View Poll Results: Maple Syrup - Where do you keep it?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • The fridge- of course!

9 32.14%
  • On a shelf next to the Peanut Butter...

17 60.71%
  • Children are starving in Ethiopia, and you're worried about the temperature of your syrup???

2 7.14%

Thread: Syrup Poll

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Syrup Poll

Okay, this is easily more important than the elections- and its a question that has caused "discussion" between my wife and I for the 16+ years we've been married.

Simply put- does syrup belong in the refrigerator or the pantry shelf? I won't bias you with my (obviously correct) opinion yet, but suffice it to say only the PANCAKE is supposed to be warm!!!

:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PETE
    I bet your wife makes mashed potatoes with cold milk too! Doesn't she? My wife and I go rounds over that one. It's become quite a joke between us, as I had an aunt that was appalled at the fact that someone would dare add cold milk to hot potatoes. I just let her make them however she likes, as long as they don't come from a box.
    Now if she ever puts that toilet paper roll on so that it starts from the bottom causing the paper to come of the roll counterclockwise, we are going to have a problem!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CME4SPECS said:
    PETE

Now if she ever puts that toilet paper roll on so that it starts from the bottom causing the paper to come of the roll counterclockwise, we are going to have a problem!

YEA..... and if she ever leaves the toilet seat down when she's finished, she's gonna get it good!!!

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I grew up in Vermont!

The real stuff goes in the fridge! The fake stuff stays on the shelf, (in the market)

Occupation
    Next ? Real or Fake?

I'm still taking about the syrup!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Why the fridge? Does syrup spoil?

I like blueberry syrup, jelly or preserves on my pancakes.
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mikef said:
    I grew up in Vermont!

The real stuff goes in the fridge! The fake stuff stays on the shelf, (in the market)
    I agree with Mikef that the real stuff HAS to go in the fridge or you risk bacteria. Just remember that if you buy syrup in the can to put it in another container after it's been opened. DON"T put the can in the fridge. There's no preservatives in it and it WILL go bad. The other stuff, however, will last longer than we will, maybe just crystalize a bit.

And jofelk, Don't you put blueberry syrup, jelly or preserves in the fridge???

If any of these are homemade, there are no preservatives, except for the amount of sugar which has a bit of preservative effect, but can go bad none-the-less. A lot of the store-bought stuff still is preservative free, but I still feel that they go in the fridge.

CME4SPECS, now there's someone after my heart... properly made mashed potatoes and the toilet paper properly installed.

Just my humble opinions..

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Fridge, of course...

Maple syrup, unlike the branded syrups in the grocery, are preservative free and all natural. So when you open the can or jug, you pop it in the fridge.

When you read the directions for use, (yes, directions do come with maple syrup), it will tell you if mold develops, simply skim the mold off.

Bob V.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hmmm, all this causes me to wonder... Perhaps when I was a kid we used natural syrup and when she was a kid her family used storebought syrup with preservatives. Each of us became used to cold or warm syrup accordingly.

Personally, I think warm syrup on the pancakes just feels, I dunno- odd! I mean, there is a science to the thing... first, you put on the butter- which melts because the pancakes (er, flapjacks) are steaming hot. In fact, proper pancakes should burn your fingers when you lift the edge to put the butter within the stack. Then you lift each pancake (careful, don't want all that liquid butter to run off) and pour a little syrup in the layers (and a little more on the top of the stack where the little pad of butter is still melting). Careful- you don't want the syrup run-off to get into your over-easy eggs (that would be gross).

You know, I don't know why- but I'm getting really REALLY hungry!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You forgot to tell us.......

if the container was open or not. Unopened Vermont Maple syrup (the only REAL Maple syrup!) can be kept on the shelf indefinitely. It will not spoil. Once opened it should be refrigerated. I quote from the Maple Grove website faq's

How long can maple syrup be stored and used?
    Maple Syrup is an all natural product with no preservatives. Unopened containers of pure maple syrup may be left in a cool, dark place for about one year without refrigeration. After opening, the syrup should be refrigerated. Freezing keeps open or unopened containers indefinitely, and the liquid will not solidify. Any harmless mold that forms on the surface of opened syrup may be skimmed off, and the product may be used after reheating on the stove or in the microwave. Place reheated syrup in a fresh, clean container and refrigerate. Glass is recommended as it preserves the color and flavor longer than other containers.

