Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recycling...

OptiBoard Professional Eddie G's's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Recycling...

What should we do with our old POL's and DEMO lenses???

I have garbage bags full of these things and I feel guilty throwing them out!

Does anyone recycle these or should I just keep them for another 10 more years until someone does???

Thanks,
    Eddie G's

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Re: Recycling...

Eddie G's said:
    What should we do with our old POL's and DEMO lenses???

I have garbage bags full of these things and I feel guilty throwing them out!

Does anyone recycle these or should I just keep them for another 10 more years until someone does???

Thanks,
    Eddie G's

Send them back to the manufacturers

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    Patient's Own Lenses -- get dispensed back to the customer (I tell them it's important for them to keep them until they can really make sure the new ones work well). It's helps with troubleshooting if I need to see the lenses later...and .... they can't complain that I didn't give them back to them!!!! (have you ever had someone complain about that? I have! Oy!)

Hmmm...don't know if I should share this idea...but .... if you have an engraver....you can engrave patterns on the lenses (haven't tried demo lenses) and then tint them....drill a hole in them....tie with some fishing line...and then...you have all the Christmas Tree ornaments you would ever need or want! I didn't think of this but one of my creative co-workers did this! They look really cool....they do! How about a windchime? (Martha Stewart would if she was in optics)

Seriously, does the Lion's club take just "lenses only" ? just a thought....

Off to drink more coffee now....

karen

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Most of the time we are popping out perfectly good polarized lenses to put a sun RX into the frame. These lenses get cut down and put into value frames which is used as a minnimal charge perk option for contact patients.

I also have made it a practice to hand back all patients own lenses when they use their own frame.

Don't see much reason to hold onto demo lenses.

I send used eyewear to an organition that reuse them in third world countries and they informed me lenses only are discarded.

Bad address email on file
    PAkev said, "Most of the time we are popping out perfectly good polarized lenses to put a sun RX into the frame. These lenses get cut down and put into value frames which is used as a minnimal charge perk option for contact patients."

Just be aware of this...once we had a patient who's Rx sunglass frame broke and we returned it for credit under warranty. The frame company (I think it was Lux) only gave us partial credit because we didn't return the lenses that came with the original sunglasses.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    optigoddess said:
    Hmmm...don't know if I should share this idea...but .... if you have an engraver....you can engrave patterns on the lenses (haven't tried demo lenses) and then tint them....drill a hole in them....tie with some fishing line...and then...you have all the Christmas Tree ornaments you would ever need or want! I didn't think of this but one of my creative co-workers did this! They look really cool....they do! How about a windchime? (Martha Stewart would if she was in optics)
    Actually, the demos work great if you insert an image (either a cut out from a card, wrapping paper or computer printed image) between them and glue the edges together, drill and you have another ornament.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Real smart dispensers keep demo lenses in the patient's record (old lenses too if the demo's are not in there.) Then if the patient has a new Rx and you use an outside lab for your work, you have the demo lens to send in for exact size and shape while the new lenses are being made and the patient need only come in for insertion in the frame when ready.

Chip

Thanks, Chip! We just got smarter today!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Used lenses cannot be used in the US, Same with used glasses. They are (the complete pairs) are sent to 3rd world countries through the various programs like Lion's Clubs and VOSH.

The Lion's Clubs have their own program where needy US residents may obtain NEW prescription glasses. According to the Lions, they only want complete pairs. Pitch the lenses only. They don't want to try and match frames to the lenses.

Bob V.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bob V:

Used frames cannot be used? I was unaware of this. If someone comes in with a frame purchased in a flea market circa 1930, I can't put lenses in it for them. They can't have thier Rx in Grandma's frame? Please let me know which of our mirrad regulations of the Federalies I am violating now.

Chip

Yikes, I guess we're afoul of the law too. We have a patient who likes to buy "antique" glasses (complete with cable temple) at estate sales. We Rx them for him and he's happy as a clam.

I believe what is being described is that used, complete eyeglasses cannot be distributed to the needy in the United States.

However, those complete pair of glasses can be gathered by groups such as Lions etc and those are distributed in 3rd world countries.

I do not interpret the post to be saying that we can not re-use a patients existing frame for new lenses (or using an antique frame, etc).

