Thread: What does a good RX script include?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

What does a good RX script include?

Aside from the obvious of OU Dioptric and Add values with prescribed prism here and there what do you folks like to see on a doc's RX script.

I really like to know the VA along with the correction so that I can help to establish realistic expectations rather than having things sound like I am making excuses when dispensing the eyewear.

Although I always take PD's at all fittings, They are nice to have on a script to know you (or the doc) are in or out of the ballpark.

One doc in our area is notorious for specifying base curves. AH.......H, I cringe when someone hands me an RX from his office.

It's always nice to see options that were discussed on the RX so that we opticians do not always have to convey the image of being salespeople.

Finally, the PAL options in today's marketplace have some docs understanding not all PAL's are created equal and therefore establish favorites.
    I wouldn't have a problem with this except that most docs don't take enough time to educate themselves on new lens products that may best meet their patients eyecare needs.

Kevin.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aside from the obvious, I'd like to have the corrected VA's and vertex distance. If a pathology is being watched, such as cataracts, that would be nice to know also. I can be much more specific in my lens recommendations.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

The doctor on a prescription is only going to put down what is necessary,speaking only from the optical side. What is normally written down is: 1. rx for OD. And OS. 2. Prism if required (even
    though a lot of Doctors will miss prism, I have pointed it out on a number of occasions to doctors who thank me for my finding)3. Add power. 4. Signature by the doctor 5. Power for contacts if prescribing them 6. base curve 7. Diameter of lens 8. What type of lens the doctor recommends. 9. After catarack surgery is helpful
    10. Surgery date 11. Name of Doctor who proformed the surgery.
    12. Some insurance companies want the Doctor's upin number.
    That's all I can think of.:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Base curves are nice, but with computer's picking out the best
    curves it is almost in possible to order a specified curve now. In
    rare cases they will let you but most of the time they give you what the computer say's to.:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

On Pals and lens options it depends on whether the doc is an OD or MD. Because most MD's have not a clue what a Pal is or what lens treatments are out. Now if you have an OD who has a vested interest in the operation he will quickly learn that to make
    money he better recommend a/r, transitions, varilux ect.ect. Most OD's have no problem recommending once they have been shown
    the monetary gain. In the end it all comes down to money. Sad
    but it's true, show them the green back and the lights go on!
    :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is necessary to have all the Rx parameters, and nice for Dr. reccomendations. But all reccommendations that are checked on the script aren't worth a thing if the Dr. does not actually speak to the Pt. about them.:hammer:

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Amen on the VAs...! It would save Opticians (and patients) a lot of grief if the refractionist would note the Best Corrected Acuity- both with the current script and with the new.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Ya Pete that would be ,but I don't know of one Doctor that does that, so what's the point? If they are not going to put it down what can you do but call him or her up and find out the va's.
    :bbg:
    Last edited by jediron; 02-17-2004 at 07:53 AM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On specticles I would defintely like the va. If there were some codeing mentioning, scotomas or defects it would be nice to know, but it's not always wise to share this with the patient (he can read the Rx) as many will obcess. All you have to do is mentions some lens cloudiness which might develop into a catarac and then you will have a patient wanting to be seen for reassurance every 6 months.

As to a contact lens Rx, I want the patient's name, Spectacle Rx, the date, and the words "O.K. for contacts only. That way if things aren't working you have a more or less free hand to change them. The worst Rx's I get are from some doctor who consulted a chart and then precribed what the chart said. If it doesn't center, or the patient doesn't see, or the doctor doesn't know about vertex compensation, I can fix all that without the patient having to return to the doctor for his opinion on what's wrong.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Chip said, "If there were some coding mentioning scotomas or defects it would be nice to know..."

With the new patient privacy act, I don't think that would be allowed.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I am with Pete and Judy on this one, BCA and the vertex are fairly important.. especially in a higher powered RX.

I also seen someone mention having a OD or OMD write recommendations on the script.. this is a NO-NO in my book, once it has been written on the script technically it has become part of that script so if they write a PAL design for example you are theoretically supposed to use that design. I have a problem with an OD giving out design recommendations on a script unless say it is the request for a multi-focal or bi-focal but not a brand.
    If they do include a PD I would prefer it to be the refractive PD that was used on the phropter and not a PD taken and included on the script, especially if it was from a pair of glasses and NOT the taken PD from a patient..
    I also would tend to not want any mention of a base curve, and here is the reason, you change designs some are in odds and some evens so that match may not always be possible.. also it is the OCULAR curve you should be trying to match not the base curve.. you change the RX and use the same base curve you just moved all the flash point on that lens surface and changed the inside curveand most likely added more disortion.. well it does not always cause a problem but in some cases it does..
    That is why we have base curves to try to be able to give the optimum correction (power VS. BC) or what if we change design? .. no use using aspherical vs. spherical if you use the same curve, that is one of the benefits is we can reduce the profile of the lens and have the problems offset by design :)
    I guess I was spoiled, if you guys did see the "older" guys scripts and all the info compared to the ones now a days you would think you went to optician's heaven :)

Jeff "maybe I have been around to stinking long" Trail

Thread Information