Thread: Please consider Organ Donation

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Please consider Organ Donation

Yes, I know I did this in General Discussion as well. Also think of the National Bone Marrow Registry. Ongoing platelet program etc. So many ways exist to contribute to life or create a victory from death. Let's start a discussion for those that aren't sure or don't know how.

And smile at a stranger and make new friends. In this Elizabeth and all of us live on.:)

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Thumbs up

Have been a on the donors list since i was 18 for both organs and bone marrow. I was lucky enough to be called for 2nd samples on my bone marrow as i was a near match to someone in need, but i was not quite near enough...
    If you do decide to take the organ donor route please talk it over with your loved ones as here in the UK despite you carrying a donor card and being on a database for doing so it is still up to them to say YES...
    So they have to agree to it despite what you want....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's all on my drivers license. My entire family knows that there isn't a part of me that need to be buried, if it can be used by someone here on "good old Earth".

John, good to point out live donations. Blood and platelets are things that most of us can donate while we are alive. I even looked into giving a part of my liver to my Dad before he died last spring, but he wasn't in good enough shape to withstand the surgery. Live organ donations such as partial liver and kidney are certainly possible. The liver regenerates, so that's not even much of a problem. Just some thoughts.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Cord Blood Donation

Likewise, if you or anyone in your family are going to have a baby in the future, consider donating the cord blood. Cord blood contains valuable stem cells which can be used for research or to help fight a dizzying array of diseases . I was amazed at the infreqency people donate cord blood. The OBs were completely unfamiliar with the procedure (although a very simple one) and we spoke with at least six during the course of pregnancy. We contacted the nearest National Marrow Donor Program blood bank and they sent us a kit with instructions. We discussed it with the OB and the delivery nurse before delivering. They read the instructions and perfomed the collection after delivery. I immediately contacted the blood bank and they sent a courier to pick up the donation ...that was it. I'm still amazed this isn't a standard option provided to delivering mothers by hospitals.

There are also options to bank your own cord blood for possible future needs, but its very expensive and made much more sense to us to donate it to someone that needs it now.

Keith

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have been an organ donor since my first driver's license. That was at 16 years. I also feel that anything I have that can be used, be used!

I will however sign up for the marrow donor programs.

Let's not forget the other way we can give back-GIVE BLOOD!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

In Memory Of Elizabeth and Because It's Right

I realize there are religious and personal beliefs that some people cannot reconcile with organ or blood donations. However, for those who are willing to consider and several of you brought up topics I hadn't even stopped to realize, here are a few helpful websites I found:

www.organdonor.gov
    This site contains many useful links as well and one particularly alarming statistic. 60 percent of Americans are in a heath condition favorable to donating blood yet only 5 percent do.

www.livingorgandonor.org addresses live donation of Kidney, Lung and Liver

http://www.bmdw.org addresses blood marrow and cord blood donations.

There are numerous other sites internationally and both the American and International Red Cross offer good information.

Thread Information