Thread: OLA in Orlando Florida

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

OLA in Orlando Florida

Anyone here going to the OLA show in Orlando this weekend? I was at the Optic. show in Ft. Lauderdale and the only person from here I saw was John from Tri-city lab...just wondered if anyone else was hitting Orlando this weekend...I'll only get to go on Sat. but just was checking..

Jeff"gee I love to see the new stuff"Trail

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

OLA

Jeff

Since I am NOT going maybe you could make us a report on the OLA exhibition in the way of attendance at the exhibition after your return. Would be appreciated.

Bad address email on file

ola meet

Hi Jeff. Just wanted to say that i will be attending the OLA on Sat. It's a very nice place to have such an event. I am currently a student of Opticianry at HCC and I must brag about the teachers that I have. The best of the best!! Anyway many of us will be there. Hope you enjoy!

Occupation
    Well Jeff & Grace - there will be a few things to see if you like new technology.

Couple of other vendors with their own version of "free-form", not counting DAC, which has made news of late so everyone already knows about that one. Of course, Shnieder (sp) has been out there for several years.

PSI has a new CNC rimless drill which looks very good.

There are some AR coating units to see.

LTI has a real nice washing system connected to a backside coater.

Chris - I pay no attention to attendence so I can't help you there.
    J. R. Smith

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Grace Angel,

Keep bragging!!

It is a great school.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Grace,

I was in the very FIRST HCC class for opticians :) ...we were the "test" subjects, so to say... BUT I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to really learn the nuts and bolts and up and not just "enough" to pass the ABO (oh is that hard, NOT) and the NCLE..

Tell Laurie and Bill I said "hi"

JRS,

The Schneider was really cool but ..you have to put up your first born as a down payment!! ..sheesh I thought LOH Vpro was "expensive" DAC is a steal at the price they want.. might not be upto Schneiders "volume" but gee I still can afford to eat and have electricty with the DAC option :)
    I looked all over that place for the "spin AR coater" from Chemat Tech. and did not find them..were they there? I was interested in it and was trying to find other people who have purchased it ato get a run down on what it is really like but no cigar.. if anyone knows anyone who has bought it let me know and I can call them and get the scoop.. vid's and web sites are ok but I want real actual people NOT connected to the company and nothing to gain or lose to tell me the real deal..
    Satis was a nice system the SP-200 but still kind of expensive.. I love it when they say the "small" labs can afford it.. hmm they must mean "small" as in doing 700 jobs a day and a 100 AR's :)
    The 6EM the latest version of patternless edgers from National Optronics was pretty nifty..also seen Briots, was not to thrilled with the price, OK it does "drills" but for $37K? ..gee drills start to fade in a year or two, as we all know who have been around for a while fads come and go.. so now you have a 37K edger? ... Oh well
    I still think bang for your buck the "smart drill" is a lot less expensive than the CNC and if worked properly can really cranl out some jobs.. just my opinion though..
    Well that is what I got out of it, I didn't get to the show untill mid way through on Sat. and some people were already packing up..gee must not have been that great of a show, I don't remeber people doing that before so soon in the day.. I didn't get a chance to find anyone and shoot the breeze I had somethings I wanted to check on and in a limited time with it so close to the end..PLUS when I start seeing new toys I tend to zone out (according to my wife) :)

Anyone have some info on the coater from Chemat let me know..

Jeff "gee if I just had an xtra million I could have the lab of my dreams" Trail

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi Jeff,
    I was at the OLA Thursday and Friday.
    I had a late afternoon wedding and a noon football game to attend to on Saturday. ;-)
    I dont know about actual registration numbers but 3 classes I attended were standing room only with people lining the walls.(Free Form Why and How?, Continuous Flow In Line AR Coating and Optimizing your HC) The 4th class (OLA Legal Update) was at least 80% capacity.
    The Thursday and Friday Lunches were packed too.
    regards,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

OLA.............

Jim Schafer said:

I dont know about actual registration numbers but 3 classes I attended were standing room only with people lining the walls.

Continuous Flow In Line AR Coating and Optimizing your HC) The 4th class (OLA Legal Update) was at least 80% capacity.
    The Thursday and Friday Lunches were packed too.
    regards,
    Jim
    I would be interested in hearing, maybe from somebody that was exhibiting how the attendance was in the exhibition hall. Steady, busy or boring?

OLA

Glad to hear that your HCC Alumni Jeff!! Laurie was there at the OLA on Sat. I will tell her and Bill you send a hello. The show was small but nice. There was time to actually stop and talk to some of the vendors and stock up on some free goodies. SoftLight caught my eye with their new photochromic eyewear. I tried to get a demo frame but was informed that the labs will get some in introductory phase launch. Very cool to say the least. I also thought that Prio had a neat medical instrument to diagnose CVS, priced very affordable. The Dr's can make best use of their time with this device and increase 3rd pair sales for the Opticians. The price was great and it will pay for itself very quickly. The atmosphere of the resort was phenominal and the food and drink was plentiful. I am glad I attended. I thought the attendance was a good turn out.

Occupation
    Jeff,

Chemat Tech. did exhibt in OLA in Booth No. 701. Chemat has sold tens of "spin-on AR coater" already. One of labs who has purchased teh system and is willing to share information is Gulf State Optical Lab in New Orlean, LA.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Hello all! Newbie here, with some observations on the OLA.

At the risk of sounding like a "homer" I have to say this year's show was terrific. Lots of great seminars, interesting speakers, and some pretty good chow too! I know our booth was wall to wall people for the majority of the show, despite some fears that the proximity to Disney may make it tough to hold the crowd's attention.
    If you are unsure whether or not to attend next year, do yourself a favor and GO! I guarantee you will come away with added knowledge and insight, probably a few new friends in the biz, and maybe a new toy or two to make your life easier.

:cheers:

Thread Information