Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New ABO Master Exam

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

New ABO Master Exam

I was just wondering how many OptiBoarders have taken the ABO's new Advanced Certification exam that replaced the old Master Optician exam? Any comments on the content and level of the questions?

Best regards,
    Darryl

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I took the new exam as well as several other Master's a few years ago at the request of the ABO. I felt the original one I took was a little more difficult than the new.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ditto.

I took the original master exam as well. Then, during an ABOM item writing workshop I worked with a small team reviewing the ABO-AC (i.e. "new master exam"). We found it to be less focused on ophthalmic optics, with added business/refractometry material that did not seem to fit in.

I am a supporter of the abo master program and do not mean to sound negative. We should, however, bring back the original exam.

: )

my 0.02 worth...

Laurie

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Very Interesting

It's been so many years since I took any of them that I think there's been quite a few changes. So this points out to me that before I am working on any client's project that may include recommendations on certification I need to get up to speed. I wonder if I should retake the exams just to see if I'd be considered all that competent now??? That or have my good twin, Laurie help refresh me. I don't think I believe in a lot of business questions in the advanced exam, other than perhaps business ethics. I think they are two different areas that don't necessarily need mingled.

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I took the ABOA exam in April, and I studied materials given to me by other master opticians. I focused on the math, and think I did very well on that part of the exam. However, there were questions on the exam that I had no idea about.

One such example went along the lines of:
    'To be a manager, one must officially supervise:
    A: 1 full time employee
    B: 2 full time employees
    C: 1 full time and 1 part time employee
    D:2 part time employees

What the heck is that?

There were a lot of other questions that I thought were very random, and hard to actually study for, so I'm not expecting to have passed it, but hopefully I'll know enough to pass it the next time around.
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I did not take the "old" test but the current one is a very comprehensive look at opticianry as a total. The majority of it is optics related (you better have memorized all formulas) but it covers low vision, refractometry, lab processes, labor and management. It does convey that you are a "master" of your universe. I think it is just right. It is not easy to pass but when you do, you have a total mastery of all things optical.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I wholeheartedly disagree, and I am very saddened that the ABO has diluted the quality and significance of the examination (and, in doing so, the certification in general). Asking management questions on an exam meant to certify someone as a "Master in Ophthalmic Optics" is not only absurd, but obviously detracts from the number of questions that are actually relevant to the title.

None of these exams should ask questions pertaining to business management, since they do not assess your ability as an ophthalmic dispenser, but instead assess your ability to run a business (which few opticians do anyway). However, if the ABO feels that it must offer an exam with management questions, why on Earth would you use that same exam for the Master in Ophthalmic Optics certification?

Best regards,
    Darryl

post-scriptum,
    By the way, the correct answer to that question is E. 0 Employees. You don't have to supervise anyone to be a manager; you just have to manage something -- including finances, business affairs, people, inventory, etc.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master of Ophthalmic Optics

I agree with you Darrell! If is to be called the Msster of Ophthalmic Optics it should be an ophthalmic optics exam, and not be a measure other things that do not involve the topic It was done with good intentions, but should be changed back to the old exam. If it is to measure other knowledge we need to change the title appropriately.

Occupation
    I took the same exam and felt the same way. The business that is in it is not relevant to my trade period. I can run circles around anyone I know in the lab and perform miracles with frame and lenses but I can't pass the test because I don't know how many people makes me a manager. Thats definately 1 I got wrong.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How long do you have to have your ABO before you are eligible to take the exam? And is there an NCLE masters that you can get? I know there is an NCLE advanced cert..

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After the ABO, you have to be certified for one renewal period in order to sit for the ABO Advanced. Once you pass that, you can write the masters paper, and if/when accepted by the board, you become an ABO master.

The NCLE doesn't have a masters title, but they do have the NCLE Advanced. I believe you also have to be NCLE certified for one renewal period before sitting for that as well.
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Occupation
    I can understand why they put the business part in. The test is supposed to focus on the managing and running as well as ophthalmic optics, however; I think then the test should have been longer. The original content should have remained on the test as well as added a section on business. The fact that they took out good optics questions to fluff the test with business is crap. I took the test and the only thing I am worried about is the business questions.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The test is supposed to focus on the managing and running as well as ophthalmic optics,
    Harry, the certification is called Master in Ophthalmic Optics. No other skill is expressed or implied by that title. And why would the ABO ever need to make a test that focuses on managing and running a business, anyway? If you really must ask a bunch of questions that are irrelevant to ophthalmic optics and dispensing, at least keep the test separate from an advanced test in ophthalmic optics.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I hope I didn't come across the wrong way in my response; I just have a lot of strong feelings regarding this issue. I put a great deal of time and effort into obtaining the Master Certification, and I would rather not see it become just another valueless acronymn in opticianry. I think the ABO has done a great disservice to this program.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Don't get me wrong I understand why they have put the business section in there however I don't agree with it. Also if they were to add it that is not a horrible idea but from what I understand they took valid questions out and replaced them with the business questions. I just found out today I did not pass the test and guess wich section I scored below average in it was the business. I am just going to have to go back to the drawing board and try again so if any of you know of any good ophthalmic business books please let me know.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Certifications

Any certification whether it is a master in the field of optics or a licensed Real Estate sales person, should as a primary focus make sure that it deals in detail with the subject matter that is being certified.

