View Poll Results: For whom should you root?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Your new "local home" team- its where you live!

1 7.14%
  • Your old "home" team- its where your roots are!

3 21.43%
  • Any team you want- but never against the "local home" team.

6 42.86%
  • Any team you want- with no regard for the "local home" team.

4 28.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sports Poll- For whom should you root?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Sports Poll- For whom should you root?

Here's an interesting question that gets debated quite often on the Tampa sports radio shows...

You see, many of Tampa's residents are "transplants" (job relocators like myself, or retirees). We already have established affinities for our "home" teams. For me, this is the Indianapolis Colts- from the days they were in Baltimore, which was close to my home in Southcentral PA.

In Tampa, we have professional teams in Football (Bucs), Hockey (Lightning), and Baseball (Rays). For some of the teams- like the anemic Devil Rays- home games often see more fans rooting for the opposing team than the home team, especially when New York or Boston come to town.

This irritates many of the local fans- including the host of the local afternoon sports talk show. They feel you should abandon your old "home" team and root for the team you live near when you move. So, what is your opinion?
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Thumbs up

This irritates many of the local fans

Thats the whole point of going aint it...

Support who the hell you like but remember if your local team makes a big final, you aint got a right to a ticket.....Unless you have supported them.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It's funny that you should bring this up because we were just talking about this at work.

I am a native San Diegan which means that sports teams for me to root for are few and far between and not usually all that wonderful.

We are also a city that is full of transplants because of work, military, etc. Consequently, we do not have a city full of San Diego sports franchise fans and frankly not many have a reason to jump on our bandwagon. Who likes to root for a losing team?

I don't like to root for a losing team either but I still do because they are my teams and this is my hometown.

I think you should root for your hometeam but if you are a transplant, you can root for either your original team or your new one. Or, if there are no teams close to you, I guess you can root for whoever you want.

But everyone is going to do what they want anyway so.......

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There wouldn't be any bar room brawls if we all rooted for the same team! We ahve to fight about something else!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Some might call it fickle...

but I try to follow the local teams. We've moved a bit while my husband was active duty. In southern Virginia, I was a VA Squires fan, and part-time employee, while there was still an ABA. Then I became a Bullets fan, but lost interest when political correctness required the name change. I wear my 'Skins jersey for every game, as do my daughters. My husband and son have no interest in sports beyond golf and competitive cheerleading. When you move a lot, supporting the local home teams makes every thing a little easier, because after all, it's the HOME team.

I hope that made sense, because I have an awful headache and it's not closing time yet...

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Great comments...

As for me, I have adopted some teams- but not all.

I'm a Reds fan, because I idolized Pete Rose growing up. I rooted for the Phillies for a number of years while he was there, but I just couldn't bring myself to root for the Expos for the two seasons he played up there.

I'm a Colts fan for reasons already well documented. Although I did get caught up in the SuperBowl fury a couple years ago, I have to say I've never really caught on to being a huge Bucs fan.

I'm a Penn State fan (and always will be). I made too many happy trips to Happy Valley with my grandfather growing up to be anything else. During the five years I lived in Tallahassee, I tried mightily to become a Seminole fan. Although I enjoyed the games the doctors I worked for were kind enough to invite me to- there was just something always "wrong" with watching ACC football...

I have adopted the Lightning big time. I used to "kinda" root for the Penguins when I lived in Pennsylvania (and the Hershey Bears), but now that I live near a hockey team- especially one that plays the aggressive style of the Lightning- I'm hooked on hockey for good (just hope it doesn't end after this year).

I think John is right- if you really don't support the local team you have no real right to jump on the bandwagon. I'm really glad I rooted for the Lightning last year, because when they win the cup this year I will have an extra season under my belt. When the Colts win the SuperBowl this year, I have lots of tattered Colts clothing to wear which will testify to my long term committment to the team.

Overall, however, I think consistently rooting for any team is a good thing. It builds character (especially if you are a Colts fan ;^), it teaches patience (especially if you are a Colts fan ;^), and it becomes a part of your personality...

Go BOLTS!!!

PS- Nice to see you on-line, John!

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Pete.

I feel that you should cheer on the home team. Unless you are from Boston of course, because you can't beat the Red Sox or the Pats.

Even in New York, Red Sox nation is strong. The last couple of games in New York it sounded like they were at Fenway.

Which leads me to this. Which team in any sport do you think has the stongest following around the country?

I think Red Sox. and not just because I'm from Boston!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Which leads me to this. Which team in any sport do you think has the stongest following around the country?
    That's easy (although I don't follow them personally)- Notre Dame football! Just too many Catholics out there, I suppose.

Occupation
    Pete,

Thats a good one. I never thought of that!

Occupation
    Pete,

Now give me 2,3,4, and 5

And who is the most liked team player?
    Active?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Actually I think the sport IS football,....but

as its played in the UK! I don't know which team is the most popular, but I think Ian and John follow Manchester which is good enough for me. I find it somwhat more exciting than a turtle race, but thats probably because I haven't grasped the subtleties of the game. Give me American football anytime!

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Seems like there are Manchester United fans all over Europe (the Dallas Cowboys of soccer- er, football).

As far as the US goes, let's see...

#2 New York Yankees- The Spring Training games for the NYY are in Tampa- those tickets are hotter than the Devil Rays regular season games!
    #3 Boston Red Sox/Chicago Cubs (i.e., the "underdogs")- I think most of the country wants to see either the Sox or the Cubs break the curse... it was a travesty that they didn't end up in the Series together last year (but the curse wouldn't allow it).
    #4 Dallas Cowboys- Still America's team, I suppose- but the bandwagoner fans have left during these drought years. With Parcells at the helm, is a return to greatness in the wings?
    #5 Dale Earnhardt, Jr.- Don't forget all those drunk, redneck, racing fans out there! They get a couple hundred thousand to the track each week over the long season...

