Thread: Idea: Stupid, or maybe not so stupid?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Idea Idea: Stupid, or maybe not so stupid?

:idea: What is "the board's" opinion of this:

Each patient gets one of those little screwdrivers at dispensing and is instructed how to tighten screws.

(This would be in conjunction with the ususal stuff: product literature, cleaning cloth and cleaner, case, etc.)

Will this reduce problems or create them?
    Last edited by drk; 05-04-2004 at 06:04 PM. Reason: spice it up

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Seen it done in the past, in fact some Walmarts still do it. The idea is great but many people over tighten or just are too dumb to use it.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

Better Idea: Peen all screws at time of dispensing as any good optician should.
    Screws in "those little packages" seldom fit anything, and if your patients could see to put the screws in they wouldn't need glasses.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I dispense a pr of glasses, I "schedule" an appointment for them to come back for a tune-up, professional cleaning, and nose-pad change. While I'm working on the glasses, they're browsing. This is better than any marketing newsletter I could ever have. They see the latest products I have in person.

I always thought that by giving them the tools you're telling them 2 things.

1.) I expect your glasses to fall apart.

2.) If your glasses need to be fixed or adjusted-do it yourself because there's really no skill involved.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    also, use a little invisible nail polish on the screws. Keeps them from backing off.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I don't think its a "stupid" idea... However, if I purchased a new car and the dealer gave me a tool set and said "You'll need these, because bolts will come loose from time to time," I'd be a little concerned.

Of course, if you present it under the light that "all frames require occasional maintanence" perhaps that might cast things in a different light. Even then, however, I would be concerned that patients are going to overtighten the screws.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    A bigger concern for the pt. tighrenting their own screws, would be when the screwdriver slips off the slot and either a) stabs them in the hand, or b) they skid the blade across their lens...then who are they going to be upset with?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    All good points! I guess it would make more sense not to do it, and invite them back for regular maintenance. I find the nail polish does work. Peening seems more "professional" somehow. Can the screws be removed later, though?

On a related note, do most opticians provide regular maintenance free of a service charge? What about minor parts such as nosepads or screws? What about if it's not an original customer? Adjusting glasses correctly is a huge service, and one rarely finds a top-notch optician who knows how to do it.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    If you lightly peen the screw, it will come out when you want it to- but not before.

As for adjustments, the better customers will do you the courtesy of asking how much the charge is after you have adjusted the frames for them. I always used to say something like, "I'm just happy to have been of service, but next time you need eyewear I hope you'll consider visiting us..." A lot of people did just that...

In fact, when I was part of a private practice start up (from scratch), I used to do repairs (and replacements, when the frame company would send one) for eyewear sold at the discount optical across town (who had a "no repair, no return" policy)- for no charge. I believe pretty much every individual who brought glasses for repair returned when it was time for their next pair (but then, that was a smaller- less transient- town).

Good luck,
    Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete forgot to tell you to use caution when peening over eyewire screws! :):)
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    also, use a little invisible nail polish on the screws. Keeps them from backing off.
    Are you seeing any crazing or cracking with poly? Are there ketones in nail polish? How long does it last?

I've been using loctite on the chassis screws before the glasses are dispensed. Lasts for one to three years depending on how much flexing and stress the frame receives. Very risky with poly. Seems to be more of a problem with Resolution. Anyone know of a safer alternative for poly (besides using trivex instead)? Peening is not an option.

Thanks

Robert

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been using Loctite 4850 from Breitfeld for several months with no adverse reaction on poly.

It can't hurt at all. Just tell them to tighten a little not a lot, and you will save your staff hours of screw jobs, making your office more productive, and saving you money.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro
    Are you seeing any crazing or cracking with poly? Are there ketones in nail polish? How long does it last?

I've been using loctite on the chassis screws before the glasses are dispensed. Lasts for one to three years depending on how much flexing and stress the frame receives. Very risky with poly. Seems to be more of a problem with Resolution. Anyone know of a safer alternative for poly (besides using trivex instead)? Peening is not an option.

Thanks

Robert
    I should mention, I do not use this on poly. I think lock tight is a waste of money. I find that nail polish works better, and it is not as messy.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For-Life

Thanks for your response. I have to use something that's safe with poly. I think I've found what I need...

Judy,

I just got off the phone with the folks at Breitfeld & Schliekert. They said that the Loctite 4850 that you recommended is safe to use with poly. Thanks so much for the tip.

Regards,

Robert

Hi!
    I am also eager to know about this...kindly response...

--------------------------------
    http://www.zonelinks.com
    --------------------------------
    The Power Link Dimension

OptiBoard Professional Eddie G's's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been using Loctite 4850 from Breitfeld for several months with no adverse reaction on poly.
    WOW I just ordered this stuff and it's expensive.
    $50 for a small bottle Cdn. Yikes!
    I hope it's worth it!

I've been using the Loctite 242 for my plastic lenses for years and that stuff is great!

Bad address email on file
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    On a related note, do most opticians provide regular maintenance free of a service charge? What about minor parts such as nosepads or screws? What about if it's not an original customer? Adjusting glasses correctly is a huge service, and one rarely finds a top-notch optician who knows how to do it.
    My store does adjustments for free whether they were bought there or not. We do warn that if they break we are not responsible, but thankfully that is normally a precaution that we don't have to follow through on. We doin't charge for screws, but we do charge for the first pair of nosepads bought from us if the frame wasn't bought from us. I just don't like my customers paying for someone else's nosepads. I agree with the above msg that free services bring in more business than any amount of advertising.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A large percentage of my new glasses sales are to people who just stopped in for adjustment and/or parts. Now whether they are gratefull for free service/parts or whether they feel obligated when they next need/want new glasses, it works for me. And yes the new sales generated from this far off-sets the costs of my time, and materials. Best of all I sometimes make a friend and there are never enough of these to go around.

Thread Information