Thread: Visual Fields question

Bad address email on file

Visual Fields question

BELATED HAPPY NEW YAER TO ALL OPTIBOARDERS
    (BETTER NOW THAN NEVER)

Any one of you with ideas how to read Visual Fileds prints. When scotaoma shows in upper quadrant is the actual blind area in lower quadrant of retina? Please help!! tKS.

OptiWizard
    Yes, The superior visual field is seen by the inferior retina and the right visual field is seen by the left retina. The location of the scotoma can be followed back along the visual pathway all the way to the visual cortex. This can be helpful in localizing the lesion that produces the scotoma.

What type of scotoma does the patient have?

Stopper, you are true gentleman. Loads of thanx fir fast reply. my knowledge does not go far then confrntation test, this particualr chart is gray scale typ in which left eye shoes dark grey area extending from blindsopt and covers 1/4 upper quardarnt field. now where is actual area of problem, lower retina or upper and where & what is the lseion?
    Do you know of ant book that instruct in this year or any websites pls.
    Thanx again doctor!

OptiWizard
    Difficult to answer that question with out seeing the field and having a patient history. Is this your patient? Are you doing visual field exams now? Is the field defect bilateral :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

Stopper you are correct. But I have another question. How was the visual field administered? Anotherwords,was the patient informed on how to take the test? Two was the person incharge of giving the test present with the patient as he or she took the test so that they could provide veracity of the test? I have found that a lot of busy offices give the patient a rudimentary knowledge then leave the room to let the patient take the test,
    where I have found that patients will routinely vary from point to point because of head movement, where this could cause a missed diagnoses. Just a thought!
    :D :bbg:

OptiWizard
    Jediron,

I agree,reliability of the test is critical to the interpretation. Most modern field analyzers have a fixation monitor and will show the results to help see how reliable the result is. One should also lookat the false positives and false negatives to judge reliability.
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Stopper said:
    I agree,reliability of the test is critical to the interpretation. Most modern field analyzers have a fixation monitor"

That is true, but if there is no body in the room to watch the said
    patient the head movement can be crucial in evaluating the field.
    I have seen many tests where a false reading was gotten because the patient could not or would not keep there eye fixated. Most of the time it was because the tech left the room to do other things the doctor wanted to be done. Again just a thought.

:bbg: :D

OptiWizard
    Jediron,
    you are 100% correct. We always have a tech with the patient. But the machine tracks fixation losses. print out shows 10/15 fixation losses. the data is thrown out and redone.

i m not doing visual field exam,nor was my ptient -just studying case file from patient dasta base.thanks

was this an elderly patient

Was this patient an elderly patient cause sometimes dropping eyelids can also cause that same effect of upper quadrent loss of visual field. just a thought. but without seeing field test or charts would be impossible to say.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

eyewild said:
    Was this patient an elderly patient cause sometimes dropping eyelids can also cause that same effect of upper quadrent loss of visual field. just a thought. but without seeing field test or charts would be impossible to say.

This is true. Usually in the practice I was associated with, they would use hospital tape and tape the upper lid from drooping down. Or we would schedule them for lid surgery to correct for the
    drooping eye lid and re-test after the surgery and the lid had healed. Again just a thought!:bbg: :D

Thread Information