Thread: Help with question please

OptiBoard Novice

Help with question please

hello, I have a relatively expensive pair of frames, but that's all I have. I need a template of some sort to get the lenses made from. The words "Gizmo 50 20" & "Made in Denmark by Lindberg" appear on the frames. Do you have any idea where I might be able to obtain a shape/template for the lenses? Thanks for your time

- damian

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it a rimless (three-piece mount) frame?

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Novice
    It is in 3 pieces. One part is the top and sides, the other 2 are little undersides that clip onto the top piece near the nose and sides to hold in the lenses.

One place said they might be able to fasion lenses but it would cost more money and i'm not sure how close they'll get to what they're supposed to be shaped like. Any help would be appreciated.

- damian

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Damian

If you go to www.lindberg.com you can contact the company direct and most likely request a pattern to be sent to you. It sounds like its one of their older frames prior to the Air Titanium line. May be wrong about that though. I would seriously try the contact route via the website if you want the authentic shape for your frame. Of course any reputable optical shop could "fashion" lenses for a mounting, if you are willing to accept that method. Hope this helps.

OptiBoard Novice
    Thank you for your help. I went to the website you posted and got their address. I'll have to write to them or call them in Denmark as there is no email link from their web page. I also got a phone number and address of a local place the sells Lindberg, and I'm thinking maybe they'll be able to obtain a pattern. Again thank you for your help.

- damian

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Air Rim

Damian

It sounds like it's an Air Rim you have. Gizmo being the name of the shape and 50 x 20 being eye size and DBL I doubt you'll have any joy with Lindberg cos they are about as tight as a ducks back side.

But, I know a place who will glaze it for you and are bloody good ( No I'm not on commission !) how do I know they are good? I work for them. Them being Horizon Optical in England, web site is : Horizonoptical.co.uk , speak to a lady called Zerrin, I'm sure you can come to some sort of arrangement with her.

Livy

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re Gizmo

Hopefully an optician will have a good patternless edger near you. With one of those it is possible to duplicate the shape without the manufacturers pattern. I know when I sold a patient/customer a frame only I would supply a pattern for it as well,,,,if I had a duplicate pattern. Some vendors were very generous with patterns some were quite cheap.

Ed

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Re: Re Gizmo

Ed_Optician said:
    Hopefully an optician will have a good patternless edger near you. With one of those it is possible to duplicate the shape without the manufacturers pattern...................................
    Ed
    I am wondering if any of you have ever heard that you can make a pattern (former) with you own hands, by using some scissors and a file or you finish it on your hand edger.

There are also some patternmakers available. When doing rimpless mounts you can actually have and make an infinit amount of different shapes

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oh no, I'm getting old

QUOTE]Chris Ryser said:
    I am wondering if any of you have ever heard that you can make a pattern (former) with you own hands, by using some scissors and a file or you finish it on your hand edger.

Chris,

I am laughing. When I read your post, I thought you were being sarcastic...please tell me you are. I'm afraid you're probably not being sarcastic though. I guess it WAS nearly 20 years ago that I worked in a lab and made many patterns using scissors and a file and the side of a handstone. I am feeling old now. Now that you've pointed out that people are in the business and don't know about making their own patterns.

hip (not old) chic

Occupation

Re: Oh no, I'm getting old

I am feeling old now. Now that you've pointed out that people are in the business and don't know about making their own patterns.
    hip (not old) chic

hip (not old) chic

Thanks for the answer. Maybe I am a bit sarcastic, but I would NEVER have thought of calling a frame supplier for a pattern if a customer would be waiting for his glasses and can not get them because there is a former missing.. We would just make the pattern. When I had my surfacing lab we also purchased a pattern maker.

I remember when I was in the frame supply business and there were the 3 pattern types. AO, Shuron and can't remember the 3rd one (getting old) and it was always a pain in the neck because there was always one or the other missing in stock and then we had to make them.

But I a still of the opinion that an optician should be able to help him or herself out of a spot by being able to make pattern if needed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I cut most of my patterns by hand up until last year when I went patternless. I have a pattern maker, I just never thought that it made a decent pattern.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a lady come in last week with a rimlon frame, no lenses...just the monofilament attached. She asked me to put lenses in it for her. I told her that I needed the lenses, so that I could make lenses for the frame. She's had the frame for quite a while and wanted to reuse it. I asked her where the lenses were and she said that WalMart had made her 3 pair of lenses and none worked so, she returned them and got her money back.
    The frame had no markings so there was no way I was going to get a pattern.
    So, since the mono was still intact and had retained the original shape, I put the frame in my copy machine, made a copy, put a 180 line from endpiece to endpiece, cut it out, taped it to a pattern blank, traced the copy, cut the pattern, then put the finished pattern in my frame tracer and cut a pair of planos. I then called her in so that I could measure for her new pals. She is happy as a lark! It was a challenge, and I charged her $50 for my labor, which was about 30 minutes.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its good to see that there are still good opticians out there who embrace the challenge placed before them and put aside the notion that "it'll be too much work to find a pattern, or even make one, so buy one of these beautiful...." Keep up the great work and never give into mediocracy.

:cheers:

Cowboy

Bad address email on file Mikol's Avatar

Lindberg

Damian,

I have been a Lindberg dealer for many years....The frame you have is from the "RIM Collection" If you can not find help locally contact me via email and I can send you a "traceing" of the pattern to help your optician make you the correct shape. The real trick with that frame is to make sure that the "groove" is the correct depth and width to hold the frame.( it is different from the standard nylon grooves)

Good luck and enjoy your new eyewear!!

Mikol
    :cheers: :cheers:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

pattern making

I have and still teach pattern making the old fashioned way. I use an ultra fine Sharpie marker, aviation type compound tinsnips, and even a ZYL file
    Ideally for a nylon suspension mount..."LOGO mount" a factory pattern is best, a demo lens is second choice and a patient's own lens a third choice

1. Using the demo lens or POL place frame with mounted lenses on a lensometer as if to neutralize the glasses and mark lens with the spotter 3 dots
    2. Take a sharpie marker and a flexible PD ruler and mark a 180 line across the lens
    3. Unmount lens from frame
    4. Center lens over pattern blank trace lens shape onto patern blank
    5. Cut out pattern blank with snips and file to the line
    6. Edge with care
    7. Attach said pattern to patients record

Ed

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Perfect explanation.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Optician

7. Attach said pattern to patients record

Ed
    Perfect explanation......................and I love point number 7

Thread Information