View Poll Results: Have the press reports about US Mad Cow disease got you eating less beef?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

3 10.00%
  • No.

26 86.67%
  • What's mad cow disease?

1 3.33%

Thread: Beef and Mad Cow

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Beef and Mad Cow

Has the press hoopla over US Mad Cow Disease got you eating less beef?

I've noticed that even though I don't eat beef every day to begin with I'm not eating any less since the whole Mad Cow thing.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some people in the press and the public don't have enough problems of thier own.

I'll bet the same people that worry about this have a keen interest in Princess Di.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Stick out tongue I'll give up my beef.......

...as soon as they pry it, my cigerettes, wine, romance novel that takes 1/20th of my IQ and gun out of my cold dead hands. By the way Chip, do YOU think Princess Di was pregnant?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, apparently this cow was born and imported before 1997 when they started new regulations concerning feeding cows meat parts. I have been eating beef way before 1997 so I imagine the risk today is no greater than the unknown risk before.

Besides, sometimes, you gotta be a little bad or things would just be too boring.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Di was pregnant with a mad cow??? :-)

Supposedly the disease only affects the brain and spinal cord of the infected cow. Since I'm not fond of putting either of those on the BBQ, I'm not worrying much about it.
    There was some speculation that mad cow would bring beef prices down, but my bet is there are too many people on the Atkins diet for that to happen.

Blake

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Question low risk but !!!!!

Supposedly the disease only affects the brain and spinal cord of the infected cow. Since I'm not fond of putting either of those on the BBQ, I'm not worrying much about it.
    There was some speculation that mad cow would bring beef prices down, but my bet is there are too many people on the Atkins diet for that to happen.

Blake
    But not only brains spinal cord etc.
    Q: Are some cuts safer?

A: Yes. Meat that is cut from spinal bone, such as porterhouse or T-bone steaks, have a greater chance of coming in contact with spinal cord tissue. Cuts like shanks or brisket would be less risky.

Q: What about ground beef?

A: The safest hamburger is meat you grind yourself from a single muscle like chuck roast. (Use the on-off pulse of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.)

Ask your butcher or meat market manager if the beef is ground from whole muscle meat from a good source. Prepackaged ground meat can come from a variety of animals and often contains meat scraps. In one USDA study cited by NYU's Nestle, a sample of ground beef was found to contain meat from as many as 400 different animals. Rosemary Mucklow, executive director of the National Meat Association, which represents meat packers and processors, says that one batch of hamburger can be made from meat from several sources, including animals from countries like Australia.

Some meat in hot dogs, sausages and ground beef, especially in frozen and processed products, comes from a process called "advanced meat recovery," in which meat is extruded from carcasses under pressure without crushing the bones. A 2002 USDA survey of AMR plants found that the meat from three- quarters of the tested plants contained central nervous system tissue..
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Thumbs up Too Late....

Well if you going to worry about a little bit of beef killing you then you aint going eat or do to much are you....:hammer:
    Still it would be one way of wiping texas of people....Hell they all look mad to me already....
    Been eating beef all my life and ate more than ever when we had the scare :o over here....
    Well it was a lot cheaper......:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, the latest news is that fish is bad for you too. I think we have all known about Mercury issues for years the press seems to enjoy building up hysteria lately.

Well, there's always genetically altered veggies or a little
    Soylent Green. I can hear it at the sports stadiums now, "Get your Soylent Red hots here!"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: I'll give up my beef.......

LaurieC said:
    ...as soon as they pry it, my cigerettes, wine, romance novel that takes 1/20th of my IQ and gun out of my cold dead hands. By the way Chip, do YOU think Princess Di was pregnant?

And they say there aren't any good women around anymore:D
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hasn't anyone figured out...

Jo said:
    Well, the latest news is that fish is bad for you too. I think we have all known about Mercury issues for years the press seems to enjoy building up hysteria lately.

Well, there's always genetically altered veggies or a little
    Soylent Green. I can hear it at the sports stadiums now, "Get your Soylent Red hots here!"
    ...that life is terminal! :D In the words of Clint Eastwood "Dyinz easy. It's livin' that's hard." Everything we put into our bodies has some form of toxin that makes us want it regardless of the necessity for it to remain living. The food we eat, the air we breathe and the water we drink. Everything contains a free radical which cause the degradation of the body while in the living state. We are predestined to deteriorate and die and our world is killing us! EGADS! Is life hopeless? Could there be another way?...lets take a look at that kitchen shall we :D

Where is Green Peace when you need them? They need to ban everything so that we can all live happy healthy lives...er...wait. That just doesn't sound right does it? I'll get back to you on that ;)

Take care,

Darris C.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    See ... here's my theory ... styrofoam is just going to become one of the Earth's major resources. We aren't going to destroy the Eart; we are going to destroy ourselves. Once we are gone, the Earth will go on as an adapted version of itself.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Laurie:

No, I was a gentleman and took precautions against that.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Amazing, Chip...

Just for that, I'm going to write the Queen and petition you for knighthood. That was admirable!!!!
    Bob V

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile fish too

Well, the latest news is that fish is bad for you too.
    :bbg:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Thread Information