Penn State football is probably up in the top 10 or 20. The most "liked" (or at least "recognized") athlete today is probably either Tiger Woods.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Let's not forget Rugby, which is what happens when you cross the NFL with the WWF.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

I felt I needed to give you a example of confusing situation. I am a good ol' southern girl(from Northern Florida) and I recently moved to Minnesota. Now in the South We love football almost as much as we love our families. Here's the problem...I love my Gators, Noles, and Canes"...That's football...Here we have the Gophers. They are a good team, but it's not a frenzy type of thing. So what to do? I want to support them, but it's not the same thing....So I think support your home team(where you are from)and be respectful of the teams of where you live....

Oh and on the most enthusiastic fans, Notre Dame is good, but you've never seen the fans of the SEC.........

Christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, Pete, I've had to go through this twice.

When I moved from Philly to DC. I was a die Hard Flyers fan, but I was also a charter season ticket holder for the Capitals. For the first couple of seasons, yes, I wore my Flyers jersey to the games. I finally stopped when the Capitals fans outnumbered the Flyers fans.

I didn't have that problem with the Redskins, I was never really an Eagles fan all that much.

I learned from that mistake. When I moved here to Englewood,and got season tickets to the Bucs and Lightning, I backed both teams all the way.

HOWEVER, I WILL have a tough time next week when the Lightning play the Flyers (sorry Leafs fans). I will most likely be wearing my old Flyers t-shirt under my Lightning Jersey.:bbg:
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete Hanlin said:

#5 Dale Earnhardt, Jr.- Don't forget all those drunk, redneck, racing fans out there! They get a couple hundred thousand to the track each week over the long season...

Watch it there, Walter!

I'm not a Jr. fan, but neither myself or any of my friends that follow NASCAR are a bunch of drunk rednecks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    shanbaum said:
    Let's not forget Rugby, which is what happens when you cross the NFL with the WWF.

Actually, that was the XFL.......

Occupation
    EyeManFla said:
    Actually, that was the XFL.......
    You're right. How could I have forgotten about the XFL?

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Re: Actually I think the sport IS football,....but

hcjilson said:
    but I think Ian and John follow Manchester which is good

hj
    oh-oh! if that doesnt awaken John R i dont know what will!:bbg:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Oh and on the most enthusiastic fans, Notre Dame is good, but you've never seen the fans of the SEC.........
    I'm quite familiar with SEC fans (went to college in Tennessee- not UT, but nearby). Also, my wife is from Birmingham, AL. In fact, our first date was an Alabama-PSU game in Birmingham. I believe that was 1985 or 1986 (when PSU won one of their two national championships) so you can guess the outcome!
    ;)
    Also, several of my in-laws are diehard Gator fans, so you could say I'm "familiar." As for my impression, well- reference my comments about NASCAR fans! (Just kidding, well- sorta)
    :D
    The REAL question I have is... are you a VIKINGS fan (and, if you are, please accept my condolences). I mean, how does a team start out- what 5-0- and MISS the playoffs!?!

Okay, okay EyeMan- first, the "W" name doesn't need to be bantied about, so let's just put that away. Second, let's just agree that you and I both fall within the 0.85% of NASCAR fans who are not drunk rednecks (I think there was an actual study done that found this to be the percentage... ;^). Personally, I am a Mark Martin fan (from his Folgers days, through the Valvoline stage, and now with that current sponsor). I still put nothing but Valvoline in my automobiles!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tennessee VOLs football fans are always visible during the season....(Orange goes with anything, you know: It's the new black)....the fans always fill the very large stadium in Knoxville and people who are just listening on the radio have to wear the colors (it's nearly a religious requirement).... Try shopping on a game day in Chattanooga (not even the home campus town,) and not be flooded with by the orange sea! I ask my hubby (a UTK alumnus) what he wants for his birthday (In October) and he'll say, "I dunno...something orange???" The color takes up half his closet!
    My son didn't care much for football til he went to school in Knoxville and got infected.....
    I have to admit....I have a few orange accessories myself. My daughter secretly roots for Nebraska State because 2 of her senior classmates went there to school...the Bullock brothers. Good thing she has her own tv!
    One more aside: football is why our house has more tv sets than humans...so hubby won't miss a play no matter where he has to be...
    "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

Occupation
    Wow, I forgot about the Vols, too... didn't they used to be a factor in women's basketball?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    shanbaum said:
    Wow, I forgot about the Vols, too... didn't they used to be a factor in women's basketball?

OUCH!!!!!!! LOL

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, I'll concede that the SEC is overall the better football conference and the ACC is the premier basketball conference....Although.....

My son's Jr. High Principle was a Vol and loved to make fun of the fact that Steven was going to go to Maryland like me...

That changed in 2002, when the Terps beat the Vols in the Peach Bowl 30-3.

There is one thing I'll say about being a fan of a college team, especially here in Florida: If your a fan of let's say the Gators of the Noles, shouldn't you have at least gone to school there?????

That's what always ticked me off about Notre Dame fans. Most of them not only didn't go there, but most likely could have never gotten in.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gators

Pete

I "support" the Viking but don't cheer for them...My favorite NFL team is the Chiefs...Husband's favorite and so I have developed a deep love of the least respected team in the NFL.....

Christina

Thread Information