Thread: Windows XP Firewall

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Windows XP Firewall

Anyone have a clue if the firewall that comes with XP is enough? I had been running Zone Labs with Win98SE but it wasn't an XP compatible version. Since XP came with its own firewall I haven't installed anything else.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jo, here's all the info you need here:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp

According to what I've heard once you download the patch it protects you from Sasser.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Hi Jo,

Windows XP firewall is probably sufficient, if you don't have to do much in the way of port mappings and static filters (e.g. as may be required with gaming and VPNs) and don't need all the bells and whistles. If you just want something to keep you protected from internet worms and snoops, the XP firewall should do ya just fine. It's also very important to make sure you keep up to date on critical windows updates.

-KB

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by keithbenjamin
    Hi Jo,

(e.g. as may be required with gaming and VPNs)
    -KB
    Any advice if you happen to play a little bit of Diablo multiplayer online? Is there a better alternative? I know Zone Labs had to be configured; all I did with XP was activate it.

PS - Thanks for the Sasser link Cindy!

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If you're not hosting games, it should work as-is otherwise, you'll need to open TCP port 4000 and UDP port 6112.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ports.asp

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

XP Firewall

If your network uses Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to provide Internet access to multiple computers, it is a good idea to turn on Internet Connection Firewall on the shared Internet connection. However, you can turn on Internet Connection Sharing and Internet Connection Firewall separately. It is a good idea to turn on Internet Connection Firewall on the Internet connection on any Windows XP-based computer that is connected directly to the Internet.
    Internet Connection Firewall can also protect a single computer that is connected to the Internet. If you have a single computer that is connected to the Internet with a cable modem, a DSL modem, or a dial-up modem, Internet Connection Firewall protects your Internet connection. Do not turn on Internet Connection Firewall for virtual private network (VPN) connections because Internet Connection Firewall interferes with file sharing and other VPN functions.
    Internet Connection Firewall is a "stateful" firewall. A stateful firewall is one that monitors all aspects of the communications that cross its path and inspects the source and destination address of each message that the firewall handles. To prevent unsolicited traffic from the public side of the connection from entering the private side, Internet Connection Firewall keeps a table of all of the communications that have originated from the computer that is running Internet Connection Firewall. For a single computer, Internet Connection Firewall tracks traffic that originates from the computer. If you use Internet Connection Firewall in conjunction with Internet Connection Sharing, Internet Connection Firewall tracks all of the traffic that originates from the computer that is running Internet Connection Firewall and Internet Connection Sharing, and tracks all of the traffic that originates from private network computers. Internet Connection Firewall compares all inbound traffic from the Internet to the entries in the table. Inbound Internet traffic is permitted to reach the computers in your network only if there is a matching entry in the table that shows that the communication exchange began in your computer or private network.
    It is not a good idea to turn on Internet Connection Firewall on any connection that does not directly connect to the Internet. IF you turn on Internet Connection Firewall for the network adapter of a client computer that is running Internet Connection Sharing, Internet Connection Firewall interferes with some communications between that computer and all other computers on the network. For a similar reason, you cannot use the Network Setup Wizard to turn on Internet Connection Firewall on the Internet Connection Sharing host private connection. This is the connection that connects the Internet Connection Sharing host computer with the Internet Connection Sharing client computers. Turning on a firewall in this location would completely prohibit network communications.
    You can use the Internet Connection Firewall security logging feature to create a security log of firewall activity. Internet Connection Firewall can log both traffic that is permitted and traffic that is rejected. For example, incoming echo requests from the Internet are not permitted by Internet Connection Firewall by default. If the Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Allow incoming echo request setting is not turned on, the inbound request does not succeed, and a log entry that notes the unsuccessful inbound attempt is generated.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Jo!

Which realm do you play on? Do you play ladder?

I recently reinstalled my copies of the Diablo II game and LoD. Ended up having to start all over because too much time had passed and all my chars were expired.

I have been using the firewall in XP for the past year with no problems whatsoever in game play on the realms. The only games I have trouble with are the ones through MSN or popcap. Then it is only a few that are affected by the firewall.

Cassandra

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee
    Hey Jo!

Which realm do you play on? Do you play ladder?

I recently reinstalled my copies of the Diablo II game and LoD. Ended up having to start all over because too much time had passed and all my chars were expired.

I have been using the firewall in XP for the past year with no problems whatsoever in game play on the realms. The only games I have trouble with are the ones through MSN or popcap. Then it is only a few that are affected by the firewall.

Cassandra
    I play in US East but it has also been awhile and I had to create a new character as well, Paladin named Cyndrwyn.

Sun Java gave me a hard time with Popcap games; it also decided to blow up MS Virtual Machine and my control panel. PC never was the same after that. Support isn't available for MS Virtual Machine anymore due to a class action suit against Microsoft by Sun Microsystems. I got fed up with trying to fix MS98 and gave in and upgraded to XP.
    Last edited by Joann Raytar; 05-09-2004 at 12:14 AM.

Hello the best application is Kaspersky Anti-Virus thanx G-d i don't have any Sasser virus although its not what you requested but hopefully it'll be useful logterm.:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OdTech
    Hello the best application is Kaspersky Anti-Virus thanx G-d i don't have any Sasser virus although its not what you requested but hopefully it'll be useful logterm.:cheers:
    I've been using AVG Anti-virus by Grisoft. They have both free and professional versions with free unlimited upgrades. As far as I know, I haven't had a problem and it did a good job cleaning an existing virus it found on my old hard drive.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Jo, why not just download the Zone labs XP compatible version, it's free and works fine...

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    In case anyone is interested in performing a direct check of their firewall, here are 3 companies that scan/report your security. I listed 3 because some are more 'techy' and this will help all levels of users.

http://security.symantec.com

http://grc.com/default.htm

http://www.sygatetech.com

Hopefully you'll come out with a secure score.
    J. R. Smith

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    JRS,

Great Links!.............Thanks for sharing.:)

Thread Information