Pete, I sure hope you were on the side of refrigeration........if not, you lost another one! They always win in the end anyway, might as well give up now!

"Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought all you hearty New Englanders just went and got it straight from the tree??????
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Must be the California-girl buy syrup at the grocery store thing but I have never had cold syrup. Doesn't that make it harder to pour???
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    My wife and I went back and forth on this at one time. I would use the syrup and put it in the cabinet, because I can't stand cold syrup. She would find it and put it back in the refrigerator. This went on for a little while. Of course, now I eat cold syrup.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Same argument, reverse sides- Keith! Now we have a half bottle of syrup in the fridge and a half bottle of disgusting warm syrup on the shelf...

Ah, compromise- the ability for both parties to say "I'm right!"

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Unfortunately my wife's issue was ants (eventhough I can't recall ever seeing one in the house... her answer to that would probably be becuase we have no syrup in the cabinet ;) ), so no chance of the half-bottle solution.

Occupation

Big Smile Cold Syrup?

I can't say that I have ever had cold syrup. Being from Oklahoma I was raised on Griffins and it comes in a glass bottle (i think they have a squize bottle now). But if it was cold the lid would be a ****** to twist off, even at room temp I would have to run it under hot water.

I actually had to have my family send me some since I can't find a syrup in Washington that has the thickness or taste of good old Griffins.

(maybe someone from Griffins reads this and they send me some free syrup)

Anyway I voted for room temp..........
    Todd Stickler, ABOC

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Real Maple Syrup (Geauga County, Ohio) was stored on the shelf until opened, but then stored in the fridge. ..however we always warmed it up before using it on buttered up pancakes and waffles. Store bought was kept in the pantry.
    Now that we live in FL (for the past 13 years)....I do not remember the last time I had pancakes or waffles at home.....hrmmph. It is always on the road when I treated myself to pancakes.
    Has to be the living a mile from the beach with a bathing suit concscience wife and daughter affecting the the buying habit at the grocery store. Blame it on Atkins.
    Things will change this weekend.
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Jim,

You need to march on home, throw open the door and with an authoritative voice say...

"Woman, get into that kitchen and flip me up some flapjacks- I ain't worked all day to eat none of that boxed powder stuff, either- I want a man's dinner!"

Women just love when we take charge like that!

Now, after you've tried this, you can begin making yourself dinner by defrosting a steak over the shiner she gave you!

Actually, in my house I enjoy cooking more than anyone... Being from Alabama and all, though, my wife can make pretty good biscuits, pancakes, and corn bread! Maybe if I ask real nice and all, she'll cook me up some...

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

With all due respect to my friend.....

They were making "Real" Maple Syrup in Vermont when quote: "Geauga County, Ohio" was still Indian territory. Today,however, the Amish make lovely bread there !
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a cabinet girl. Pete, why put cold syrup on hot pancakes? Then again we put hot fudge on cold ice cream. Anybody for some hot fudge pancakes??:idea:
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This has been very interesting, fridge or shelf, warm or cold syrup.....

In nearly 29 years of marriage, I still can't figure why my husband puts the jar of peanut butter (I'm sure it's loaded with all kinds of wonderful preservatives!) in the refrigerator.

When I mention it, he just says, "Oh, did I do that?"
    "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

Bad address email on file Mikol's Avatar
    Pete,

When was the last time a resturant served you cold syrup? It is usually right there on the table when we are seated:p

Mikol
    :cheers:

Occupation
    This should answer all your Question.

www.maplegrove.com/faq.asp#general

The Maple Gorve is in St. Johnsbury VT . That is Where I grew up! I have had my share of the stuff. Keep it in the fridge after you open it and it will taste better longer. Just heat it up when you use it. Even cold it comes out fast "if its the good stuff".

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Well, my Frau went for it and I had my Saturday morning pancakes with commercial pancake syrup...heated up on stove...with a pad of butter added to it. This morning, the Mrs. Buttersworth bottle can be found in the pantry....

And Harry is correct...Geauga County and all North East Ohio was known as the Western Reserve....as in Western Reserve of Connecticut. GC could have been part of the area called Firelands but I think that portion of the territory may have been closer to the lake.
    Although the practice of tapping Maple trees and making syrup may have origens in New England...it was in Geauga County that the loving art of making Maple syrup was perfected.:-)
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Thread Information