Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If ya can't please 'em,...Beat 'em!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If ya can't please 'em,...Beat 'em!!

Ok, try this one one for size...

I had a client come in about 2 mos. ago and ordered a pair of Polo 688b drill mount, which uses nylon busings. The lens was an Essilor Airwear 1.0 with Crizal Stock (-1.00 -.50 x 83, -1.50 -.75 x 120). Everrything was to specification down to pd being exact. Patient could see perfectly, glasses felt great, no problems until......... He came back in about 3 wks later and asked me why one bushing was a different color than the rest. After explaining that we have no control over the production of the bushing material and that variations can occur, I would be happy to replace the bushing. I even went as far as to replace them all. I located four that were clear and had virtually no differentiation in color (his complaint was that some were clear and the other one was slightly cloudy). I handed them back to him and he thoroughly inspected them and said they looked good. He left happy, until.........He came back 2 days later, same complaint. The same side (left temporal bushing) was cloudy again. He wanted to know why this is happening. After I inspected them, I noticed that the AR coat was beginning to wear off. I asked what he uses to clean his glasses, "Bleach mixed with water!" I did tell him that I and the manufactur do not recommend that method and also pointed out the cloth and cleaning solution that I dispensed to him. He told me that it did not clean to his satisfaction and he liked his method better. I replaced the lenses and found 4 new clear bushings. He left happy, until.......I received a letter from the Better Business Bureau about his complaint and my unwillingness to give him a full refund - a refund was never discussed in the first place. I called the BBB and told them our version - the truth - and said they would contact him and try to get it resolved. I got a call back not to long ago, he still wants a full refund and to keep the glasses because they are the best fitting and most light pair he has ever had.

Should I comply with his request? At what point do we get to stand ground and say no? You know this guy only wanted to get a free - expensive pair- of glasses, and he is using the channels to do it. If i comply, he might end up at your door step doing the same thing!

Your thoughts

:cheers: to all

Cowboy

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Get up stand up, Get up for your rights. Don't give up the fight.

/Marley

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree! I'd be tempted to call the Opticians in my area that I like and respect and tell them to be on the lookout for this jerk.

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow!

He sounds pretty unstable. I absolutely would not comply.

Did I read correctly that he wants his money back and keep the glasses???? I think if they are the most comfortable and lightest glasses he ever had then you did your job and he got what he paid for. Maybe he's just a tightwad.

Good luck and keep trudging forward.

-Brendan

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most definately stand up and say "NO". You did what every good optician would do and I say HOORAY for that and tell him "NO"!!!:finger: .

UFRICH:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No....you've done a good job. He contributed to the condition, and in any other business would probably have to compensate you for repairing/replacing components that were damaged by his incorrect treatment. Since you had instructed him on the proper care and cleaning the damage was his fault.

You may want to find out the "REAL" reason for his complaint. Any history of previous eyeglasses and where they were purchased?

Another thought. The Better Business Bureau isn't a law enforcement agency.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree that Better Business is not a law enforcement angency, however, its a black mark on ones' reputation.

Glad to see that I am not the only one who wants to put a foot up this guy's a**! Thanks for your support and insight. You guys rock!!

Cowboy

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The BBB is BS. You pay your membership fee to display their logo and every other Tom, Dick and Harry can do the same regardless of their service or performance. I used their website to look for a garage in the city, they all had spotless records. I doubt that. My 2 cents.

This guy sounds like a cheapskate, you should tell him to beat it, or refund the $ less a restocking fee and take the glasses back as per your "policy"
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This brings up another topic, owner's manuals for eyeglasses and contact lenses. For some time now I've been toying with an "owners manual" for my customers when I dispense their glasses. It should list what they purchased and when along with care instructions and a date for a return visit for an adjustment. Does anyone provide any thing like that out there in Opti-land? From many years of practical experience, verbal instructions are largely ignored as is the office definition of "normal wear and tear" where it involves a warranty of some sort.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Irving,

Back in the day, when I first got into this business, I was a lab rat at Lenscrafters. I do recall a brochure type hand out that we used to place with every order that came through. It did specify warranty info as well as care and cleaning instructions. It also provided the sales persons' name, date of purchase and the like. It probably circulated for about a year then just sorta faded away. A few months later, another version popped up and that too lasted for a short while. It is all well and good, but I feel the cost factor out weighs the total benefit. People will remember more of what you said and how you said it rather handing them something that is going to be placed in the circular file or stuffed in a drawer somewhere.

