I am a retired army optician with 22 years in the field and 3 years in opthtalmology.

In my years as an optician. I have attend the United States Army Medical Equipment and Optical School. In this course, I learned optical therory and all phases of optical fabricaton. I have the ability to figure curves and do lay out without the aide of computer programs. I also can hand rock in curves and take down a lens on the hand stone to fit the frame. Yes, in the Army we did not have software to figure a ticket for surface. I did all calculations for surface on a calculator. I also did speciality lenses to include cataract lens, high plus and minus, slab-off. I have worked only in wholesale lab envirnoments. These labs have daily production fron 500 to 2000 pairs per day. I have worked with most software programs and have worked with the following equipment. LOH, Greber-coburn, Scanform, Santinelli systems. I started on the 309b generator and the Mark 4 edger. I have experience in AR coating also.

In my brief career in opthtalmology. I have had the opportunity to learn from one of the best cataract surgeons in my region. I can do most diagnostic testing to include, visual fields, GDX/LCT, A/B scans, IOL calucations, Lasik work-up, retinal photography. I can manual refract and also with the EPIC. I can scribe with doctors. I have done set-up and assisted in minor procedures such as removal of papillomas and plug insertation. I have the ability to keep the schedule on track as we saw 50 to 60 patients per day. I understand most eye conditions and have the ability to explain what they are and what procedures are needed to correct them. I have worked with cataracts and glacoma. I have seen everything from a simple case of conjunctivitis to a complete blow out of the eye. The practice I worked with had 8 MDs and 10 ODs.

I am not ABO certified as in the Army it was not required. If there are any openings , please contact me.

Thank you,
Mark