Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrong lenses - Comfort not Panamic

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have found that progressive adaptation on non-adaptation boils down to these
    steps;
    1. Correct measurements-you have to take monocular measurements and correct seg height
    2. frame selection- if you try and use a frame with a small 'b' measurement you are going to have to make sacrifices. The frame needs to be adjusted with the correct face wrap and tilt.
    3.patient education- the patient has to know what to expect.

4. One pair of glasses does not do everything.
    If the patient spends a lot of time on the computer, they need to have computer glasses; shamir office or sola access.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    One of many, many, replies:

"There are vision people, and there are convenience people". You, sir, are a "vision person". You like perfect vision. Be prepared to make the necessary compromise in convenience (and cost) for your "psychological set."

Try this:
    1.) Your distance vision is pretty good. Leave it alone, and don't wear any distance Rx.

2.) Might be nice to have some distance-only glasses for extreme circumstances, maybe with a sunclip for driving, too. This is optional, of course.

3.) Your best bet for paying the bills, surfing the net, reading the paper would be segmented multifocals (yes, lines!) with the top part for intermediate distance, the bottom part for close distance. A 35-mm will thrill you. Leave these at home, though. This is what you need the most.

4.) For out-and-about, progessives are a good enough idea. They look nice. They are up to any short-term visual task. Throw in Transitions if you have any money left for a little sun protection if you'd like. Panamic is a superb choice, here, because it's easy to ambulate with these. (Maybe the best one, except for Definity, which will be coming to a store near you soon;) ).

Here is some wisdom for you: once a (true*) progressive non-adapt, always a progressive non-adapt. No progressive I know of will change that.

As was posted by a wise man on this forum, once, and I paraphrase, "progressives make compromises with vision to achieve their desired effect", which is cosmetics and variable focus. In other words, nothing's perfect, and nothing's right for everyone.

*"true" means no one screwed up, before.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

progressives and computers

A conventional progressive is good for many things but not perfect for all things
    Often people do better with a dedicated pair of computer glasses to supplement either bifocals or progressives
    I often fit a pair of computerr bifocals intermediatre on top and reading in the segment older computer users love themProgressive wearers often do well with access or a similar int/near progressive

Ed

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Not for you........................

Quote Originally Posted by aamsel

OD- SPH= PL, CYL= -075, AXIS= 160
    0S- SPH=-025, CYL=-025, AXIS=080
    ADD= +2.50
    When people start wearing bifocals in younger years and the add is 0.75 or 1.00 D, progressive lenses are ideal for most people. Mostly because they want to hide old age creeping on.

The way I understand you had one pair prior to which you could not get used to. Therfore I assume you wore some type of bifocals before. If you did, you can purchase any brand, name, AR coating on progressives, it will not work.

You are used to a clear vision through the distance portion of your lenses amd have a good field of vision for close up.

Progressives can not be made without the usual distortion on 1/3rd of the lens plus the reading field gets smaller as the addition goes up. A 2.50 add is just about the highest you can go, which means you have the worst scenario to get adapted. Go back to the type of lenses you used to wear before and you will be happy forever.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by IIII

4. One pair of glasses does not do everything.
    If the patient spends a lot of time on the computer, they need to have computer glasses; shamir office or sola access.
    Err, yes and no.

I have had other stores in my city who have pushed the second pair for reading. What happens? The customer is furious, because the customer never wore the reading pair in the two years that he or she had them.

My suggestion is make the client aware, but fit the client up first with the PAL's and if he or she wants the second pair later on then fit them up with at a good price.

Banned
    try the varilux liberty
    Quote Originally Posted by aamsel
    I DON'T have much correction, as it is.
    Here is my RX:

OD- SPH= PL, CYL= -075, AXIS= 160
    0S- SPH=-025, CYL=-025, AXIS=080
    ADD= +2.50

So you see, I have almost NO distance correction, other than astigmatism. I have never needed distance glasses, they just sharpen things up a little. I still don't know if I need them. I may have been better off with "room distance" glasses, not sure.
    The optometrist I saw was great, she spent a huge amount of time doing the Rx, and she recommended progressives. I told her that my last progressives did not work.

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Austin, Texas

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Arrow From the customers perspective

Aamsel,

I went thru the same problems the last time I got new glasses. I do not think it should be this hard to get glasses. I have been wearing PALs for about 15 years and it all depends on the Optician or sails person in most cases. It is very hard to get them to order what you want. You almost have to become an Optician yourself. This board has been very helpful in teaching me how to ask for help, what words to use, and how to understand what the salesperson (SP) is telling me. However most of the time the (SP) gets angry when you ask what lenses they dispense. They want you to sit down, give them the prescription, pick your frames, take measurements, and then come back in a week to get your glasses. Do not ask any questions. When you come back and the glasses are not acceptable because you cannot use them for your work they say, “Wear them longer”, or “why didn’t you tell me you needed them for that”.

I am an artist (painter) it is very important I see well. I have had to learn more than I ever wanted to know about glasses. I use the Army hospital for my exams and they are very competent with the latest equipment. The Optometrist suggested I get two pair, one progressive Definity and one computer Office. She wrote two different prescriptions. I almost went nuts last time just trying to get something I could see out of, this time it looks like I am going to have to drive 200 miles to get Definity lenses. I have my own frames which is another problem The (SP) do not like that either. All I ask is, when I look down at my square painting it will not look like a piece of pie. You guys suggested Panamic the last time and that is what I am wearing now. What do you think of Definity?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by murralis
    Aamsel,

I went thru the same problems the last time I got new glasses. I do not think it should be this hard to get glasses. I have been wearing PALs for about 15 years and it all depends on the Optician or sails person in most cases. It is very hard to get them to order what you want. You almost have to become an Optician yourself. This board has been very helpful in teaching me how to ask for help, what words to use, and how to understand what the salesperson (SP) is telling me. However most of the time the (SP) gets angry when you ask what lenses they dispense. They want you to sit down, give them the prescription, pick your frames, take measurements, and then come back in a week to get your glasses. Do not ask any questions. When you come back and the glasses are not acceptable because you cannot use them for your work they say, “Wear them longer”, or “why didn’t you tell me you needed them for that”.

I am an artist (painter) it is very important I see well. I have had to learn more than I ever wanted to know about glasses. I use the Army hospital for my exams and they are very competent with the latest equipment. The Optometrist suggested I get two pair, one progressive Definity and one computer Office. She wrote two different prescriptions. I almost went nuts last time just trying to get something I could see out of, this time it looks like I am going to have to drive 200 miles to get Definity lenses. I have my own frames which is another problem The (SP) do not like that either. All I ask is, when I look down at my square painting it will not look like a piece of pie. You guys suggested Panamic the last time and that is what I am wearing now. What do you think of Definity?
    I do not know if you are going to see any better with the definity.

Your major problem is that you use your glasses for painting. Right there it says that you need two pairs. The office lens is perfect. Whether it is the office, the access, the online you will do well if the optician does a good job. Then your other pair is the PAL. Honestly, I do not see you sitting there, getting your Definity's and saying "wow, these are so much better." I think you would be happy with both.

Find an optician that will give you service. Find an optician that will help you.

The measurements of the PAL is more important than the brand. So look for someone talented.

As long as your frame is in good condition there should be no problem reusing it. The only real problem I could see is if it breaks in a year and the frame is discontinued then it might be difficult to get parts.

Thread Information