Thread: On-Line Product Information

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

On-Line Product Information

Last week, I invited everyone to look at a reference tool we've placed on the soon-to-be-launched essilorlenses.com. Since many of you do not have immediate access to the site, I've arranged to have the pages with this document altered to allow direct access.

So, without further ado-
    One of the projects we've been working on here at Essilor's Laboratory Development & Technical Services department is a reference tool called ELART.

What is ELART? The "Essilor Lens Availability and Reference Table," contains product information on pretty much every Essilor product available.

Want to know if Varilux Comfort is available in 1.60 index? Just look in ELART. Once there, you'll confirm not only its availability, but also the product's:
    Product number
    Blank sizes
    PAL engraving
    Base Curve availability
    Index of refraction
    Rx Range (total and by BC)
    Scratch Coating type
    UVA and UVB % transmission block
    Minimum Center Thickness
    Abbe Value
    Specific Gravity
    ADD range

Also, each product has a link that takes you to the base curve selection charts.

Anyway, I personally think this will be a pretty useful resource for our customers, and I'm proud of the effort and dedication my team gives to keeping it accurate and available.

Enjoy!

ELART On-Line
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Pete, Thanks a lot, that's some really great info; I bookmarked it on my Yahoo, maybe it'll save me bothering the customer service dept to ask for the info....?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Thank you, Pete

Bad address email on file Suzy W's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Pete! Definately a great resource.

Suzy

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Thanks Pete, as a lab rep. this is a great help.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    <bump>
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Thanks Pete. This really is an amazing resource!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Is Pete Hanlin in the house?

I would like to know more about some Essilor products that are not (or at least not currently) on ELART: DRx™. Physiotints™ and Ipseo™. Is there a DRx option for Varilux Panamic? Could my ECP order Varilux Panamic DRx with Transitions and/or with Crizal ALIZE? Or is DRx only available with the original "not Alize" Crizal? My questions are prompted by an Essilor USA press release from March 2002:
    Essilor of America, Inc. is rolling out its new proprietary in-lab lens casting technology called DRx ... DRx is now offered for Essilor's premium PALS, Varilux Panamic and Varilux Comfort for finished jobs only ... The material is a 1.56 index: A higher index material at a CR-39 price ...
    I would appreciate posts from any OptiBoard members that have experience with the Essilor DRx product. For the complete press release, click your mouse button on Just what the doctor ordered!

Are the Physiotints available in the USA? For-Life posted something on this from Canada a few days ago. I was only able to find references to the Physiotints on the Essilor European web sites (UK, France and Germany). Physiotints are lens tints that have been optimized for the most accurate color perception. For more info, click on Physiotints and on Physiotints color chart.

Finally about Ipseo: Could you say if Ipseo is coming to my area before the end of July? Before the end of 2004? My area is San Francisco, Berkeley, Oakland and San Jose. I would guess that it is priced well above what I would probably want to consider, but I just had to ask.

I have been looking for lens and frame options from as far back as a year ago. Something has been keeping me from going to an ECP to have my Rx updated and getting on with this necessity, but I think "something" has just about run its course. (I'll leave it at that.) From June to November 2003 I had the pleasure of three Email responses to my questions from TechQuestions@EssilorUSA.com but I think they got tired of my questions. The first one might have been a little stupid on my part, but the next three questions were short and to the point. Each time their answer came back to me within 24 hours. As it has been 10 working days since I sent them an Email about DRx, I don't think an answer from them is in the pipeline. I am guessing that either they cut back on staff, or (more likely) they decided that three Emails is the limit from a dude who is only shopping for one or two pair of lenses to see with, not an Essilor retailer or potential retailer. So that is why I decided to make this post - and I thought that it also be of some interest to the other OptiBoarders. THANKS if you can help. THE END!
    Last edited by rinselberg; 08-22-2004 at 03:21 PM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Pete,

What are the laser markings for the 1.50 ellipse?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Ellipse just launched, so we haven't had time yet to recreate the engraving for placement on ELART. Since you asked, however, I recreated the engraving from the IPS. Here is the identification engraving for Varilux Ellipse Orma (1.50)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ellipsengraving.gif  
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I would like to know more about some Essilor products that are not (or at least not currently) on ELART: DRx™. Physiotints™ and Ipseo™.

