Thread: Policies on cof's

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Policies on cof's

What are your policies on using and or adjustments on customer's or patient's own frame.
    I get a few frames that have been sat on for realign and adjust, and tell them there is a chance I'll break their frame trying to fix it and cannot be responsible if this happens, some are fine with this, but some of the customers are surprised of our policy.
    What is everyone's take on this subject.
    Rich R.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If it is our customers frame (and not like a million years old) we will take responibility. If it is not our frame, we will warn them. I just say that I do not deal with that frame company and do not know the quality of that frame.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    EyeCare Plus will be happy to repair or adjust all eyewear. In the case of eyewear not purchased here, this is done at your own risk and we cannot be responsible for breakage or any damage that may occur.
    We posted this after realizing that it is always an old irreplaceable frame or a frame from a company that we don't have an account with that will break. That frame will also break at the last second, just when you thought the repair is fine.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tell everyone right up front that there is a possibility that the frame may break when being bent back to original shape. I explain that it may be able to be repaired or a new frame will need to be purchased, whatever the case may be. Most people understand this and will say that they wanted someone who knows what they are doing to fix it rather than try it themselves. I'll make sure that I do whatever I need to do, right in front of them, so that they know I'm being careful. Rarely is there any problem with this approach.

OptiBoard Apprentice soontobeopti's Avatar
    At WM we will use the patients own frame if they want us to. We look over the frame to make sure there isn't any visible cracks, or a lot of wear and abuse. If the frames look really worn, we will strongly strongly suggest that they get a new frame.
    When we use their frames, we tell me up front there is a change they will break, and we are not responsible for them.
    We have only had a few ever break, so that good. For the most part, people want a new frame, so we don't have to deal with patients frame much.
    *Angela*

~~The skies not the limit. It's just the beginning.~~

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Adjustment of Patient's frame

It is my belief when you look at the frame and "think" it will break during the adjustment.... DON'T ADJUST IT! and, if you tell the patient you won't adjust there frame because of your experience you are almost assured of breakage.

In this way you are taking responsibility for your own actions and not saying to the patient "if it should break I can't be responsible"

The patient will make the call to "try" or see what your suggestions would be, ie: find a frame to fit the lenses or complete pair etc.

Again in this matter, I believe that by saying NO, and explain why you wont, This makes the patient know that you know what you are doing and will rely on your advise on the next steps.

Robert
    ;)
    There are many things in life that catch your eye... but very few things will catch your heart.... Pursue those!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier Adjustments

:( I don't know a sound answer to the question. If the frame is grossly bent we warn our patients of possible breakage. There are a lot of fine hairling cracks in some of these frames that you don't see when you start and a small adjustment on that part separates the frame. The patient came in with it slightly out of adjustment and will inevitably have forgotten that the glasses had been smashed a couple weeks ago. You are left holding the bag and either decide that you want to keep your reputation and substitute a new frame or send the patien out angry and telling everyone they know how incompetent you are and that you broke their frame and not anything they did caused the situation.

I end up using a combination of warning if it gross adjustments or keeping some low cost inventory to replace those frames that unpredictably fall apart in your hands.

Good will and continual reputation is critical to your sucess in the long run.

Jerry:idea:
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Charge for adjustments. Warn client of possibility of breakage due to frame being bent or smashed - or whatever. If client chooses to proceed either charge for adjustment or in the unlikely event it breaks - waive the adjustment fee. After all, it is not your fault the frame was compromised, so why take responsibility if it breaks?

They came to you (a professional) to help them "mend" the eyewear, be a professional and don't "give" your services away.

P.S. Frame warranties and defects are a different matter entirely, as are minor adjustments from "usual" wear and tear.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honosty goes a long way. Take each situation as it arises. Only you can deterimine the 'potentials'. Remember, nothing is ever black and white, there is always a grey area. You'll find your judgement is most likely the correct one.

:D

Cowboy

Thread Information