Thread: Happy Eid-ul-Fitr

Bad address email on file

Smilie Happy Eid-ul-Fitr

Hello All,

Wishing a very happy Eid-ul-Fitr to all the Muslims and everyone visiting this board.

I count all the regulars on this board among my friends. Thank you for exchanging your views.

We are having public holidays for 2 days and I am off to Zanzibar Island (45 miles from Dar-Es-Salaam) for some great underwater adventures.

Best regards,

Dr.Shabbir Kapasi
    Consultant Optometrist

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shabbir,
    Happy Eid-ul-Fitr to you. What does Eid-ul-Fitr translate to in English?
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happy Eid-ul-Fitr Dr. Kapasi!

I wish you a safe and very terriffic trip! You will have to tell us about it when you get home - and don't forget the pictures!

sharks out there!

Dear Dpctor,

wish a very Happy Idd to You.Yes,tell us your storues when you'r back.Beware of hungry sharks outther inn indian ocean,may mistake you for thanksgiving turkey:D -joking
    Best wishes,Deepak

Thumbs up I'M BACK!

Hello,

Cindy Hamlin said:

Shabbir,

Cindy,
    Thank you for Eid wishes.It is difficult to literally translate Eid-ul-Fitr into English, but I think it means "joyous recurring occasion". It is an Arabic word derived from root of a-w-d, which appears in the Islamic holy book of Qur'an once meaning a joyous recurring (annual) occasion. Eid-ul-fitr marks end of the holy month of Ramadhan during which Muslims fast, pray, and rededicate themselves to the teachings of the Qur'an. (it was during this month the holy book Qur'an was revealed). Eid has a very beautiful significance. A certain percentage of earnings is donated to the less fortunate in terms of food, clothes and money. Eid is a happy time for Muslims. Many decorate their homes to celebrate this blessed holiday and invite and visit friends and loved ones. Big feasts are made for guests, and Muslims usually prepare trays of delicious sweets to be shared with neighbors and the local community over coffee and tea. Gifts of new clothes, toys, and money are given to children, and personal gifts are exchanged between loved ones. Phone calls are made to family and friends and colorful Eid cards are sent to wish Eid greetings. It is a joyous occasion, similar to Christmas and Hanukkah in its celebration with strong religious significance. The celebration of Eid-ul-Fitr lasts three days, although the main festivities occur on the first day.

Jo Said:
    Happy Eid-ul-Fitr Dr. Kapasi!
    I wish you a safe and very terriffic trip! You will have to tell us about it when you get home - and don't forget the pictures!

Jo & Deepak,
    Many thanks for Eid wishes.
    My trip to Zanzibar was fun and I enjoyed every minute of it. I won't be able to cover whole 3 days. Little bit is here:
    Day 1: started with a visit to the old quarter of Zanzibar known as Stone Town, and looks much the same today as it did two centuries ago, with its winding lanes, Arabian style stone houses with extravagant front doors, studded with brass and elaborately carved, a Zanzibar's old quarter where Sultan of Oman once ruled, followed by exploration of Jazani forest to experience some of rare flora & fauna. Jazani forest is home to last 800 red colobus monkeys, which are threatened with extinction. The red colobus monkeys of Zanzibar are very different from the other colobus monkeys in Africa as much for their patterned coat as their feeding habits. Monkeys were friendly with kids who used up a roll of camera film just photographing them. Before going to Jazani, we stopped outside Stone Town to see the house where Dr. David Livingstone (base for David Livingstone's expeditions into the unexplored African interior) once lived. He lived in that house just before he left, in 1866, on his last journey, setting out from Zanzibar to go up country. He returned to Zanzibar in a coffin. In the afternoon we drove to famous Zanzibar's Spice Farm about 25 KMS from "Stone Town". One can smell from distance scents of cloves, vanilla, cardamom, nutmeg in air. I purchased mint and lemon grass for home use, I love tea made of lemon grass.
    Later we drove to the Cathedral Church of Christ. This was built in 1877 on the site which until 1883 was occupied by the infamous slave market. There is a crucifix, made from the tree under which Livngstone's heart was buried. Outside in the grounds of the Church, there are statues of chained slaves which commemorates the slave trade. Life of slaves were so cheap, we were told, that a man would shoot at a slave just to check his rifle was working properly! Also we were told of custom of burying slaves alive in the walls of houses under construction in old Zanzibar. Skeletons were discovered in the foundations of the old Cable and Wireless building, erected on the site of the original slave market.
    Day was hot and humid day, and we were too hot to continue so we drove back to our hotel.
    In the evening, we decided to go for dinner at Forodhani Gardens, a open air park set on the waterfront where vendors sell fantastic seafood, meats kebabs, potato dishes, Indian breads, variety of juices etc. Sugar cane juice is most delicious and refreshing.

