Thread: PRIZM?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

TODAY WAS NOT MY DAY
    I GOT RX FROM THE LOCAL DOCTOR
    OD +12.00-2.00*180 6BI
    OS BALANCE
    IS IT ME OR THIS DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE?

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question

When you say OD and OS which is right and which is left as for the rest yes its ok :O
    assuming od is right
    RE.
    sphere = +12.00
    cyl = -2.00
    axis = 180
    prism = 6.0 base in
    LE
    make as a balance maybe like
    sphere = +12.00
    just as easy as it gets.

Dont know about "plastic" but its a piece of cake in glass in 60 m/m or 65 m/m but dont forget the balance for the back of the head :d

Ps. See the key on you keyboard that says caps lock please knock it off and use lower case its easier to read. Thank you, and have a nice day now :D

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I would call the doctor on this one. I wonder if that is what they want, can you split the prism.

Bill

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

Interesting problem ! (and one I will use the spell checker for) The balance lens would indicate no effective vision in that eye therefore diplopia is ruled out. What I think what the Dr is trying to correct is exophoria (spellchecker may not have that one).6 degrees might have that effect.By all means call the doctor, it will notify him that you are heads up.Good luck and don't forget to post what the doctor says, I am curious from the Cape.Please note spell checker didn't have either one so forgive any errors.

------------------
    Harry J

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

First Prism is spelled with a "s" not a "z".
    The Rx looks pretty straight forward. Its not our job to guess at a diagnosis for this Rx. Doubtful that a Dr. prescribed that amount of prism for no reason.Talking with the Dr. can go either way. Either he'll think your heads up or he'll wonder why you just don't fill it as written. Regarding a previous reply of splitting the prism--the other eye calls for a balance, so you can presume that there is either limited vision or no vision in that eye. You can't split the prism giving half of it to a blind or a close to blind eye, it'll accomplish nothing. All of the prism in this case has to be given to the Rx'd eye, not the balance eye.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    When edging the lens, decenter it an extra 2mm in.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

While I agree that it is not the job of an optician to guess at a diagnosis, some knowdedge of the problem is necessary to avoid making a needless error.Occasionally in the heat of the moment some things get miswritten.I've never had a problem calling a doctor for some clarification on an Rx.Take the case of the Rx which was written with 3 degrees Prism base up OU.Would you call the doctor, or would you fill it as written? I suppose it would depend on how doctors changes are handled, but me, I'll take a chance with the doctor.
    Regards from the Cape

------------------
    Harry J

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Let's face it, it's going to look gross whatever you do :) You do need to leave the prism where it is, though.
    For John and I, where did OD and OS come from? Here we call them R and L. I'll let you guess what that stands for :)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

I agree. Verify the Rx with the prescribing doctor. I've had a couple of cases where the doc admitted that he wrote it because it was always there. Didn't trial frame it, didn't check it with the phoroptor. It never hurts to let the prescribing doctor know your're paying attention...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maria,
    Its been a long time since Latin III but I'll try.Ocular Dexter for Right
    Ocluar Sinister for Left.
    I KNOW I'm never going to find that in the spell checker so forgive any spelling errors.Back in olden times if one were right handed he/she would have been said to be dextreous.One who was left handed was said to be sinister because he/she could be shaking hands with the right, and stabbing with the left at the same time.I am left handed but not sinister.Some would also say that I am not dextreous either.
    Did you finally get the article ? :)

------------------
    Harry J
    Just got same reply as before so I am editing to give you the URL
    http://www.Fredoneverything.net/index.html

just look for the title of the article :)

[This message has been edited by hcjilson (edited 01-30-2001).]

Bad address email on file

Question

OD=Ocular Dexter=Right Eye
    OS=Ocular Sinister=Left Eye
    OU=Ocular Unister=Both Eyes
    Right eye is aphakic.Left eye is balance.One should call prescribing doctor to find out if left eye has immature cataract that may require balance lens post operatively.The type of surgery performed on this patient seems be of intra-capsular extraction procedure which is less commonly done now a days.Phaco-emulsification is procedure of choice.But it all depends on eye surgeon.
    When it comes to prisms;it is generally prescribed to correct binocular vision anomalies.Do we prescribe prism for monocular vision? I will this question for the room to answer.I would add that binocular vision means normal fusing stereoscopic vision in both eyes.

