Thread: Isabel...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Isabel...

We're still here. We were incredibly lucky this time. We didn't lose power and only lost water for about a day. No real damage to speak of, just part of a fence and a lot of small branches everywhere. My neighborhood wasn't quite as fortunate, power out for a couple of days and lots of tree damage.

How about the other 'Boarders in NC, VA, MD, DC and DE? Everyone ok?

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We were lucky not to end up in the direct path of Isabel but the winds made the power go on and off a couple of times here.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Here in PA we got the equivalent of an average summer storm.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was speaking to my former Brother in Law last evening. He lives in Burtonsville, Md., just north on DC. THey were still without power as of 10:00pm Sunday evening.
    What can I say, Karma is a b...h! He use to kid me about moving from DC to Florida because of the hurricanes...lol
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In these parts the wind gusted to about 25-30 mph at times. Although she did manage to kick up some pretty big waves.....12-18 ft out in south facing waters and 8-10 ft waves (breakers) on shore.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I didn't feel a thing.....

while I was in San Diego!:D :D :D
    hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I just talked to my mother-in-law who lives in Newport News, she is still without electricity and it looks like it will be Thursday before it comes back on. She lost a few tree limbs but no other damage.

My sister-in-law who lives in Midlothian had a tree come down on top of the car. It was a state owned car.

All of the family came through just fine.

Jerry

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I used to live in Newport News!

My in-laws have a beach house in Nags head. Homes on either side condemned and the pier 100yds from their home destroyed. The 15' dune between their house and the beach ...gone. Most of the sand from the dune now under the house and covering the road and driveway. Looks as if their home was spared from major damage however.

-K

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have any of you guy's thought of making some extra cash to help with the losses caused by Isabel?

Extra Cash

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Perhaps I should be standing outside the Capitol downtown with a bunch of baggies. I could be rich!

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just got my power restored tonight at 5pm (the 23rd). Lost power on the 19th at 5:30. So that is 5 long days and longer, darker nights. I didn't know that I could lust for a hot shower! I am waiting for the water to heat up now and I am going to drain the tank!:D It will be like the Herbal Essence commercials ;) I am sure!

We were very fortunate. Not trees down just limbs and tree bits everywhere. In the neighborhood (we have lots of large-tall-oak trees) there were lots of them on top of houses! One house at the end of the street has 6 large ones on top of it! You can't see the house for the trees!

Most houses up the street have the tell tale marks of damage. Either holes in the roof, collapsed carports, or the blue tarps to cover the holes. We had a storm last night and a tornado touched down west of Richmond and crossed through North Richmond. We only had rain and quite a bit of it!

We were really fortunate with the 70mph winds with gusts of up to 100mph. The eye passed over us. It was scary in the dark listening to the wind and hearing the sound of popping and crashing and things hitting the house. I even heard what I later found was the sound of the second tree crashing on top of my landlord's house across the street. I helped him clean up the sheet rock, insulation and rafters out of his spare bedroom. What a mess! He was sleeping in the room next to it and was unhurt! Thank God.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy Canty said:
    Perhaps I should be standing outside the Capitol downtown with a bunch of baggies. I could be rich!
    :D Good one Judy!!! :D

Bad address email on file Suzy W's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's good to hear that everyone came through the storm so well.
    Thanks goodness for no hurt people.
    Suzy:D

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

An Update 10 Days Later

Here is the latest outage map from VA Power:

http://www.dom.com/news/outage_map.jsp

It is 10 days later and pockets of neighborhoods are still without power. One area, New Kent Co., has to be rebuilt, not restored. I got my power back on the 23rd, but one street on our block is still without power. I visited a town called Hopewell, whose water plant was whiped out in a storm surge, yesterday and there were long lines at the local Red Cross station for food and water. The line went around the block!

Virginia Power is under fire once again for the length of the restoration. The Governor ordered them to give estimated dates to the customers still without power when they call for info. On the news they said 90% by the 5th of October. It is really sad.

You take power for granted until you don't have it. I am proud of my fellow Virginians as they are pitching in to help those that have no power. There was a story on the news last night about a neighbor that got power and took their generator to the house of someone without it. It is really heartwarming to hear the stories.

So it is 10 days later, but some are still living it!

Here are some articles and pictures of the damage:

http://www.dom.com/news/images/isabel/central_05.jpg

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/talla...al/6814920.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/hurr...8-glance_x.htm

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...1404-7906r.htm

http://www.sunspot.net/news/weather/...home-headlines
    Last edited by Cindy Hamlin; 09-27-2003 at 10:27 AM.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    My wife talked to her mother yesterday and she is still with out power. She is 76 and lives alone. A real trooper she isn't going to leave her house.

Jerry

Thread Information