The true purpose of such examines is to not only prove the knowledge of the person taking the examine, but to put the public on notice that the field of expertise they are expecting to be dealing in, is certified by an independant third party.

Subjects such as management questions may not be needed in all situations and could be optional, the real question would be if the areas needed to be examined are being tested properly and not replaced by non relevent topics.

From the consumers standpoint you would not want to know someone is certified by the appropriate independant third party, yet for dumbing down of the testing may not be fully qualified. This is especially true in something like prescription eyewear. The consumer go to the optical experts with little real knowledge of what is needed to correct their vision.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New Master's Exam

I'm new to the forum, so I'm late with this thread.
    I passed the Advanced Exam on my second try. I had to study management etc. in which I have little interest.
    I would have prefered to be tested on my knowledge of OPTICS!
    Love this forum!
    Nick

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello everyone. I would have to agree with Darryl and Old Nick. An ophthalmic optics test should be about ophthalmic optics. Also standards should not be diluted. I will probably take the advanced certification early next year and I don't want a freebee. I want my advanced certification to mean something.

Occupation
    I failed the test due to business managment not due to optics. I don't think I would have failed it if the business part wasn't on the test. I hate the fact that I failed, but I have also noticed how inefficient most optical businesses are today. If we as a whole don't wise up to the fact that this is a business we run then the walmarts and lenscrafters will surely dominate and squeeze us all out. I agree the business part of the test should not have replaced a single optical question, however I do find it valid.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Business Courses......

should be a part of the basic education and training of the typical Optician, not a part of the Masters Exam. The exam has less than 20% pass rates and is not easy, so if you plan on taking it, knowing how to edge a pretty pair of spectacles or how to re-string a semi-rimless mount will not get it. You really have to learn something to be successful in this exam.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Darryl

I understand the importance of the optics in our testing, however keep in mind to receive your Master certification there is a second step...Its called the paper..I know you know this, but sometimes we forget the entire process..I want the test to show my strenghts in optics, but as someone with almost 20 years as an optician I should know how to take care of my business also. Business management is as important as knowing all there is to know about crown glass and when you have a +25.00 lens what is the effective power at 36 degrees...Every program someone does for a regular masters includes business classes. Nurses, doctors, lawyers etc....IF we want the respect for holding a title of Master of Optics and be equal with other types of Master degrees then so be it

Christina

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Not a Degree.....

or anywhere CLOSE to a Masters Degree. A Masters Degree is usually 36+ semester hours of study (and some significantly more) in a specific area of study. For example, a Masters Degree in Psychology or other human service field would have no business courses. It trains Psychologists. The Masters Certificate is an examination plus a so-called "thesis"; a paper to describe the students synthesis of knowledge at a higher level than the basic knowledge of OPTICS. It was never intended to be a measure of business knowledge. If you want to prove your business acumen then get a degree in business. On top of that, most of the Masters papers are not written in a manner that would be acceptable to pass most undergraduate classes at a college or university and most are not sufficiently referenced. In other words, they would not suffice in an academic institution. I have served as a reviewer for many of them over the years. While the technical information is generally good, the formating and the overall papers are poor. Some of the current reviewers have never stepped foot in a college classeroom and grade them based on technical information alone, which limits them when making comparisons to an academic paper of any type. There are multiple exceptions, but I speak in generalities here. The Masters is no where close to a degree of any type.
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 07-20-2005 at 05:52 PM.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have read some of those papers and have seen spelling/grammatical errors. I do find them to be informative which is what they are all about, but I wish the field of opticianry had a BS route.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I understand the importance of the optics in our testing, however keep in mind to receive your Master certification there is a second step...Its called the paper..I know you know this, but sometimes we forget the entire process..I want the test to show my strenghts in optics, but as someone with almost 20 years as an optician I should know how to take care of my business also.
    My argument to this point is threefold:

1) Everything Warren said about the difference between a graduate degree and this 100 question examination. This is strictly a certification -- nothing more. And, No, medical boards do not include business management questions.

2) The vast majority of opticians do not own their own business. Secondly, business management is not a core competency of ophthalmic dispensing. Moreover, questions on business principles frequently fall outside the realm of objective scientific validation (See Harry's earlier example of an ABO "business" question). And how qualified are the people charged with writing these business questions for the ABO exam in the first place?

3) My certificate designates me as a Master in Ophthalmic Optics. It doesn't designate me as a Master in Business Management or a Master in All Things Related to Optical. These ABO examinations have been watered down enough over the years without intentionally detracting from their content level by replacing optical questions with completely irrelevant (and potentially obscure) management questions. The ABO is simply undermining the value of this certification.

Again, if the ABO feels that it is relevant to offer an examination in optical business principles -- whether they are actually qualified to do so or not -- they should administer it in the form of a separate test, as they do for contact lens dispensing.

The paper is a good idea for a variety of reasons, and is generally judged by the value of its content, with less emphasis placed upon the rules of English composition. Moreover, the purpose of the paper is to expound topics pertaining to dispensing and ophthalmic optics, which is entirely appropriate for this certification.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Masters Paper

I agree with Darrell that the idea of the paper is good, but if they are designed to compete on par with other disciplines, then those who do the writing need to be able to at least adequately write. Again, content is usually good (even better than good in some cases) but the papers need work.And we do no need folks with NO academic background designing and grading these kinds of things. We need to begin to grow a better educated crop of professionals for the future beginning with an adequate education.

Thread Information