Thread: ...THEFT...

I run a relatively high volume vision center, dealing mainly with "cash customers".
    Do any of you optiboarders have any comments, or web sites of the latest technoligies available to help protect our business?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pick a category to respond to:
    1, Shrink
    2, Competition
    3, Loss Prevention Internal
    4, Customer Service
    5, Marketing
    6, Other and what other

No intent to be pompous or facitious, but, "the ancient ones" could share lot.
    If you say "all of the above" your email box will pop wide opened!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I just reread the title of your posting. So, I'm a dummy. Sue me!
    I am seeing a tremendous amount of retailers using computer software that allows a camera to monitor the movement in their store after hours. It works . .. records the intruder, calls you, calls the cops, and keeps a record for future ID and insurance purposes.

Tag all frames with a security tag that is a pain in the butt to remove. If phony, it deters. If real, it kicks off the alarm you need to spend about a grand for.

Train all associates to stand parallel to the lease line so they can look from left to right (front to back) and watch customers. Teach them never to stand with their back to the door or center of the store.

Greet all customers within 10 seconds, make mutual eye contact (If not mutual watch them), always "touch base" with "I'm just looking" people frequently.

Have an engagement tool (4.25 X 5.5 in. 2 sided hand out) made up that lists your services, warrantys, specials, etc. and have every person hand one to a customer with a short welcome in the first 10 seconds of their visit. Shoplifters hate being taken care of constantly.

Keep all "holes" filled constantly. Never let a shoplifter think you'll never miss the frame with all those holes unfilled.

Keep customers cash payment visible at all times until you have finished making change. Then take THEIR money and put it away. Scammers love to insist they gave you a bill they never did.

A person serving a customer is soverign territory and should not be taken away from them to answer the phone etc. Lots of reasons for this besides sales. People not taking care of the customer do the back ground work and watch store security. "If you are not taking care of the customer you should be taking care of the person who is!"

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The best $300.00 dollars I have spent in my office is a set of cameras that show the customers on an monitor (in thier full view) that they and all our frames are on camera.
    Doesn't matter whether you tape it or not, just makes would be thieves leave without taking anything. You don't really want to fool with prosecution when you can eliminate theft before the fact.

Go to Sam's you can buy and install the camera/monitor yourself.
    Chip

Bad address email on file Rick-Strong's Avatar

Buy a couple of walk-way posts. Customers will have to go thru them to come and then to leave. Thieves will figure they are security posts.

Thread Information