Thread: Wireless Router

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Wireless Router

We have desktops in both our offices and were trying to network them with the Doctors laptop using Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Routers. The wireless connection in one office works fine but the connection keeps dropping in our other office. Any tips on fixing the problem?

All the lights on the modem with the poor connection are lit but blinking pretty rapidly.

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jo,
    Is there anything that could be causing interfearance with the router ie cordless phone,lab equiptment?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only the router is up by the destop with nothing but the office phone and the credit card machine. The only thing between the router and the Doc's desk is his exam equipment.

Do these things work like cell phones, could it be the building? If it is, is there any way to work around it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have seen instances where cell phones have caused a problem,but only when the cell was in use. I would check the signal strength at the computer in question. If it is low you can obtain a signal booster from linksys. If the signal is good then i would verify that the SSID, WEP (if inabled) and TX key on the pc coincide with the router.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Try using the laptop in the same room as the router and see if the connection improves. If so, there's probably something in the office causing the signal to weaken. It could be interference from another device, or it could be some material in the walls causing it. The distance from the router to the laptop can also play a role.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake
    Try using the laptop in the same room as the router and see if the connection improves. If so, there's probably something in the office causing the signal to weaken. It could be interference from another device, or it could be some material in the walls causing it. The distance from the router to the laptop can also play a role.
    Blake, the connection is better in the same room. I would say the distance between the router and the laptop normally is about 15 feet. I wonder if I put the router up above the dropped ceiling tiles if that would help? I wonder if the buildings metal framing could do it?

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I haven't tried one myself, but I'm told that some routers and access points can be fitted with optional high-gain antennas, which increase their range significantly.

I have the same problem with the same router!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I have seen instances where cell phones have caused a problem,but only when the cell was in use. I would check the signal strength at the computer in question. If it is low you can obtain a signal booster from linksys. If the signal is good then i would verify that the SSID, WEP (if inabled) and TX key on the pc coincide with the router.
    P.S. Also make sure to disable the firewall on the computer in question. No need to worry............. the router has it's own firewall.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The connection works fine in one of our offices it just doesn't like the other; however, I didn't know that about the firewall.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo
    The connection works fine in one of our offices it just doesn't like the other; however, I didn't know that about the firewall.
    I was just assuming that it was running xp. If thats the case....... the two firewalls dont play together well at all.Although is does not make sense that it would connect to one network and not the other. The problem has to be with the pc's WEP or TX key...... they must match in Hex form and Bit type to be compatible with windows.Did you check the SSID ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was just assuming that it was running xp. If thats the case....... the two firewalls dont play together well at all.Although is does not make sense that it would connect to one network and not the other. The problem has to be with the pc's WEP or TX key...... they must match in Hex form and Bit type to be compatible with windows.Did you check the SSID ?
    The office the router isn't playing nice in has XP; the router works on the other machine running Win98SE

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can the computer locate (see) the "bad" router?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    As I understand it, the computer in question has a connection to the router, it's just not a good connection. That would imply a problem with the signal strength. Placing the router above the ceiling tiles might help (signals travel easier through ceiling tiles than through most walls).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can the computer locate (see) the "bad" router?
    Blake explained the problem well. Maybe I'll see if I can get a longer wire from Radio Shack and place the router at a higher location.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo
    We have desktops in both our offices and were trying to network them with the Doctors laptop using Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Routers. The wireless connection in one office works fine but the connection keeps dropping in our other office. Any tips on fixing the problem?
    I know this thread died a long time ago, but I wanted to share my experience with the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G). Prior to this weekend, I had two PCs (running Windows 2000 thanks to the folks at Optos) connected via cables to the router and three PCs (running Windows XP) connected via the wireless adapters. Although the connection never seemed to truly drop, accessing the patient management software (OfficeMate) from any PC but the one containing the data files was VERY slow and sometimes it would freeze up on us. I finally got fed up with it and spent Sunday morning drilling holes in the cabinets and walls to hide the cables for hardwiring two of the three wireless connections. I could tell the difference immediately; I would conservatively estimate a five to ten times increase in speed with the hardwired connections.

(Ditto the advice on disconnecting the firewalls, including Norton's.)
    Last edited by 1968; 04-06-2005 at 01:41 AM.

Thread Information