Thread: Have to Vent!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Have to Vent!!

Just had a woman come in today with a pair of eyeglasses with one side bent way out. I brought them into the lab, adjusted the frame, also noticed it was unusually heavy for the Rx that it was. I put them on her and and she remarked at how much better that felt. I noted to her what I noticed about the weight of the eyeglasses and that she could greatly improve her comfort. She then boldly states, " I would never buy glasses in a private place like this. I get a better price at "XxXX-world eyeglasses". I just come to guys like you to adjust my glasses and get them fixed. The guys I buy them from don't do that well, and you guys do it for free."
    I then told her that this was a repair and it would be $5.00. I could tell she wasn't happy, but she paid.
    Just another story about what a bad idea it is to give services away, except for certain special cases.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Specs,

I understand your frustration and from working in an ophthalmology practice, we can probably exchange stories all day long.

The ones that stir me most are folks that come in to neutralize their new problem eyewear bought elsewhere to verify the RX. Then spend the next 30 min in our dispensing chair whinning and expecting your professional resolution AT NO CHARGE.

However, I wouldn't loose much sleep over the thing because you have to realize most budget minded customers are NOT loyal customers. They bounce all around to buy their eyewear and are never really happy until they exhibit respect for the profession and that professional respect is reciprocated as a valued customer. Furthermore, every business in town probably has the same sentiments for this person as you do. These are the same folks that buy tires at xyz used tire outlet and then expect the local tire store to repair their flats for nothing or next to nothing.

The next time someone says your prices are more expensive than xxx optical, inform them that you sell eyewear all day long to folks that invest in your quality eyewear as well as your ability to understand and meet their specific optical needs.

Tight Lines &
    Happy New Year

Kevin
    Last edited by PAkev; 12-31-2003 at 09:21 AM.

Thread Information