Thread: Redo policies

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Redo policies

Hello all! I am curious as to what your expectations are for redos from your lab. Specifically Dr Redos-how long should you be able to go and still get one, should you get more than one at no charge? How much of your lab choice is affected by that redo policy and what would you change about your policy/policies if you could??
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Optometrist
    One Dr. redo is sufficient, within 90 days would be nice. If I don't get something like that, I'm feeling less than happy.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I agree with drk. Our policy is 1 redo within 60 days at half price.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    By the way, the lab's redo policy is the determining factor as to how long we tell patients they have to have their glasses remade at no charge.

If we are given 60 days from fabrication by the lab, we give 30 days from dispensing to the customer, which allows some play.

If we give them 30 days to adapt to their glasses, we have to do a phone followup at 2 weeks, to be sure they are on track.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

remake policies

we get 3 months on non adapt for progressive's, important not to extend this to the patient verbally at time of purchase, it makes it sound like some far off lab will make u another pair n/c, dr error 30 days, not fair to say the refractionist made an error, usually patient adaptation is the problem, more than one adaptation remake usually better to refund the patient!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    - 90 days for all policies
    - Full price at Non adapt
    - Half price at Dr. Error
    - 25 percent off with fitter error

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know who came up with the N/C Dr. Redo idea, but I think it is wrong for the lab and the optician to pay for the lenses. The only people to blame for an incorrect rx is the patient and the Dr. If the two of them can't figure out which is better between 1 and 2, they should be buying the lenses! When I misfit a pair of lenses I pay for the new ones.
    I do honor rx changes within a reasonable time, which may vary depending on the situation.
    Terry

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    CME4SPECS said:
    I don't know who came up with the N/C Dr. Redo idea, but I think it is wrong for the lab and the optician to pay for the lenses. The only people to blame for an incorrect rx is the patient and the Dr. If the two of them can't figure out which is better between 1 and 2, they should be buying the lenses! When I misfit a pair of lenses I pay for the new ones.
    I do honor rx changes within a reasonable time, which may vary depending on the situation.
    Terry
    Yeah, but try getting the OD to accept some responsibility.

We have a "MAKE THE PATIENT HAPPY" redo policy in our lab... Until we feel it is abused. Usually that means above the national redo ave.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any idea on the average number of dr. redos?

6%

OptiBoard Novice
    60 days 1 redo @ n/c is a minimum for any reason...I like to keep in-house policy well within labs policy so I have the option of being the good guy
    My personal preference is also to use a lab that allows me to go beyond their stated policy when justified.

Customer Service is as important to me as it is to my patients
    steve

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So you are saying 6% of jobs coming into a lab are going to be redone? I've always wondered, how bad it really is. What % is average breakage in a lab?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can remember when these were called CTD's (Charge to doctor). If the doctor owns even a little piece of the dispensary it is usually charged to the precriber. If he does not, the dispensary usually eats it, and of course takes advantage of whatever arrangement the lab will offer.

Exception, Rx's from those precribers who have so many re-do's that you suspect he is writing them wrong intentionally for patient's who leave his in-house operation. Then you either charge the doctor or refuse to fill his Rx's.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It bugs me that some docs refer their post cataract patients to us knowing of our 6-month policy for changes, but will try to keep their other rxs inhouse. We had a (post-op/ou) lady recently inform us that we should do a good job on her lenses, but that her husband needed to get his from the optical shop next to the doctor. We had made his last pair, and he had been very satisfied with them, so that didn't appear to be the issue. :angry:
    "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

Reality sets in

CME4SPECS said:
    So you are saying 6% of jobs coming into a lab are going to be redone? I've always wondered, how bad it really is. What % is average breakage in a lab?
    No way. 6% is doctor redo. On the west coast we are much more liberal with redo policies. If you include Dr redo, Scratch redo, and lab redo, transcription error etc. you could easily approach 25%. And now you want to talk breakage?

I have seen huge swings in this number, that could be due to a zillion factors, ie uncontrolled volume, machine out of calibration, or just poorly trained monkeys.

Generally if you can keep you production breakage below 5%, surface and finish you are a lab god. But I have seen 15-20% in friend's labs that were struggling.

I know you all can't figure out why your lab work costs so much, and why prices are high... so there's a little window into reality. Your free redo's aren't really free. You are paying bg bucks for them!!!

And heres the real scandalous point. If you can refract better than others, you are subsidizing the other loser docs in your pricing!:hammer:

CME,
    I am aware of two docs in my area with redo rates of about 25%. Makes you wonder how close the other 75% really are.

Thread Information