Thread: Playing Doctor

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

The other day, we had a customer (let's call him Mr. Smith). He brought in two different Rx's, an old distance and a new bifocal one. He wanted to put the add power from the latter with the dist. power from the former. The retail assoc. told him sorry, the doctor has to prescribe it that way. So he says, "I'm DOCTOR Smith!" and proceeds to scribble the add power on the Rx form. All fine and good, except that Dr. Smith is an orthodontist.
    Is it kosher for just any MD to write a spectacle Rx, or did this guy have too much happy gas?

Blake

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

Certainly not here, although obviously that isn't necessarily true over there. But, (bizarre theory based on fiction coming up) on Frasier, Niles was allowed to write a repeat Rx for some allergy drugs, despite being a psychiatrist. So maybe it's different. Or maybe I should stop watching TV and go out into the real world, and then I can know things.
    Have you ever noticed though, the worst patients are the medical non-optical people? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but enough about me :)

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Thumbs down

Would you go to the opticians to have a tooth out :D I think not so tell the doc to see an optician first then come back with a proper rx.

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

According to the laws of Florida Chapt. 484.002--"...upon the written prescription of a medical doctor or optometrist...."
    The key is Medical Doctor, is your Orthodontist client a M.D.? A D.D.S. or D.M.D. is not a M.D..
    It may not be the smartest thing but any M.D. can write a spectacle or contact lens Rx.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Blake,

As weird as it is as long as he is an "MD" he can write his own RX .. I use to have an account years ago an optician who refracted in an GP office, as long as the GP was willing to sign off on the sheet then it was legal.
    The funniest part was I NEVER ever hardly had redo's and this guy really (optician) knew his stuff when it came to a simple refraction, sure is a LOT better then some of the so called techs I do work for in a couple of Ophthamoligists offices I do work for..one has a Dr. redo rate of 1 out of 4!!
    BTW he needs to show you his medical lic. :) ... and I would make sure he signed a release.

Jeff "optic's runs in circles..see it years ago and it's back again" Trail

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

I had a similar situation with a pediatrician. His contact lens RX (from an ophthalmologist) had expired and when I informed him of that he whipped out his own prescription pad and proceeded to write me a current RX. He was very nasty with me and since I had to order them I had time to check out the legalities.

I contacted the Virginia Medical board and was informed that although it wasn't illegal, it was unethical. Needless to say, there was nothing I could do. She did ask me to ask him when he picked up his contact lenses "If something should go wrong who would be liable for the fit of these contacts?" She then informed me to let him know that he would have to sue himself for malpractice.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You must understand that there is a small dwindling group in medicine (M.D.'s in specialties other than eye) who feel that the more commercial ophthalmologists' (i.e. those who advertise, fill their own Rx's, etc.) are giving them a bad name. Some such doctors won't see or speak to an ophthalmologist unless the need is desperate and medical.

Alas they are a few and dying breed.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

I was under the impression that it was at least legal. I mean, heck, lots of stuff's legal - doesn't make it right. But when I told that to the person who had dealt with him, she asked if that meant her gynecologist could write her a spec Rx. So I figured I'd drink from the fountain of knowledge that is Optiboard once again.

Blake

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it any different if an Ophthalmologist writes a script for any other ailment that has nothing to do with their specialty?

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Who among us hasn't accepted an Rx for a cold, runny nose, burn ointment, etc. from his frendly opthalmologist?

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Blake, I have seen this many times(the "I'M A DOCTOR" crap!) The key point here is his greater than thou attitude! If he is that all knowing and powerful tell him to go and grind his own lens!! I have often found that if you tell this kind of person to kiss your **** that it will at least make them step back long enough to say pleeeeeese. This may not politically correct, but at least it should help you or your staff to feel a little better about the treatment
    Paul

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blake,

Two weeks ago we ran into the same situation as you did. A doctor came in and wanted bifocals out of a DVO script. We told him we would need an Rx from his doctor; he pulled out a pen and wrote in his own add explaining he is his doctor. He was a General Practicioner. So we noted that the Rx was self prescribed by an non-opthalmic MD and noted that the 90-Day Rx warranty was voided and the Px was responsible for his own Rx.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My reasoning behind the liability issue:

For the last three months we have had this rush of glaucoma patients, diabetics, and cataract patients. What tore it was a Px who was in a few days before the GP. She had been having headaches, and dizzy spells and trouble with her vision. She went back to her optalmalogist for a re-exam. The Doc didn't like the list of symptoms so she took a closer look. The Doc found the Px had cancer. When she came in to our shop the Px only had sight in one eye. My family and the families of my friends have been ambushed by cancer; I have learned that there is no place for professional pride in preventative medicine.

This is the main reason I don't like those mail order and internet contact lens businesses. If a doctor writes an expiration date on an Rx, most opticians will not service that Rx and will recommend a new exam. I find it hard to believe those mail order companies are verifying expiration dates on Rx's.

Thread Information