Thread: Major medical insurances

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Major medical insurances

For the past 4 month I was spending 2-3 hours a day to put my Optometrist on the panel with major medical insurances.
    I realised that some of the panels are closed for good, some of the insurances do NOT accept aTPA certified Optometrist to perform medical exams and subcontract their routine care to a third party like Davis, VSP, Block and others for a verrrrry redused rate, some send you an application and you never get an answer from them. Amazingly enough some will put you on the panel and even pay you if you can fill out the 1500 form correctly.
    I am wondering if we can create a tread or forum where we can post the contact #s and share the results, news and progres in this subject.

So far i was able to get my doc on GHI, HIP, Oxford, Multiplan, and a few of smaller ones.

Any interest?
    Last edited by LENNY; 10-15-2003 at 10:00 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lenny,

We have a list of the major contact numbers in our area; I'll post them tomorrow.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Arrow

Lenny,

Our O.D is on alot of major medical. We take Blue Cros Blue Sheild, Humana Hmo, Prucare, UHC, NHIC.

Most folks on these plans are allowed one "wellness" exam annually. Texas just passed a new law where therapuetics can now be billed on major medical! It's about time!

To get on panels, my suggestion would be to contact the provider services for such plans and ask for a credentialing packet.

Good Luck!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Thread Information