Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: leave no president behind

Re: Re: Dr D Dude!!!

Darris Chambless said:
    So if I were you I wouldn't use the Pulitzer as the Litmus test for anything since it doesn't take much to get one evidently.
    I thought the same thing when I read that. Pulitzer is right up there with Nobel...

Arafat- Inventor of plane hijaking/Nobel Laureate Peace

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile That's MR. Dr, D dude to you btw

chm,

When is the Blade going to do a series on and win a Pulitzer prize for atrocities commited by the Khmer Rogue I wonder? Some time in the near future maybe? A series on that? Not likely. A Pulitzer for doing that? Completely out of the question. If I'm not badly mistaken doing a story on the enemy could actually get them blackballed in journalism circles.

mrba,

"Arafat- Inventor of plane hijaking/Nobel Laureate Peace"

Now now. Don't you know that if you give him a Peace prize it helps his self esteem and he will be nice to people? Why just the jesture alone will make any blood thirsty, terrorist supporting, terrorist training, murderous scum into a loving pussycat that wouldn't hurt a fly. He will embrace the Isrealis and give them a big old bear hug and kiss on the lips I'd bet. :D

Take care folks,

Darris C.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Try to keep up

http://www.pulitzer.org/cyear/1976w.html

Now let's see what kind of guy you are Dr D, when you're wrong, do you fess up or.......

BTY, this series of articles was the basis of the movie "The Killing Fields."

I'm curious, what objection do you have to Lloyd Schwartz? You don't agree with his take on classical music?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I've seen the Pulitzer pages on several occasions...

...so I'm not sure what you are wanting me to "try to keep up" with. You would be the one behind the times.

I will say this much though. The link does show just how insignifacant the Pulitzer is. You can win one for anything and they have several every year. To the people winning them I'm sure it's a great honor, but that's just it, it doesn't amount to much elsewhere except in those circles. Like being the best ballerina in all of Galveston. Sounds good. Doesn't mean much. My daughter and niece won a medal at school last week for reading and while I'm very proud of both of them and think they are the greatest kids on the face of the planet ever, it really doesn't travel far outside of this immediate area does it?

Here's one for everyone: Who here keeps up with Pulitzer Prize winners? Anyone? Anyone at all? Didn't Kofi Annan win one or was it the Nobel? I know Jimmy did only because when I heard about it I had to rack my brain as to figure out a reason why and still never came up with anything so due to the silliness of it it sticks out for me.

"I'm curious, what objection do you have to Lloyd Schwartz? You don't agree with his take on classical music?"

Um, chm Lloyd won a Pulitzer for his critique and catagorization of classical music. In otherwords he won a Pulitzer for using his opinion in a manner conducive to winning him one. Does that not seem a bit obscure to you? It does to me and tells me the Pulitzer is more a conversation piece at parties than an actual merrit or accomplishment.

"Now let's see what kind of guy you are Dr D, when you're wrong, do you fess up or......."

If you are referring to Sydney H. Schanberg and his coverage of the Communist take over in Cambodia, I didn't realize he worked for The Toledo Blade? That said I will concede that Sydney did write about the Communist takeover of Cambodia but I've not read his stories so I can make no judgement on his depiction of the situation or whether he classified them as the enemy. BUT he was awarded a Pulitzer for writing about this subject and so until further review of his book I will openly and freely say that I am wrong on this point. I do stand by all my other statements especially the one about the Pulitzer being meaningless (in my opinion of course.) I don't lose sleep wondering who's going to win the next Pulitzer for Editorial Cartooning nor do I really care and unless I go look it up will never know who it was.

"BTY, this series of articles was the basis of the movie "The Killing Fields."

YIPPY! I guess? It was a good movie. I haven't read the book or articles so as to what light Cambodia and it's take over were painted in I do not know. In the movie, although gruesome (and it has been a while since I've seen it so going on memory here) it was portrayed more as the story of what happened to Pran when they couldn't get him out of Cambodia and he was sent to the "Re-education camps." I don't remember getting the feeling that they were the enemy to the US as much as a really screwed up experiment gone right.

So yes, Sidney wrote about the Communist takeover of Cambodia and won a Pulitzer. I am wrong about that. I apologize for being incorrect and am happy to say so.

So there you go chm. That is called "character" and shows "integrity." You should try it some time and would probably get the same liberating feeling that I get by doing it and you would be able to get that feeling almost every time you made a post so you'd have that going for you :D

Take care and I was wrong. I really enjoy saying that since it's such a change. I rarely have to do it and it does give me a sense of superiority because I'm willing to admit it when so few others are. AHHHHHH! I feel better now.

Darris C.

Darris,
    you are forgetting the million dollars...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The million dollars...

I'm on the page as we speak filling out an entry form :D Not sure what catagory I want to enter though, but for a million bucks I'll write whatever they want to hear.

I was not aware that there was a monetary value attached (that just shows you how much I pay attention to the Pulitzer ;). That much money would throw one heck of a party and I'd be willing to bet that if I won I'd have friends I didn't even know I had.

Anyhoo, thanks for the info. Now to decide what I want to win it for?

Darris C.
    Last edited by Darris Chambless; 04-22-2004 at 10:45 AM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Re: I've seen the Pulitzer pages on several occasions...

Darris Chambless said:

That is called "character" and shows "integrity." Darris C.

And this would be called patting yourself on the back. I will write the Pulitzer committee and advise them you will not accept one under any circumstances. Glad we got that cleared up.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I have a double jointed elbow...

so it's really no problem for me to pat myself on the back and sometimes it's necessary because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and doggoneit people like me. :D

"I will write the Pulitzer committee and advise them you will not accept one under any circumstances."

Why chm are you of the impression that I might actually win one? I'm flattered beyond belief. When I win I might just have to send you some flowers :)

But for now this will have to suffice:

Flowers Flowers Flowers Flowers Flowers Flowers Flowers Flowers Flowers Flowers Flowers Flowers.

There's a dozen.

Take care,

Darris C.

Thread Information