I'm not sure if anyone is referring to used/worn frames being "used" to sell to the public (like a returned product).

At least, that is my interpretation.

Karen

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Chip said, "Real smart dispensers keep demo lenses in the patient's record (old lenses too if the demo's are not in there.) Then if the patient has a new Rx and you use an outside lab for your work, you have the demo lens to send in for exact size and shape while the new lenses are being made and the patient need only come in for insertion in the frame when ready."
    I like the idea, but keep an accurate c-size of the lenses that fit the patient's frame. The demo lenses are not good for sizing.
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Occupation

Garbage ..............................

old lenses from patients frames should be returned to patient.........................or into garbage or the re-cycle box

old un -usable demo lenses should go into garbage or the re-cycle box.................

It looks like this discussion has extended into general interest and maybe should be continued for a while.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How do you recycle the GOOP...

See attachment on POST below.

Do you scrape off that GUNK off the lenses and recycle that to a GEAR OIL manufacturer??? LOL

What is the proper word for this paste-like growth anyways?

But Seriously, I'm surprised that there is NO recycling program for lenses atleast. I find that only 1 in 200 want their POL's back!
    I guess I'll hold on to them for another 10 more years.
    Maybe I should look into a recycling program :idea:

Eddie G's
    Last edited by Eddie G's; 09-12-2003 at 11:06 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's the picture / attachment...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gunk lenses3.jpg  

Occupation
    Perhaps you can put all the polycarb lenses aside for a few years.

When you think you have enough sew two white lab coats together around all the edges leaving a little opening at the top. Then stuff as many polycarb lenses as possible into the opening and sew opening closed to wear as your own personal bullet proof vest.:idea: :idea:

Then whenever those suspicious looking patients come in around closing time you can run into the lab to put on your optically correct protection.

BTW, you might want to throw all those lenses in a big ole bucket of Lysol first otherwise the breeding bacteria and smell of your lab coat may kill you before anything else does.

Just make sure that you warn your wife when she goes to wash the jacket that all than noise does not necessarily mean she needs a new washing machine and/or dryer.
    Last edited by PAkev; 09-12-2003 at 11:54 AM.

Bad address email on file Suzy W's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My own bullet proof vest? I like that idea:D

Suzy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eddie G's said:
    Here's the picture / attachment...
    Eddie,

Looks like nicotine and face cheese to me.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Sometimes, we will take discarded patients lenses, along with frames that get donated to our Gift of Sight program and edge the lenses to fit the frame - that way, we are getting more glasses into the program!

We don't have a lot of time for it but I suppose every pair helps.

Karen

Occupation

Eddie, Looks like nicotine and face cheese to me.

If you would have removed the hardcoat it would have looked less than face cheese and like a new lens again

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    This is interesting to me as I am mainly from a plastics processing background. I have an interest in the field of recycling and i must say that i never thought of lenses as a market.

On average how many lenses would the average optician have to throw away a week/month/year??

I'd imagine they are quite easily recycled and polycarbonate is a very expensive material.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Recycling Polycarbonate.............

Quote Originally Posted by gunningm2 View Post

This is interesting to me as I am mainly from a plastics processing background. I have an interest in the field of recycling and i must say that i never thought of lenses as a market.

On average how many lenses would the average optician have to throw away a week/month/year??

I'd imagine they are quite easily recycled and polycarbonate is a very expensive material.
    In the old days opticians used to collect old gold filled frames and every years would send them to gold recycled and got some $ 15.00 for a couple of pounds of frames.

These days old frames including lenses are given to several organizations that distribute them in 3rd or 4rth world countries that can not afford the cost of glasses.

A pair of polycarbonate lenses in a standard power range contains not much weight and you probably would have to wait years to make some money with old lenses. The manufacturers might more rejects but for sure already have their sources for recycling.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We collect them with the plastic bags we get frames in. Then we put them in with our plastic recycle.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation

Recycling Optical Supplies

As an avid Treehugger- we have a whole category on recycling optical supplies- including reusing lenses-eyeglass frame bags and contact lens cases.
    http://theopticalvisionsite.com/category/recycle/
    send me something you want to know how to reuse or recycle and I will come up with what to do with products!

Thread Information