Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: glass lenses & rimless frames

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Ten to one that MJ makes that in polycarbonate only, and any reference to high index glass is a typo.
    Below is text directly from a newsletter from Maui Jim dated April 20th:

"...a few weeks away from releasing another set of drilled glass rimless styles - Ahi and Horizon."

Rising Star OptiBoard Bronze Supporter casey's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OK

That's insane. But I am glad I can't buy any Maui Jim, anymore. Great coatings but the price is too high and there is enough other product out there.
    I remember flaking. I hope they have great liability. Any spinning object...
    And they're going to sell this to cyclists?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I did get some info from Maui Jim. They said that instead of heat tempering the glass lenses they chemically temper them, (which apparently heightens the impact resistance...?) Also, they did say they pass the ANSI drop ball test for impact resistance...

It seems to me that they are really taking a chance with these lenses. If we sell them I would assume we, in some respects, would be liable if something were to happen to a customer...but in the end, wouldn't it mainly be Maui Jim?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I would imagine the polarizing filter keeps everything together to prevent shattering.

Does anyone have any hard data on instances of eye injurys from glasses or whether or not glass lenses were the culprit instead of plastic lenses.

Also no one has answered why they believe grooving glass is safer than drilling it.

I am more interested in the technical aspect than to debate personal opinions.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

casey said:
    California will only put CR-39 on kids. Should I order it 3.0?

I would order it 3.0 and document everything, because you know darn well California will try and stick you if they can.:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dear Jedi

The polarized 'wafer' does add integrity, however, I have seen over 5(but not more than a dozen)glass polarized lenses flake. When I saw these glasses, pieces of the glass were missing. It's glass.
    Sorry that my testimony is anecdotal rather than 'hard data'. My experience also runs over 35 years so I imagine we've all seen at least a small amount of this damage. The fact there aren't a lot of flags out there tells me there isn't a whole lot of negative experience. But why chance it?
    I love the optics of glass. I just can't sell it. I need to be as sure as I can that I will have an office to go to, tomorrow; and that I can eat every day.
    The only poly I sell is polarized. Injection molding solved a LOT of problems.
    REALLY tough to separate that stuff.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    They said that instead of heat tempering the glass lenses they chemically temper them, (which apparently heightens the impact resistance...?)
    From passed experience, "Sorry I put the polarized lenses in the chem unit"; the heat from chem temp will ruin the polarized filter.
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Chem harden first, then laminate???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

I have seen glass polar do that. But most of the time people will
    own up and say " Ya I dropped it on some concrete or what ever and it chipped". I have also seen it chip in plastic especially toward the temporal side, put too much pressure on adjustments and you can chip them. Most of the time the plastic or glass just separates from the polar. Just my two cents!:bbg: :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

NU?

So who out there intends to sell this stuff?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

PS

I just heard they(MJ) intends to 'temper' the glass PRIOR to lamination. Sounds feasible, but the stuff is still glass. They're nuts...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please remember that glass rimless was used for decades without incident, or very few. The propaganda you are sold in meetings is often paid for by them makers of compeditive products and not always to be trusted. Just because John X has found that he can subsidise his income on week-ends selling his ideas as the unvarnished truth, doesn't mean what you heard at the poly seminar came from God.

Glass is a great material, the only thing wrong with it is not so much safety of the wearer is legal (from lawyers and a government who would protect us all) protection for the optician.

In other parts of the world very thin glass is used a lot in rimless stuff and they do just fine.

I have been making aproximately 3 artificial eyes a week for 40+ years and have never made one that was a result of broken glasses made in any design of any material.

Chip

I will admit that I was once cutting a sink opening with a sabre saw and had an eye saved by my glasses made of what used to be called "dress hardened" glass.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :shiner: Chip you hit it right on. Glass was used for a long time until we got
    the Attorney's involved. :bbg:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I live in Canada where we do not have those restrictions, but I still, on average, only sell one pair a year. The fact is that glass is still very heavy, and I have seen customers come in with broken lenses. With the coatings out there today it is hard pressed for me to find a reason to use glass over plastic.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We would NEVER NEVER NEVER mount a glass lens in a rimless or a drill mount frame. It is a huge risk factor for the patient. And as far as the Maui Jim Sunglasses in the drill mount flexon is concerned, those are a polycarbonate lens. We carry these in our office and they are definately not glass.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Tjcjdc9462,

Maui Jim has glass lenses in all FLEXON frames including the drilled stuff, we have a set in stock. You might have the Beta Ti Sport or the stainless steel drills in stock, they are Poly.

Here's a link http://www.mauijim.com/mjweb/public/...=LFG311-02.jpg
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Thread Information