Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABO Test Question

OptiBoard Apprentice soontobeopti's Avatar

ABO Test Question

I am scheduled to take ABO certification tests in March, and frankly, I am already stressing about it. There is so much to remember!
    I don't know how many work at Wal-mart, but for us, we have a manual that we study, its called the WAVE Manual. It covers everything you need to know. After you are done studying it, you should have enough knowledge to pass the ABO test.
    But I'm stressing that maybe I won't!!! :( I want to pass it so bad!!! But I keep thinking...'Maybe I don't know enough!!' I mean, I know all the basics and stuff; I have been working in the Vision Center for 4 months now. I do have some trouble with getting all the anatomy of the eye down. I keep getting confused.
    So, can you think of something on the test that you had thought 'Boy I really needed to know more about that'? Was there anything that surprised you, or caught you off guard? Or was it all pretty much the basic stuff that you already knew?
    I guess I'm just nervous that I will fail it because I don't have enough facts down-pat.
    Got any suggestions? Is there something I should keep in mind when I am taking the test? I wish I could see a sample of it, so I knew what to expect. :(

Well, I guess that turned out to be more than one question. Sorry if I don't make any sense at all.:hammer: I try, I really do.

Thanks!!!
    *Angela*

~~The skies not the limit. It's just the beginning.~~

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Angela:

It has been a very, very long time since I have taken ABO but I have taken it several times as I tend to procrastinate and let things expire. I do recall that each time I have taken it, it somehow seems to be drasticly dumbed down. And I do not recall a single anantomy question on it since about 1968.

Let not your heart be troubled.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Study Materials

Angela,
    Get some additional study aids. While I have not seen the Walmart Manual, I would take a look at the study guides and review books available at the National Academy (www.nao.org). You will find them significantly more beneficial. The test is not difficult, and with some study, you will do fine. Best of luck!

Dr. Mac

Thanks for the quick replies!!
    Wow...no anatomy question! I would be the HAPPIEST person in the world if there were no anatomy question. I would even be happy if there was just a few! :D
    I have just spent 3 hours typing out all my notes I took about anatomy....I still get all confused!:hammer: It would be nice if the test is dumbed down...I'm pretty dumbed down myself LOL

Thanks for the suggestion and the link D. Mac! Knowing that the test isn't out-of-this-world-hard makes me feel much better!!

Thanks!!!
    *Angela*

Hello "SoontobeOpti"

Welcome to the board, i recently took the ABO and was hectic just like you, but don't worry i passed the ABo with flying colors!!!! yahhhooooooooooo:D :cheers:

little advice i jut down every topic i remmember from the test i bet you will get in college terms " B+, A" after checking them out.

go to 'Ophthalmic Optics' then "ABO Review" the last reply print it and review it and lastly you will be on track

Anatomy Q- basically all optics as i remember, it question on Ptosis Crutch that is all on Anatomy.

GOOOOOOOOOOOD LUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKK
    and Welcome to the board;)

Thank you OdTech!!!!!! That was very helpful!!:D :bbg:
    I printed it all out. I am going to take that list to work next, and wirte down all I can find on those subjects.

Thanks again!! :cheers:

Oh, and congrats on passing your test with flying colors! I hope I will be able to say that!
    *Angela*

:D you are welcome
    also check all the past posts in Ophthalmic Optics like "Which Formula to use" u will find something useful for you to know but not to apply on test maybe.

Good literature to review:

System of Ophthalmic Dispensing 2nd Ed, Brooks and Borish
    Formula tutorial Brooks or Borish.

Don't fret, just practice
    :bbg: :idea:

Good luck you will need it:idea:
    Last edited by OdTech; 01-17-2004 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks guys!!
    Thanks OdTech for the literuature to review. I will check those out too!

I have one more question. How many questions (roughly) are there? A co-worker of mine said she heard from a friend of hers that has a co-worker--- :hammer: --- who just took the ABO test and said there was over 500 questions. Is that anywhere near true??
    (please so NO!!)

Thanks!!
    Sorry to bother you all with these silly questions, but I want to feel as prepared as I can be when I take it.
    Thanks again!
    *Angela*

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Angela, when I took the exam, there were only 100 questions. And as I remember, no anatomical questions, not even the ptosis one as mentioned above. That doesn't mean that the tests have NOT been changed, but they have several exams and they CAN be rotated.

Don't sweat it. Just do your studying, know Prentice's Rule and you'll do fine.

Bob V.

p.s. know how to measure progressives, also.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

When I worked for WM I used a TOPS manual by Michael DiSanto and it was very thorough and yes I passed first try. I was also very stressed very tired as I stayed up studying and trying to get down pat calculating slab off and not one question. There is also a kit you can buy if you really are interested on www.opticaltraining.com. It is around $300 but WORTH every penny. I don't have an ABO one I have the NCLE one and it was fabulous. I would have to say I didn't waste one cent on that. Good luck to you!! If you have any questions feel free. When I was taking it I was on here begging for help constantly!! LOL!! And always got it too.

Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

Oh and Angela for you info and tell your friend there are only 100 questions on ABO!! I think NCLE is 125. And they give you like 3 hours to take it if I remember correctly. I HAS been 3 years since I have taken it(CAN YOU GUYS BELIEVE THAT????? No lie I just renewed for the first time!!! YEA!!! ) They should tell you on the ABO website.

Steph

Thanks a lot stephanie!! I will look that kit over, but I think that is priced a little too high for my paycheck. :)
    And I will be sure to tell my co-worker so she can tell her to friend to tell her co-woker LOL!!
    *Angela*

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Angela, I agree with wmcdonald, the prep courses from the NAO are excellent preparation material. It's great to see someone with your enthusiasm in the field. I think it would be a pleasure to work with you with your excitement. I would assume there would be questions on anatomy and study & memorize whatever material you have available. The worst that could happen is you will learn more than you need and be better in your career. I would have to dig out some old material, but anytime I sat for a state board, or ABO/NCLE tests, the first thing I did was take a scratch paper & write down any necessary math formulas I had studied. This gave me a reference when I came to the questions and took off a lot of pressure, making the exam much easier.

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

Here is a tip to help you in your studies: While reviewing your optical formulas, try to first understand the concepts before memorizing the formulas. I have found this helps greatly.

For example; If you understand the concept of how a slab-off prism is used to help a patient read through their bifocals, then the formula will more likely make sense and will be more easily remembered.

When taking a multiple choice test, you can usually pick the correct answer if you grasp the concept without actually doing any calculations. This will make you more relaxed while taking the test.

Best of luck on the exam!

-Brendan Walsh

Another literature:

TOPS : Dispensing Manual
    Author: Michael R. DiSanto, B.A., FNAO

you can get it at www.nao.org

members $50
    non members $60

I think you can afford this with your paycheck instead of paying $230

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

I did mention that the TOPS manual was the only one I used to pass. You might want to ask the manager at wm if they can get it for you. They supplied me with mine and it was great. I understand that the kit is pricey. The only reason I mentioned it was in case you were interested. I only used the NCLE one and it was awesome. The TOPS manual was also great.

Steph

hi all
    am here after a long time
    can somebody please tell me wat is the topic of conversation here?

------------------------------------
    http://www.zonelinks.com
    ------------------------------------
    The Power Link Dimension

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO Exam

Hi all, I'm taking the ABO Test next sunday up in Dallas and I'm also sweating it.
    I've been in the optical field for about 6 years now, from lab to optician to tech and back to optician. I've been studying the Home Study Course from the Optical Training Institute and it is great. I should have took the test back in 2000, but I chickened out, but this time I'm gonna do it and I better pass, I'm such an aweful test taker :-) If I can remember anything from the test by the time I get back home to Houston I'll tell you guys about it until then please wish me good luck and good memory (not a bad case of Alzheimers). Just thinking about it I get sick to my stomach, yikes

Later all,

A Boe

Hey look at that, first initial of my first name and the first part of my last name spells ABOE it's the ABO Exam, if that isn't luck

Wave abo exam

Hey Angela, I'm scheduled to take the ABO exam in 2005 as well. So did anyone send anything useful to help you? I'm very nervous too. So if you have anything useful to pass on please let me know. Thanks so much. Christy

Bad address email on file wmatlock's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Abo Test

Get with your Vision Center Manager. There are some sample ABO test questions on your computer system. GOOD LUCK

W. L. Matlock, ABOC
    Arkansas Licensed Optician:finger:

Thanks for writing me back; but guess what my optical manager is taking the exam with me. How funny is that. Its been years for her so you know. All the opticians in Florida say no sweat. Worry more about the ncle and state board. I'm not too too worried I've been in the business for a year or so.:)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO test gitters

Hi, contact the optical shop manager of the Macomb, Il Walmart. He might be able to tell you what the Walmart manuals didn't cover when he took the test just a few years ago. Good luck, I am sure you will do just fine.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Over a year later but inquiring minds want to know-----

Did you pass?

Fester
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-24-2005 at 10:28 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I passed with flying colors, found it kinda easy and was wondering why everybody always said it's such a hard test. I studied my you know what off until I remembered pretty much everything, I guess all the late nights of hard work sure helped.

All you others please tell us if you passed and what your experience was.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

I took the ABO test after graduating from Opticianry School in 1985 and seemed fairly difficult, ie. it seemed to cover a lot of what I learned in Optical School, while attending Pima College, Arizona(no longer do they teach this program). I had one advantage, I was taught by an old school optician who got his license in NY state, the hardest state in the nation at that time to be licensed in. I have heard that the ABO today is not as difficult and the standards of accedemics has been lowered to pass more people, not such a great idea. New Jersey still maintains a degree of excellence to make it there, so study hard if your going to New Jersey , cause in NJ they dont take american express, bring your visa card, lol just kidding.

Thread Information