Thats my 1cent worth (I'm short a penny):D

Cowboy

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Cowboy, keep your well-earned money; send him a short note expressing your regret that you cannot comply with his request for a refund. Ask him to please not return to your establishment for any type of service in the future. you'll thank yourself...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you subscribe to the on-line "Management Tip of the Week" from Optometric Management and Neil Gailmard, check this weeks tip #110. It contains a sample letter designed to "fire a patient". A few simple modifications would make it just what you need.

BTW, I quoted Irving Kristol in my tag line. I'm Judy.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Give him a refund only if he gives you back the glasses. Get rid of him and put in your records not to help him again. If he wants a refund and does not want to give you the glasses back, then he has no case, he is a satisfied client. If he persists, tell him that you are going to contact your lawyer about harrasment or something. He cannot touch you. If he wants to take you to small claims court, counter sue, you will win. A person who is satisfied does not get a refund.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cowboy,

Send him a bill for being a pain!!

As for the BBB, it's nothing more than a profit driven company .
    They call themselve a "bureau" to sound more govermental, but they are nothing more than a referal company. They called me and wanted me to pay a fee to be listed on their service. I told them to take a hike. I've survived fine w/out them so far.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't know if New Hampshire is the same but:
    If a store does not post a sign stating its no refund policy, then, by law, a customer who asks for a refund and provides a receipt, is entitled to a refund within 7 days of the date of purchase as long as the merchandise is unused and in the original packaging.

The refund law does not apply to the sale of:

Food;
    Perishable goods;
    Custom made goods;
    Goods which were specifically altered at the customer’s request; or
    Goods that cannot be resold by the merchant by law.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh man, this is a new one!
    I'll tell you, theres an a** for every seat. At this point I would probably give the guy his money back, take the glasses away from him, and tell him to please do business somewhere else. Look at it this way. For the price of the glasses you got rid of a typical chiseling idiot who will be nothing but a headache for years to come.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    When I was managing a Sunglass Hut location back before the LUX days a guy came into our store with a pair of glasses and wanted his money back. He said that he had purchased them at a different location in the city but he didn't have a reciept. There was no record of the transaction on the other stores computer. Bottom line, this guy did not buy the glasses from us. We didn't even carry the style. He made a huge stink and called our corporate offices and was such an a$$ on the phone that eventually I was told to just give him the money. Not a cheque, he wanted cash.
    Someone released a book a few years back about how you, as a customer can get the system to work for you. If you're a big enough jerk then big companies will give you anything you want. That's all well and good but when an idiot like this walks into a small retailers store and expects the same then his photo should be passed along to all the local businesses and posted on the wall as a "do not serve".
    We all remember the few and far between "bad" customers that we have to deal with because they stick out like a sore thumb. There's that golden rule rule that says that if you tick off one customer with bad service they will tell atleast 10 friends. I would be pretty sure that this guy has no friends to tell.
    I've only been played by a guy like this once and it's stuck in my head, just like the one guy who scammed me with a stolen credit card. I will never forget it and I have learned. All this is just leading up to see if I can sneak a word in passed the filter.

Douchebags!

Occupation
    True story.

I do not know if you are familar with Walmart's (the store, not the optical) return policy. It basically is, if you return it at any time, we will give you a full refund, with or without a proof of purchase. Anyways, someone walked into Walmart with a snow blower (I do not even know if Walmart sells snow blowers). He argued that he bought it from Walmart even though the label on the side of the snow blower clearly said Craftsman (a produc exclusively sold by Canadian Tire). They asked him how much he paid, gave him that amount, and now use it as their personal snow blower.