Day 2: visit to Prison Island now named 'Changu Island' where we had lunch. After lunch, went to a nearby sandbank for some swimming and snorkelling returning finally to the "Stone Town" when the sun began to sank.

Day 3: Shopping spree. Zanzibar is duty free port like Dubai. Departure for Dar by hydrofoil speed boat at 4.00 pm, arriving home 6.20 pm. Delayed 20 minutes for time spent on rescuing two fisherman spotted by boat's captain, who were struggling to keep their head above water.

I hope you all enjoyed little bit of my story. My kids spent 3 rolls of 36 exposures,all on them museums and animals.

Regards,
    Shabbir
    Last edited by Optom; 12-04-2003 at 06:42 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: I'M BACK!

Optom said:
    Hello,

Cindy Hamlin said:

Shabbir,

Cindy,
    Thank you for Eid wishes.It is difficult to literally translate Eid-ul-Fitr into English, but I think it means "joyous recurring occasion". It is an Arabic word derived from root of a-w-d, which appears in the Islamic holy book of Qur'an once meaning a joyous recurring (annual) occasion. Eid-ul-fitr marks end of the holy month of Ramadhan during which Muslims fast, pray, and rededicate themselves to the teachings of the Qur'an. (it was during this month the holy book Qur'an was revealed). Eid has a very beautiful significance. A certain percentage of earnings is donated to the less fortunate in terms of food, clothes and money. Eid is a happy time for Muslims. Many decorate their homes to celebrate this blessed holiday and invite and visit friends and loved ones. Big feasts are made for guests, and Muslims usually prepare trays of delicious sweets to be shared with neighbors and the local community over coffee and tea. Gifts of new clothes, toys, and money are given to children, and personal gifts are exchanged between loved ones. Phone calls are made to family and friends and colorful Eid cards are sent to wish Eid greetings. It is a joyous occasion, similar to Christmas and Hanukkah in its celebration with strong religious significance. The celebration of Eid-ul-Fitr lasts three days, although the main festivities occur on the first day.

Regards,
    Shabbir
    I love that
    "joyous recurring occasion"
    Now that is a great reason for a holiday! Do you celebrate Christmas, too? The kiddies must love the presents two months in a row!:D
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Hello Cindy,

We do celebrate Christmas. It is going to be 2 days of public holiday again (Christmas & Boxing Day) and for Kiddies December is their favorite month, festivals, gifts, holidays and so on.
    Cindy, Every year, I honor Jesus' birthday by getting involved in doing some kind of volunteer work. This year, with fellow Lions of my home Club, we have planned to install new swings and slides at a Childern's Hospital at the weekend. On the eve of the Christmas, we are planning to go to Leper's colony to cook and feed them, repair their furnitures, mosquito nets, replacing worn out electric bulbs and help them with many other things. On New Year day, we have arranged a party for street childern at a local Center. This way there is a heartfelt spirit of giving and receiving that has some real meaning behind it, and you are actually doing for others and by doing for others and loving each other, you are serving God.This is true spirit of Christmas.

Regards,

Shabbir

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optom said:
    Hello Cindy,

We do celebrate Christmas. It is going to be 2 days of public holiday again (Christmas & Boxing Day) and for Kiddies December is their favorite month, festivals, gifts, holidays and so on.
    Cindy, Every year, I honor Jesus' birthday by getting involved in doing some kind of volunteer work. This year, with fellow Lions of my home Club, we have planned to install new swings and slides at a Childern's Hospital at the weekend. On the eve of the Christmas, we are planning to go to Leper's colony to cook and feed them, repair their furnitures, mosquito nets, replacing worn out electric bulbs and help them with many other things. On New Year day, we have arranged a party for street childern at a local Center. This way there is a heartfelt spirit of giving and receiving that has some real meaning behind it, and you are actually doing for others and by doing for others and loving each other, you are serving God.This is true spirit of Christmas.

Regards,

Shabbir
    Shabbir,
    That is lovely. I think I might relocate!
    ~Cindy

Big Smile Relocate to Tanzania

You will be an invaluable asset to us;) Soyez la bienvenue.
    In the meantime,have a great weekend!:cheers:
    Rgd,
    Shabbir

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shabbir,

You never cease to amaze me. Your life is full and wonderful. You give so much, and I am so glad that you find time to also enjoy yourself.

I'm glad that you count me among your friends among the other optiboarders.

God bless you. Happy Eid-ul-Fitr and Merry Christmas.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Diane,
    You are nice and helpful person, I recognized this from day one when we met in Boston and became your good friend and will remain so till the last day. Diane, though you are thousands of miles away from me, you have always encouraged me in my work and appreciated it with kind words. So especial friend like you deserves especial thank you. A specially created Christmas card for you is sent your way. I hope you will like it.
    Regards,
    Shabbir
    :cheers:

Thread Information