Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progressive measurements

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Progressive measurements

Does anybody else dislike orders where the dummy lenses are dotted to indicate pupil position?
    I prefer (and so does the edging machine) to work with numbers, its no biggy but it does involve a mall amount of extra effort.
    Which way do you guys do it?

Rick

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been dotting lenses since I began fitting AO's Ultravue in the mid-70's. You still need to measure for seg placement, don't you. Well, at least I do...am I missing something?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think he means that in his lab, he gets orders with no seg ht/fitting height, just dots on demo lenses, putting the burden of measurement on him. That's wimpy of the fitter, in my opinion.

BTW, Judy, thanks for your imput on frame inventory. I've been furiously cooking up a new inventory plan for a few days.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    RSANDR
    I know what you mean. They say seg is at the mark and it's about 3 millimeters in diameter. I'd insist on a number.

JUDY
    Weren't those little yellow vinyl strips, used for laying out an Ultravue a pain!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry, it may be unclear, i was ranting:o

On the lens order the OC and HT boxes specify 'as marked', or worse 'as now' then we have to mark the old ones up, it really grates on our nerves when we get these in to glaze.

Especially when they have been dotted with an extra wide chisel point non permanent pen. Black thumbs, vague idea of where to place place the fitting cross.

Rick

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that Rick is saying that to process the order, at the lab end, he is only getting the dot on the lens, without a mono pd or height.

And that he is mad as hell, and is not going to take it any more.

Robert

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    People really do that? Send in a frame with marked dummy lenses instead of taking 30 seconds to write down a number? I wonder how they re-order lenses if the dummys are gone. I'd sure hate to have to decipher those records. I must be getting old and cranky...

drk,
    No, I think that the biggest pain about Ultravue's was the Grolman device!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    People really do that? Send in a frame with marked dummy lenses instead of taking 30 seconds to write down a number?
    Do they! Oh yes they do. Matters came to a head today with a rimless order, it had phillips head screws and tight washers front and back, it was a struggle to get apart to scan the shape.
    Then i see 'as now' and realise that i have rubbed the marks off because they havent even had the wit to use a permanent pen.
    The job was marked urgent and had been chased. Aaaargh.

I have been asking my customers to supply numerical ht's and oc's for years but it falls on deaf ears, they are all too keen to tell me how much more i should be doing for them though.

Its like when they order a frame, eg. style 100 colour 4. For goodness sake if they could just write 'gold', 'gun' or whatever instead of just copying what they see on the arm.

How do you get them to behave without offending them? Do you just carry on regardless?

Rick

OptiBoard Professional Eddie G's's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's BRUTAL!!!

Here's one for ya LOL...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails seg height.jpg  

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eddie G's said:
    That's BRUTAL!!!

Here's one for ya LOL...
    Eddie G...

What part of the dot do you measure????

Puuulllleeeezzzze..

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well at least they gave you some room for error!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eddie:

Stop it, i shouldnt have to see that from the comfort of my own home!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can help but Laugh on that picture. I could quess the patient has blue eyes like the dot and pupil is size is the size of the dot. So place it OC. LOL. GOOD LUCK!!!!:hammer:
    rey

Maybe the patient was high on something as was her pupils!!!:D

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We have accounts ask us to match the dots,
    make 2mm below dots,
    remove sample lenses and put tape around frame and put dots on to match,
    match old lenses,
    make new lenses but adjust PD because patient needs to turn head to left to see, patient needs to hold chin up to see,
    add 2mm to bottom of frame and adjust height to accommodate progressive,

I can go on. We grudgingly do a service for those unwilling or unsure.
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is clear there are some very incompetent people out there. The same ones sending you the dots probably have never seen a pd stick.

UFRICH:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry

I agree with Judy. You really have people who send in orders with
    dots, no PD's, what is this Kindergarden for Opticians? (and I use that word loosely in these cases). This is just another example why Opticians as a whole don't get an RESPECT. Come on even in my first year of college I knew how to take a PD and measure for bifocal heights.

