• Flip a coin

0 0%
  • I have a better suggestion...

9 64.29%

Thread: Need framebuying advice...

Occupation
    Optometrist

Smilie Need framebuying advice...

For my "core" collections: I am trying to do about 20% of my optical in basic frames for the price-conscious market and the somewhat fashion-challenged "laggards". I would like to make this as simple as possible (easy company, few reps) so I can concentrate on the other 70% of good lines. (Kid's are 10%). All input is appreciated.
    Last edited by drk; 04-13-2004 at 01:02 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Our "core line" is Luxottica...good value, core Marchon has never sold in the shop, consider Elasta above "core" level. Carry Rodenstock, Tura, Silhouette. etc.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Looking for a good core product...

is like looking for the Holy Grail. I have both Marchon and Safilo core products as well as their designer frames. Safilo sells better than Marchon. The surprising line is the Pentax and Takumi magnetic clips. But then, our patients are mostly retired and they like the ease in which the clips are attached to the frame.

Bob V.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Core lines and the fashion-challenged, consider Morel Cottet or ClearVision. I've been successful with both.

Upscale, consider Tura, Cazal, Seiko, Silhouette(I don't carry them, but the rest of the world does), Neostyle.

Funky and trendy, consider Europtiks, Eye Think, Anglo-American, Ogi.

Sports, consider Rudy Project

Sun, Escada does very well for me and Seiko Celine is picking up speed. I just looked at the new Jones New York for a mid price line and I like it. Porsche does well for men.

Also, if you haven't purchased a lens center yet, I strongly recommend the one from OLA. It's not brand specific, leaving all your lens choice options open. It's user friendly and has a very small footprint to save counter space.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 04-13-2004 at 03:14 PM.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Re: Looking for a good core product...

BobV said:
    is like looking for the Holy Grail. I have both Marchon and Safilo core products as well as their designer frames. Safilo sells better than Marchon. The surprising line is the Pentax and Takumi magnetic clips. But then, our patients are mostly retired and they like the ease in which the clips are attached to the frame.

Bob V.
    Check out the new Magic Clip line from Viva, they are just coming out with new styles, but I find them to be much better quality than Easyclip with a better clip on technology (around the back) and they come with their brand name lines too (Guess, Candies, Gant, Ellen Tracy, Ecko, Magic Clip, and Tommy Hilfiger). Works great for a basic line with a clip.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do well with Safilo core, consider Team our core with Emozzioni slightly above, and have started doing very well with Cottet core.

We use Luxottica for Mens and Ladies core. We got rid of most core unisex. We still have some Safilo core but the price to getting too high for core customers.

I still don't get Marchon Core it is way over priced for the quality. Safilo is great product but price is becoming a factor.

I also put in some lower priced stuff. (Bostonian)

Name brands still sell the best and bring in more profit.

OptiBoard Professional Eddie G's's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rodenstock has replaced our Luxottica "bread and butter" line.

That Rodenstock NIGURA line is very inexpensive and it sells amazingly well!

:cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for the imput. I have seen some of the Cottet, and it looks good. Rodenstock is intriguing.

The appeal to go with Marchon is two-fold, and I'd like to share:
    They have this new made in China collection, which is pretty versatile, if you look at it in the catalogue. It would really fit for patients wanting somewhat trendier but inexpensive glasses.

Then, they have dumbed-down Flexon somewhat with the 600 series, again, made in China, but selling for less. As I see it, they are selling out the Flexon name by mixing lower quality with higher quality, so I don't feel I can any longer position Flexon as a premium frame that retails for $230, when it's available for about $169.

If I can mix in a little from their core, I think I can produce a collection of inexpensive but attractive frames for a broad market, with the retail price tag from about $119 to about $169 (for cheap Flexon) and maybe even make the Nike line the premium line from Marchon. And, although again from China, the kid's Flexon and re-worked X-games have good appeal.

As an aside, I wonder how long until Marchon is toast? It seems that they are scrambling. Calvin Decline, DKNY not renewing...If they wouldn't have ripped-off Silhouette they would be in worse shape. If Flexon goes south, what is left? The Coach line is just more mediocre Nine-West-like stuff.

Maybe the way I'm thinking about doing it is the way they WANT to go?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In regards to Flexon...

Turaflex is another choice. If you remember, Marchon put up quite a flap about Tura's use of the Flexon material to the point of suing Tura and having all Turaflex removed from the market. Tura counter sued a couple of years later and won the right to market their flex frames again.

A couple of complaints on Turaflex...short on styles and mostly mens. Their best bet is to expand the line.

Bob V.

Drk

I won't spend much on core made in China. We use Bostonian for unisex core and pay Half of what Marchon charges for the China core stuff. The product is good and the prices is right.

If I buy something made in China it must have a good name. If it has no name it better be top quality or a real good price.

As far a Flexon goes. I beliveve the patent is up so everyone will have Flexon soon. That is why you are seeing prices go down. I think Marchon has been overcharging for Flexon for years but it sold. So I wish they still had the patent. (Does that make Sense)

About Marchon, about a year ago, my rep left and went to work for Safilo; we were a pretty major Flexon user with freestanding 60 pc display, this last year, I haven't seen a Marchon rep, or a CK rep, etc. It's not like i'm out in the boonies; I guess they just don't care about my business anymore? Hmmm?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Texas Ranger...

It's not that they don't care about you. They know that you're reordering, so it's more like laziness on their part.

Make 'em work for you or ship their lazy *sses out.

Bob V.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DRK,

How many other opticals are in your 5 mile radius, or closest competitor? Go shopping! See what they are using and use something different. Otherwise, you get into to much price matching. There are several lines out there to use. One company that I have not seen posted is Charmant. they do have good mid and high lines. I use to use them, not now because of a dispute on a personal level, but they are still a good company to work with. I would take them over Marchon anyday.

I reiterate, check out the comp. first before you make a decision.

:cheers:

Cowboy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb lines

DRK, try finding a core line that no one else sells, and thats not hard to do, a visit to any one of the vision expos will produce that, When you are selling a core line that other people in the same area are selling it becomes more of a price issue, as a marchon frame is a marchon frame no matter who you buy it from. It also lets you convey to your patients, you wont see this on everyone in town, as were the only ones who sell it, and the old mine is better.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    drk, in addition to price-I would also consider what kind of service and representation you will get with who you pick. Unless you have time to monitor your boards for discontinued product and find out what is new yourself I think that should factor into the equation as well. I know that some frame reps move from place to place (which sometimes is an indication of what the company is really like) but there is something to be said for good service both in person and on the phone. I have a friend who just went to work for Signature and has good stuff to offer for all different prices. They had some money trouble a while back but seem to be coming around. He is a veteran of the frame industry and is very impressed with their business plan and the way he is treated. I think most companies core stuff looks similar and is competively priced so do your homework. I would definitely shop the competition and bring in some stuff they don't have. Find out what your optician will sell so stuff doesn't sit on the board forever because they don't like it, feel it is too expensive, etc.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

I'm with Cowboy about Charmant, which has excellant quality, including their Aristar and Elle lines, have some of the best titanium frames going. good mens styles and top mature ladies styles...

Thread Information