Thread: Dick Cheney, American sportsman

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Dick Cheney, American sportsman

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03343/249105.stm

See above link to story in local paper. Imagine the skill it takes to shoot farm raised birds squeezed into a killing field at a private club.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't have a problem with this. The pheasant is not a native bird to this country. All states that have a season for pheasants raise them and stock them in the field.

As for going to a "club" for a hunt like this, let Cheney do what he wants. Geez, Nixon, Ford and Clinton golfed. Reagan rode horses. Kennedy had Marilyn. Do we have to nitpick into everything everybody does?

I have a patient here that owns a hunt club that has elk, russian boar, and several other game animals on 400 acres in southern Missouri. Would I go? Nope. Can't afford the fees.

Bob V.

Bad address email on file
    Not much skill but lotsa fun !

The Great Spirit put us here to hunt, fish and make love. One outa three ain't bad on any given day especially in his condition.

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Um...ever done any bird hunting?

Farm raised, netted and released, boxed and released or any kind of bird hunting is not a simple task. Flying objects move quickly. Want to see how unsportsman like it is? Go try a little skeet shooting. You know when the target will be released and where it will go and see if you can hit it. It isn't easy.

I prefer bird hunting to any other kind because there is sport to it. Thanks for the article though. At least I know what they will be serving at the Veeps dinner party tonight ;)

Darris C.

PS. Bob, you need to come down here one year and do a little bird hunting with me. It's a blast. :)

Darris

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CHM 2023:

Voted for Gore did you.:p

Occupation
    Hi guys: yes I voted for Gore, and I am very skilled at skeet shooting ( late husband's influence) though honestly haven't done any for about 5 years so many no so skilled any longer. I have no issue with hunting, I have gone turkey hunting in my day (now there is a challenge) and love to fish. My point is this is hardly hunting.

Question for you hunting folks: we went cross country skiing yesterday (oh my aching every part of my body) and saw a fox on the trail. First we clearly did not disturb him and secondly, are foxes not nocturnal animals? Steered clear as I thought he might be rabid. Beautiful animal though.

Toodles.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I have no issue with hunting, I have gone turkey hunting in my day (now there is a challenge) and love to fish. My point is this is hardly hunting.
    You ain't kidding! Turkeys have excellent vision, and- for a bird that is depicted as being rather clumsy- moves like the wind (on the ground and in the air). The first time I saw a turkey taking to flight up through the forest- and heard the thumping of its wings- was one of the most awe inspiring sights I've seen while hunting.

As for the "hardly hunting," I do have to admit that a "canned hunt" doesn't really appeal much to me (although on some of those frigid days in buck season, I might be just fine with having one led on a leash in front of me so I could get out of the cold 8-^). However, considering Cheney's age, heart condition, schedule, etc., I can see why visiting a game club might be his only option for hunting.

Regardless, I get the point- if I saw a story about Algore hunting on a farm, I would probably get a hoot out of it, too.

Question for you hunting folks: we went cross country skiing yesterday (oh my aching every part of my body) and saw a fox on the trail. First we clearly did not disturb him and secondly, are foxes not nocturnal animals? Steered clear as I thought he might be rabid. Beautiful animal though.
    I've actually seen one or two fox while hunting- pretty rare to see them, though. I believe fox hunting is a sport carried out during the day (of course, its possible the fox hounds rouse them out of their den...), so I'll bet the fox you saw was all right- just out enjoying the day!

P.S.- Now grouse hunting is a challenge. You never see them until you hear the staccato "pfump, pfump, pfump, pfump, pfump" of their wings as they take off. I've never hit one!

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hmmm....Turkey hunting.

Since we have a lot of open territory, getting close to a turkey (at least close enough to shoot with a shotgun) is not a common occurence. Myself and a couple of friends of mine usually hunt them at distances with rifles and scopes.

It's legal to shoot turkey in Texas with a 22 cal. and we have some pretty accurate 22's since we also shoot compitition 22 target and silhouette. Not much sport to that since it's almost a guaranteed hit with an J.G. Anshcutz Mod. 64/MSR with bull barrel floated, bedded action, a 6.5X24 adjustable objective (out to 300 yards) scope and a 6 oz. trigger. GRUNT! GRUNT! GRUNT! :) They may have good eyesight but I have good equipment ;) If I could get close enough to one to shoot with a shotgun the bird would be going down. I likes shootin' movin targets.

As to the foxes, depending on what they are hunting will determine when they are up and around. If they are hunting more nocturnal animals they will tend to be late nighters, but if they can roust whatever they are hunting during the day or surprise them while they sleep then day hunting will be the chore of the day. But as to being nocturnal nope, just opportunists hunting when the opportunity is better.

Pete,

Ever hunted pheasant? It's aboiut like hunting grouse or quail and they move quick. When are you getting back to Texas boy? We need to go do some more shooting.

Take care folks,

Darris C.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Foxes

CHM:

I once built a deer stand (platform in a tree) worked all aftenoon hammering and sawing, etc. When I finished, I sat down on the deer blind to rest and within 5 min. (mid-afternoon) a large red fox came down the trail and passed right under my deer stand.

Chip

Occupation
    So now I know about foxes! Thanks guys!! Was talking to a friend the other day--do you remember when women used to wear fox collars on their winter coats? These little fox heads with beady eyes, each one biting the fur of the one in front of it. I remember as a child at church being absolutely fascinated by these things. Kinda creepy now that I look back!

Occupation

CHM2023

Too funny I haven't seen one of those little fox collars in years with the heads but my Mom had one and church was loaded with them! I felt the same goary intrigue but know you've inspired me for another thread.;)

Thread Information