Thread: If you do not press one now we will inform your patient that you refuse to comply....

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If you do not press one now we will inform your patient that you refuse to comply....

Every morning upon returning to the office I find that my answering machine was not qualified to comply with 1800-CONTACTS request to verify the prescription information. Therefore because my answering machine failed to press 1 they will assume the prescription is correct and proceed accordingly.
    I keep explaining to my answering machine that it is under obligation to get up and check the files to make sure the prescription is accurate. If it does not, then 1800-CONTACTS might fill a 5 year old Rx without hesitation. But alas, my answering machine just stares at me with as much confusion as a first year apprentice. I have warned it that if this unprofessional behavior continues that I will have to hire a newer fancier model that can performs the duties 1800-CONTACTS demands from answering machines across America. His excuse is always the same. My machine claims that he is sleeping when 1800-CONTACTS calls at 3:00AM demanding that he rummage through the doctors files making sure the prescription is accurate in every detail. I believe that I will have to council my answering machine tommorrow and give him 30 days to see the error of his bad judgement.:hammer:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If you do not press one...

Harry,

I've had the same experience with my answering machine. The last call, just the other day, was placed at 7:28 AM EST. Who, in the United States, did they expect to answer at that hour.

The real trip is trying to speak to someone at 1-800-CL to find out whose Rx they so badly need before sunrise.

I don't mind giving them a valid CL Rx for a patient, but it seems like they set up a system in order to tell MY patients how un-cooperative I am.

If anyone knows how to get 1-800-CL to call during normal hours I'd love to hear it.

Rich

Bad address email on file
    Rich,
    We USED to get 1-800 automated calls during business hours, but the problem with those calls was the robot voice would spell everything out (patient name, CL mfr, brand, lens power, BC, diam), and spell so quickly, that if you didn't have pen and paper at your finger tips you would miss something. Even when we DID have pen and paper ready, we would have to press the button to repeat, and would have to have it repeat several times, before we got down the message. It's obvious 1-800 was doing their best to make it difficult for practitioners to comply.

And after all that malarky with the automated call, it usually would be either:
    1. not a patient of ours
    2. a patient with an expired Rx.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It doesn't matter PAW. We've tried to Press a button to reply and the automated service never seems to work anyway.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry

We have also had the same problem.... we fax then this letter pasted below EVERYTIME they call us for an automated request. It has slowed the activity somewhat, although not completely!

:o

To: 1-800-CONTACTS

Please discontinue automated telephone requests for release of contact lens prescription information to the office telephone numbers listed above. This office does not have adequate time or resources to respond to automated telephone requests and therefore will no longer respond to such.

Please stop faxing multiple requests for release of contact lens prescription information. Please do not fax individual requests more than 1 (one) time.

We will respond to your fax requests via mail or facsimile as soon as possible.

Please note: we cannot release or authorize prescriptions that are expired.

Your attention to this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1-800-contacts filled a Ciba Night and Day extended wear Rx for a patient where the Dr. had never even written the Rx. She just happened to remember her powers and called it in.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can call her and wish her a GOOD LUCK with those lenses.
    I think if they are not properly fitted you can have a LOT of FUN

hippa regulations

We are concerned about releasing any info to anyone without expressed written consent from the pt with all the new hippa regs. 1-800 contacts assures us that confirming the rx doesn't violate the regs. any thoughts?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are not a "precriber" you don't have to give them anything.

If you are you can require a release.

You can also sent thier ____ faxes back with a note, "not released."

Maybe even the "do not call list" will kill them.

Chip

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hippa allows.......

Mitchell,

The gospel according to Hippa is that anything being used to treat the patient can be released without the necessity of getting a signed release. It is OK to transmit Rx's

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Have you also noticed that they give you 8 "business" hours to reply to their faxes, but no where on the fax is a time or date. My business hours or theirs? Monday mornings there are usually one or more at the fax from who knows when. We are an 3 O's practice so we do require a release even when giving a cl rx to the pt. I've been wriitng INVALID on these faxes..as noted above most are expired or have never been seen in our offices for cls. Last week I received 3 faxes for the same guy one for acuvues. one for biomedics and one for focus. Guess he was going down the menu trying for anything. One of our offices hangs up when they get the automated system. Do you think they fill those scripts?

Thread Information