Thread: OOPS! It broke. What would you do?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not that this ever happens but...
    Some one comes in for a simple adjustment. One temple is bent way out making the eyeglasses obviously uncomfortable. You take it back to the lab and with the correct plier you adjust it and it breaks right off. The frame while not brand new is in otherwise good condition. No warranty available, the make/model of the frame is unknown. Lets make it tougher by saying there's colored enamel that makes a quick weld not a quick answer as it will burn off the enamel. He's out there waiting....what do you do??? At who's cost??

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Hope, nay pray you rembered to tell them that it was at their risk...before you started and that they are smaller than you :D
    Then thinking fast you have to offer them a deal they can't refuse.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    You're not perhaps on your way out the (back)door for your lunch hour, are you? If, not, and you have to deal with this personally, be as sincere as possible, tell them exactly what you just stated, what options are available, and that though there will be cost to them, you will make every effort to keep it to a minimum...and that might include duct tape!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If you warned them beforehand that there was a risk, then it's tough luck and they pay. If you didn't, then it's tough luck and you pay :) Give them something crap that you can't sell.
    Maria
    PS Have you been in your lab for hours, on the computer, manically clicking refresh, waiting for people to reply, whilst your man sits outside?

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

I have always found honesty to be the best policy especially in these situations. Of course the do it at your own risk speech I give everytime a frame didn't come from our dispensary. I always like to add to that I certainly will NOT try to break your frame but it can happen anytime you work on them. Has anyone out there been asked how many you have broken? I have been asked several times and I always say the same thing "None today" :)
    Steph

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Steph, I've never had anyone ask how many I've broken, but I have had ppl get extremely rude and say "Well, I'll take it to so-and-so optical, where they GUARANTEE their work!!" Keep in mind I say this very politely, while holding a frame that has a temple bent 90' the wrong way.

Whenever I have broken someones frame, I come out with a big smile and say "Congratulations you get a new frame!!"
    and pray I find a frame to mount the lenses in.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just a hypothetical this time. Of course its happened to all of who have been around for a bit. I just wanted to know how the crowd would handle it. Personally, honesty is the best policy and hopefully it was a true weakness in the frame and not ineptness. The cost is the patient's but I would give a better than usual price for the replacement. It goes without saying about the pre-warning, but I don't think everybody warns everybody, every time they touch someones eyeglasses. We usually only warn if there is some tell tale reason to think that the possibility of breakage exists.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea

Originally posted by specs13:
    Just a hypothetical this time. Of course its happened to all of who have been around for a bit. I just wanted to know how the crowd would handle it. Personally, honesty is the best policy and hopefully it was a true weakness in the frame and not ineptness. The cost is the patient's but I would give a better than usual price for the replacement. It goes without saying about the pre-warning, but I don't think everybody warns everybody, every time they touch someones eyeglasses. We usually only warn if there is some tell tale reason to think that the possibility of breakage exists.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

There is ALWAYS a possibility for breakage.If the breakage is caused by a frame defect or because of ( I hate to say ineptitude) our failure to proceed slowly :), then it is our responsibility to make it right without cost.All other situations become the responsibility of the customer.What do other sevice industries do? If it were your car mechanic for example.I think we all know the answer to that one :)

------------------
    Harry J

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have always given the "I do this at your risk speech". Then depending on how well they take the news, I deal with it accordingly. Either I find a frame to fit their lenses and give it for free OR I look apologetically (and speak my apologies) as I am handing them back the pieces.

We have the luxury of having a frame hospital of pieces and usually I can from the parts piece together a frame for them. The front may not BELONG to the temples, but I am out no real money as these are the remaining parts from prior warranties (we replace only the broken part). I can replace whatever is broken be it temples, front or both.

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We post a sign that states "If you would like us to adjust your eyeglasses that were purchased elsewhere, please know that we are not responsible for breakage."

A verbal helps, too.

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Thread Information