He plays a little fast and loose with the facts, but hey, it's fiction!!!

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It's bianary Pete...

My father just finished The Davinci Code and I'm going to borrow it and read it next week (got a few other irons in the fire right now) We talked about it some and to me it sounds very similar to Holy Blood/Holy Grail but written as a novel rather than documentation. Beringer DeSuanier, Cure` of a church in France is where the story begins and follows a list of names that go from the Free Masons all the way back to the Rose Croix, their envolvement or alleged envolvement in many intresting matters. Good stuff but too much specualtion at the end.

I need to finish two books by Bob Woodward first though Veil and Plan of Attack.

Talk to you later,

Darris C.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have read all of Dan Brown's novels and I think they are really fun and spellbounding to read. I trend toward spy thrillers, technothriler, etc but was really intriqued with the church concepts. I am no historian but it is certainly plausable. Brown throws in enough known historical fact to completely lend the credence that the story needs. I and my wife not only read DaVinci Code but have also been listening to it on DVD. What a fun way to read the book while traveling! :) For a good escape, read Dan Brown.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If any of you "southern" ladies like a good read, might I suggest the "Sweet Potato Queens" There are several installments of the book, right now I am reading "The sweet potato queens book of love" Absolutely HILARIOUS!!

The books center around a group of ladies from Jackson, Mississippi. They start a movement with large red-headed wigs and green sequined dresses and appear in the St. Patty's day parade annually. They throw sweet potato's to the adoring crowds who have come to know them!

Wonderful "girly" book!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis
    If any of you "southern" ladies like a good read, might I suggest the "Sweet Potato Queens" There are several installments of the book, right now I am reading "The sweet potato queens book of love" Absolutely HILARIOUS!!

The books center around a group of ladies from Jackson, Mississippi. They start a movement with large red-headed wigs and green sequined dresses and appear in the St. Patty's day parade annually. They throw sweet potato's to the adoring crowds who have come to know them!

Wonderful "girly" book!
    Jana,
    You will love the Book of Love! I couldn't put it down. I just finished reading Big Fish the book the movie was based on. I thoroughly enjoyed it if it did take me a while to get into it. I knew a little about the movie and that he told stories, but it took me a bit still.

Before that I read Sweet Caroline about Caroline Kennedy. It was kind of sad hearing how she grew up and what you and I take for granted like dating, pimples, getting chubby that was taken as a national spectacle. Very well written and a wonderful testament to Jackie that she came out so wonderfully average (except for the millions part)!

I have just started Carson McCuller's The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. I am only to the 3rd chapter but thoroughly love it.

And Pete, don't you know about Amazon.com? You can get new books, cds, etc for a major discount. If you don't mind used (I don't do used CDs) you can get it for a real steal. Check it out. It is similar to Ebay in that the sellers are rated.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file

50/50

I read Da Vinci. First half was so spellbinding it ruined the ending. I felt that the second half wasn't nearly as intriguing as the first. But alas, I had to finish the book, because I hoped throughout the scond half, that it would get good again.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I agree with oculus , the first half of the Da Vinci code is excellent, second half
    bit of a let down, also i figured out the baddie as soon as he was introduced,still
    a good enough read.

I am a big fan of a writer called Lee Child, He has a series of books about a character called Jack Reacher. Reacher is ex major in the military police but has turned into a drifter after leaving the army.

lots of action, great plots, Reacher is a truly iconic character. Its best to try and read them in the order they were published as some threads carry between subsequent novels.
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Thread Information