Thread: Glass Lenses

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Confused Glass Lenses

Does anyone know of a good source for finished SV glass lenses?? I have a large number of Amish, Mennonites and Hutterites in this area that demand glass and it seems to be getting harder to find all the time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    EBAY

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Ugh, sorry that I cannot help you. I try to do no glass. I do on average one a year. Funny story, I had a eletrician in the store the other day and he saw me edging on my Essilor Delta. He asked for some new nose pads. Upon replacement I found that he had glass lenses and I told him he should go plastic. He said that he thought I was cutting glass in my edger. I told him that the edger is $50,000 and I am not going to junk it up by cutting glass lenses.

Bad address email on file
    We have Old Order Amish in our area and they do like their glass lenses! But we found that they are allowed to have plastic lenses if necessary. For example, the doctor flat out refuses to put children in glass, so all Amish children go in poly.

I really think they prefer glass because they hold up better in terms of not scratching so easily, and between the dusty environment of farming, horse & open buggy, and livestock (and no running water?), I understand that preference.

Anyway, we don't have an in-house lab, so I can't help you there, but the lab who does our jobs has no problems filling our glass orders.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs up glass lenses

jacqui,

I have a large supply of fin sv glass clr and pgx, and some semi-fin clr and pgx glass.

I will make you a heck of a deal on the lot.

Probably about 300+pr

$300.00 takes all

Regards,

Mr. Fox

317-513-5615

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a meeting with 13 of the Amish bishops in my area and explained why polycarbonate is the safest lens to use. Given that they pay for their hospitalization out of a communal fund, and most of them are in construction, it was a no-brainer.

We still do about 5% glass, but it seems to be the elderly amish, and the ultra cheapo babyboomers that don't want to buy new lenses except once every 20 years. Oh yeah, and the other baby boomers that know everything about optics, and therefore insist on photgray extra because of the "superior" glare reduction they offer!

Thread Information