I reitterate, it is a true story.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some lessons I have learned:

1) People that pay the bill in full up front or at time of delivery.
    2) People that give you a sob story, arrange for exteended credit over a long period of time. Will complain, some even think that as long as they are complaining they don't have to make payments.
    3) Make sure you record who pays the bill. Many will try for re-funds when some third party actually paid the bill. If this is the case, give refund to third party, not customer.
    4) Always get the product back when you give a refund. This does several things, one of which is release you from liability. You are still liable for the effects of a product if the patient keeps it.
    5) When it comes time to give a refund or part compnay, be as nice as possible, burnt bridges cut off your retreat. Strange as it may seem you and the customer may cross paths again or need each other for something. I have had patients whom I thought hated me and only saw me because the doctor highly recommended me come in long after the doctor was out of the picture and appearently express love and apppreication (of course I have had things happen the other way arround.
    6) Don't get a reputation for being a soft touch (turn down all charities that solicit you and pick your own), do what you need to keep up good relations with customers, but charge when needed.
    7) Be careful what you say in anger, or jest it can come back to haunt you. Some people hang on to every word an look for an excuse for controversy (usually those who pay no attention to actual intructions they are given).
    If you ever do find yourself dealing with someone with whom you have had controversy, get cash up front.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Your story brings to mind a story I heard from a Sears employee.
    They would have a gentleman come in and purchase there most
    expensive riding lawn tractor in early may. In early Sept. of every year he would return the lawn tractor and wanted a full refund. Sears would give him a full refund every time and as far as I know
    this man is still doing this. The sears employees after a while were
    unwilling to take of him because one month they would have a nice commission and with in four months have the commission taken back. Sears corporate just said it's the price of doing buisness in today's economy. Some people are out there just to screw you over. I wonder as John Lennon said once:" How Do You Sleep At Night"
    :hammer:
    Last edited by jediron; 02-27-2004 at 08:11 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Add to the above post. I once had a gentleman that I undercharged him for his glasses. I at once realized my mistake an called him to le him know there would be an additional charge,
    I explained to him that I mis-added and needed to charge him the
    extra to be the correct price, He said:" you all ready gave me the price, I don't care if you added wrong or not I paid the price and I will pay no more" I then asked him how do you sleep at night? His reply just fine. Some people are out there just trying to find ways to screw you over and they don't care how they do it. It 's not like it was thirty years ago when you could call some one and explain you made a mistake in your summary of the bill and it would be x amount more. Almost all said they would pay it when they paick up the glasses. Boy has time hardened people!:o

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For-Life said:
    If he wants to take you to small claims court, counter sue, you will win. A person who is satisfied does not get a refund.
    Don't count on it coming out in your favor at small claims court. I was forced to give a refund (and the Pt's court costs) for a replacement frame I sold, because the lenses someone else made fell out & broke. The lenses were clearly undercut to fit, & the pt was informed of this in writing by me. The pt also didn't have to return the frame to me. Sometimes the judges are just as ignorant as the customers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Boy has time hardened people!

Ain't that the truth!!

Your stories are humorous, and make me feel that I am just another sucker caught in the mix of consumer a$$hole-ism!!!

Keep 'em comin'

Cowboy

Occupation
    varmint said:
    Don't count on it coming out in your favor at small claims court. I was forced to give a refund (and the Pt's court costs) for a replacement frame I sold, because the lenses someone else made fell out & broke. The lenses were clearly undercut to fit, & the pt was informed of this in writing by me. The pt also didn't have to return the frame to me. Sometimes the judges are just as ignorant as the customers.
    Give me that judges address. I will give him a swift kick in the face.

I had a guy come in who worked for the Iron Workers. His plan covered like $400 or $500. So he got the works. He was the one who would have to submit for his plan, and said he checked into it. So anyways, he found out a month later that will will only cover $200 because he got a new pair last year. He wanted me to give the $200 or $300 as a discount now, saying that it was not his fault. I respectifully refused.

OptiBoard Professional Eddie G's's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my opinion, don't give in to this A$$hole!!!

Refund and take back the eyewear.

Who looks at the BBB anyways?

Oh I almost forgot... take a picture of him and post it so we can all blacklist him
    :D

Thread Information