Hello rinselberg,

Actually, Joe and Melinda (the individuals who responded to your previous inquiries) probably didn't receive your most recent inquiry. There have been some issues with the servers lately, and sometimes emails don't come through. As you've observed, they're pretty diligent at fielding all the calls, emails, etc. that arrive in the Technical Services department each day.

On to your product questions... As the article describes, DRx is an in-lab casting system. Varilux Panamic is available from DRx. Depending upon your prescription, the 1.56 material used in the DRx process may or may not be ideal for your needs. Your eye care professional will be able to best advise you regarding material selection.

Physiotints (which are actually rather nifty) are not available in the US market at this time. The concept is as you describe- the colors of the filters are engineered to give better perception of color. I saw a demonstration of this during my last visit overseas, and it was interesting technology. However, if you are looking for sun protection, a grey or brown polarized tint will provide excellent performance and reduced glare. I have no information regarding when, and if, Physiotints will be available in the US.

Varilux Ipseo is available in Japan, Europe, and is being dispensed in the US in a few test markets. As you suspect, the cost of the lenses will be at a premium level- but the design will be customized to the individual wearer in a manner no prescription lens has ever been, so it is going to be a very interesting product. Varilux Panamic remains the premier general use PAL offered by Varilux and is readily available from most eye care practitioners across the country.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate your eyewear options. Considering that eyeglasses affect our perception of the world around us to such a great degree, I'm surprised more people don't do more research when purchasing eyewear. I hope some of this information has been helpful.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    Ellipse just launched, so we haven't had time yet to recreate the engraving for placement on ELART. Since you asked, however, I recreated the engraving from the IPS. Here is the identification engraving for Varilux Ellipse Orma (1.50)...
    Thanks, Pete!

-KB

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Pete I have a question. I noticed on the site that there is the Nikon Presio i; however, here in Canada Nikon and Essilor, though partners, are treated as competitors and Nikon has three progressives.

- Nikon Privledge (very nice lens at a lower price)
    - Nikon Presio (recently renamed the Nikon Go)
    - Nikon i (Nikon's premium lens)

So is the Nikon Presio i the Nikon Presio or the Nikon i?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I suppose the Nikon brands could be viewed as competition of sorts. In the US market, we have Nikon Presio i (13 and 15) and the Nikon OnLine. The Varilux Brand Consultants don't really detail the products on their visits, but the Essilor Lab Representatives do.

The Nikon designs are different, and they do seem to take a different approach to PAL design...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    Last week, I invited everyone to look at a reference tool we've placed on the soon-to-be-launched essilorlenses.com. Since many of you do not have immediate access to the site, I've arranged to have the pages with this document altered to allow direct access.

So, without further ado-
    One of the projects we've been working on here at Essilor's Laboratory Development & Technical Services department is a reference tool called ELART.

What is ELART? The "Essilor Lens Availability and Reference Table," contains product information on pretty much every Essilor product available.

Want to know if Varilux Comfort is available in 1.60 index? Just look in ELART. Once there, you'll confirm not only its availability, but also the product's:
    Product number
    Blank sizes
    PAL engraving
    Base Curve availability
    Index of refraction
    Rx Range (total and by BC)
    Scratch Coating type
    UVA and UVB % transmission block
    Minimum Center Thickness
    Abbe Value
    Specific Gravity
    ADD range

Also, each product has a link that takes you to the base curve selection charts.

Anyway, I personally think this will be a pretty useful resource for our customers, and I'm proud of the effort and dedication my team gives to keeping it accurate and available.

Enjoy!

ELART On-Line

Is there a new link available? Can't seem to find SFSV Asph 1.6 specs anywhere...

Thanks in advance!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Is there a new link available? Can't seem to find SFSV Asph 1.6 specs anywhere...

Thanks in advance!
    Seiko definitely makes these

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    They do- yet I'm facing the same hurdle. Can't seem to find lens specs for either.... Their 'Lens Specs' page gives me the finished range- even though it's listed under surfaced lenses. *facepalm

Time to put some calls in, I guess. Or I could use Signet. I just prefer an online portal so that I can look up other lenses as I need them. Younger, Signet, and Vision Ease have easy to use online resources. It would be nice if everyone did, but priorities, you know?
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Thread Information