Jofelk said:
    make new lenses but adjust PD because patient needs to turn head to left to see, patient needs to hold chin up to see,
    add 2mm to bottom of frame and adjust height to accommodate progressive,

You must be kidding! Come on this is not true, Right? Again that is why Opticians who are TRULY OPTICIANS don't get any RESPECT. You got clowns running around calling themselves OPTICIANS because they think it gives them an air of repectabilty.
    Come on get these clowns out of here and lets get on with the business of real OPTICIANS. I m sorry for blowing off like this but this burns my butt to see self righteous BOZO's calling themselves OPTICIANS, when in reality they are only pencil pushers, an nothing against pencil pushers except in this case.
    Because of clowns like this the profession of OPTICIANARY is degraded to a self abasing form of selfism. Anotherwords these people don't give a dam about the profession as long as they get paid and can push that pencil a little further. This just burns my butt!:angry:

Bad address email on file
    Just as dispensers have to educate the public, apparently labs have to educate some dispensers.

Do you have a "training class" for beginning dispensers that would also serve as a refresher course for so-called experienced dispensers? If you don't have a training class, maybe lab rep could hold an inservice at the dispenser's office. Or the lab could send them written how-to materials.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That picture had better be someone's idea of a funny joke!:drop:

I agree with Jediron. The profession of Opticianry is ill-served by states that do not strictly regulate, licence, and require the professional to submit to continuing education. In Ohio, it's pretty strict, and that's for everyone's benefit. I understand some states are lax, lax, lax.

OptiBoard Professional Eddie G's's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, that was meant to be a joke!

Our LABS would NEVER use the markings off a demo lens.
    Here in the Province of Ontario the Laws are very strict.

Here's a shaky hand example for ya rsandr ...

:D

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails seght disaster.jpg  

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Im glad its not just me....

Im going to have a better weekend knowing its not just me that gets fudged off by this.

In the UK now since deregulation anybody can sell specs, except to children.
    You can open an 'optical' here as easily as a corner shop. We have on a couple of occasions made calls with regard to missing details only to find the person on the other end unfamiliar with the term PD or OC.
    We are frequently asked to knife edge minus powered lenses.

We even received a job, an off the shelf sunglass, the order specified we were to 'change the enclosed lenses to the patients prescription'. The wording was such that we called to confirm we were to replace the lenses and match the tint. NO! They wanted us to 'adjust'? the enclosed lenses into the new Rx, the Px was not willing to pay for new lenses, so we returned the job. Staggering.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    rsandr, I know how tough it would be to turn down business, but the lab is the problem; by enabling the "optical shops" to have a source for goods that they have no business selling. If you would refuse to fabricate the orders, they wouldn't be able to be in business, so YOU are setting the standard by allowing their orders to be made at all; and you lab guys need to ban together to ALL have basic competency standards in order to process an order. they need to be offended, they are leaches on the profession, and taking business from reputable, competent people, who are also your clients. So wrap up the orders and "jsut say NO!"...

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Texas,
    I wish i thought that banding together would work, the problem there is that many of the labs are just are as bad, and would jump on any work i turned down, im sure i dont need to tell you what a 'dog eat dog' world it is.
    This is the way the industry is going, i think not moving with it while more moral, would be dangerous.
    I just hope that one day i have the resources to help them, maybe that should be my task for this weekend, a dispensing guide.

Rick

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Rick, You might communicate to these folks that their lack of skills seriously delays the fabrication of their order, but it also puts you and your lab at some liability for the accuracy of the orders? if perhaps they understood that properly ordered work, that simplifies your processes, goes ahead of orders that you are clueless what they want done...another thing you might do is call them up about every job or some aspect of it that is not standard and be sure they know that the job isn't being processed without the proper information; you might also advise them that there are specialized instrumentation available to secure the measurements, like a CRP? or you might set up a "basics" seminar, for a few pounds, of course, to enlighten their staff...didn't mean to sound so harsh in my earlier post, but it is a bad situation when the tail is waggin' the dog?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To simplify things, why not use the proven method of the Grollman Fitting Device......LOL....Do any of you oldtimers remember using those???

Thread Information