Bad address email on file

MARIA
    You will get this type of questions in your viva section 2(Prescription Analysis)of your final ABDO practical examinations.
    Of 4 final practical sections of ABDO exams,this viva section 2 is rated most difficult by candidates.
    You may be further asked on type of lens you would select for this patient giving reasons why and about what balance means etc.So keep your eye glued on this topic.
    Also get well versed on both BS and EN(norme european)standards.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Thanks for the pointers. You're assuming I get through practical one though :)
    My hand-neutralising leaves a lot to be desired, mostly due to the fact that I can't hold two trial lenses and a pair of specs with one hand, whilst drawing on them with the other. I also can't keep one eye closed for 15 mins, but I'm planning to solve that by using the patch off the fields machine ;)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Been in this business 40+ years and have never seen a reason to use prism when only one eye was capable of vision. Also O.U. is Ocular Unison.

May be some reason for prism when only one eye is in the system but I can't immagine what it would be.

What a patient needs with an Rx like this is a contact lens and glasses only to find the contact with.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

I thought OU was latin meaning OCULAR UNITI. Perhaps its time for the Meister.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

And I was taught that it was for:

Ocular Uterque

Bring out the Meister!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hi, Guys . . .
    When I went to optical college, which was just slightly after they learned to measure the speed of light on the evolutionary scale, OD meant Oculus dextra, OS meant Oculus sinistra, and OU meant Oculus ultra.

That and a dime would get you to the train station in Manhattan.

As for the juhongo Rx . . . .
    I'd call the doctor and ask if he wished to have a total of 12 prism diopters base in. The balance part of the Rx to my experience usually relates to the inability of the eye to correct appropriately for acuity reasons, but not necessarily for convergence reasons.

G'Day Mates . .

PS. Across the pond "s" often replaces our "z" as in "organisation" vs. "organization"

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

specs13
    I know you cannot split prism with a balance lens. That was the point of the comment. Doctors do make mistakes and, if I am going to pay for the remake, I will call on a questionable Rx.

Bill

OptiBoard Apprentice

OD - oculus dexter (right)
    OS - oculus sinister (left)
    OU - oculus uterque (both)

Uniocular prism may sometimes be used for cosmetic purposes, but 6BI is unlikely in this case.

RP

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Originally posted by RP:
    OD - oculus dexter (right)
    OS - oculus sinister (left)
    OU - oculus uterque (both)

Uniocular prism may sometimes be used for cosmetic purposes, but 6BI is unlikely in this case.

RP
    Salve, omnes!

I am reminded of the motto of my 7th grade Latin class: Da dextram misero!

The winner is... RP!

As far as the prism question is concerned, I would think, yes, it is largely cosmetic, but there would be little point to small amounts of prism for this purpose, so six diopters seems reasonable to me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All of the posted answers could be correct for OD, OS, and OU.

OD = Ocular Dexter or Oculus Dexter
    OS = Ocular Sinister or Oculus Sinister
    OU = Ocular Uniti or Ocular Uterque, or Oculi Uterque

From Latin the O in each refers to Oculus as opposed to Ocular.

As far as the Rx is concerned, I would agree that you should consult with the doctor, but let's take a stab at it as well.

With the Rx power, it could be an aphakic eye or just a very hyperopic eye with moderate astigmatism. The amount of prism could indicate a muscle imbalance correction, and would have nothing to do with the balance Rx in the opposite eye. It would merely straighten the eye as opposed to have it turned away from the normal. Remember that with Base In prism, light is bent toward the base, which is in and the image is displaced toward the apex, which is out. This could indicate Esotropia, which is sometimes seen in hypermetropia.

:)
    Diane

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs down

Originally posted by Diane:
    All of the posted answers could be correct for OD, OS, and OU.
    Not to pick nits - OK, I will - these abbreviations are from the Latin, so I don't see how the English "ocular" could be considered correct. Nor is "uniti" a Latin form. Is it some other language?

You do correctly form the plural, "oculi uterque", which I missed in RP's post.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by shanbaum:
    Not to pick nits - OK, I will - these abbreviations are from the Latin, so I don't see how the English "ocular" could be considered correct. Nor is "uniti" a Latin form. Is it some other language?

You do correctly form the plural, "oculi uterque", which I missed in RP's post.

Actually, nit pick. That's what will make this a learning environment. I love it.

Although, originally, the terms were from Latin, they have evolved beyond that....therefore, my comment that these others could (note could) be correct. However, the absolute correct terms were mine, that identifies them from the correct Latin translations.

This is what this thread should be about. Ideas shared.

Diane

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OK
    That's it.
    I've had it . . .
    You're all a bunch of geniuses.
    Here's the final word . . . .
    No more discussion . . .

Sempre Fidelis
    E Pluribus Unum
    Veni Vidi Vici
    Ars Gracia Artis
    Ich hub dir im bud!

And always remember . . .
    bagels with sesame seeds are natures perfect food!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I was kind of surprised that no one mentioned Greek from which the Latin was derived.I'd rather not go into it at this time because my greek is more than a little rusty :)
    Best from the Cape where it is almost 50 today :)

------------------
    Harry J

Thread Information