Thread: color vision confusion

OptiBoard Novice

color vision confusion

I am always looking to hear about cases of "color blndness" and the particular human factors problems that have been encountered, as well as substitute solutions. As the author of COPING WITH COLORBLINDESS which first appeared in 1997, and has gotten rave reviews, I am looking to write a followup volume. Current real life situations make the point far better than any other description. I myself have tried to change the name of this condition to CVC (or Color Vision Confusion), as the words color deficiency, blindness or ignorance have a very negative connotation and do not reflect the reality of the condition.

By the way, this book can be purchased from Amazon.com. Optometrists, opticians, and others who wish to sell it through their practice may get it at wholesale prices directly from me, but there are few cases of this print run left and the publisher has sold to another who is not carrying this book.

Either way, I would be happy to have new contacts. I am also available to speak on the topic of The Pitfalls and Visual Vocabulary of Inherited and Acquired Color Vision Confusion- as well as consult on how to make life a bit easier for those who have it since there is no cure for most cases.

Odeda Rosenthal

Bad address email on file

Post CVC

Hello Odeda,

I liked your new term "Colour Vision Confusion" as there is nothing like true colour blindness. I generally prefer to call "defective colour vision".

It is said around 4% of male and 2% of female population suffer from colour vision confusion,but in my own clinical experiences, I find both populations equally suffer at around 5%.I use Ishihara colour plates.Any idea of research going on this subject?

Regards,
    Optom

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: color vision confusion

Odeda Rosenthal said:
    I am always looking to hear about cases of "color blndness" and the particular human factors problems that have been encountered, as well as substitute solutions.
    Hello and welcome to OptiBoard! It is good to see your first post contain such an interesting topic!

Here are some cases posted on OptiBoard which involved real life situations. Perhaps you can even help add to the threads:I'm sure there may be more topics but these were a few that I could remember and find using Search.

I'm sure everyone would be glad to help.

Bad address email on file

its a small world

Hi Odeda! I recently joined optiboard and was very surprised when i correlated the book i recently checked out from the library as yours!! I am a student of opticianry and will be doing a report on "CVC" as you term it!! There is a student in my class who has color deficiency and i planned on making him a part of my report. I will begin reading your book here very shortly. I certainly can relate with your interest in this area. Low vision topics seem to stimulate my interest and i am thinking of specializing in this area. Currently i am a full time student and work part time in retail eyeglass sales. I wish you the best with the second book and feel free to contact me back. Maybe the guy in my class would be interested in chatting with you. Thanks for your wisdom. Sincerely, Grace Angel (student of opticianry at renowned HCC in Tampa, Florida)

Thread Information