Thread: Finish Blocker

OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter peyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Finish Blocker

Looking to purchase new CAD finish blocker. Give me some ideas.
    Must be able to communicate with other lab equipment...well rather with Innovations.

Bad address email on file
    The Cad works very well, and should be compatible with most popular software for labs. Which are you using? The manufacturer should be able to get it in sinc for you. It's a nice, easy to use method that any one can use successfully. Of course, it has the same little glitches that all blockers have when dealing with high prisms. Especially vertical prism - you will need to adjust the seg height a bit to offset the image displacement. I have yet to see a blocker that takes that into consideration. Also, unless you have a frame tracer you won't be able to use it to its fullest potential.
    :idea:

shutterbug

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I believe the WECO CadIII will fit your requirements...it's OMA compatible.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation

Thumbs up you cad

The CAD III works with Innovations, though it's most certainly not OMA-compliant.

Be sure to contact software support for information on how to set up the CAD - Weco has changed both the screen resolution and the way the cabling has to be configured. There's a "compatibility mode" which emulates the old 640x400 resolution, but the image looks bad because of the inevitable aliasing that results from producing a 640x400 image on a 620x460 screen.

The CAD III's alignment mask will not (as alleged) be deviated by power or prism, as the alignment features (the seg, fitting cross, or lensometer dots) are viewed with light reflected off the front surface of the lens, and the alignment mask is superimposed on that image optically, using a semi-silvered mirror. That was not true of the old CAD 1000, which did in fact suffer the same through-power distortions suffered by all blockers, other than the Weco CAD 2000 & III, and the GC Steps One & Two (though the Steps One & Two accomplish this differently from the CAD - and from each other, for that matter).

I know the CAD is not supposed to be influenced by prism. However, by actual experience I'll have to differ. Segs will be uneven in High vertical prism Rx's if you don't adjust for it. The design sounds good in theory though :)

shutterbug

Occupation
    I don't believe is has anything to do with the imaging system. The angle of contact, between block and lens, can cause the shift.
    J. R. Smith

JRS - I guess that is true. The difference in thickness at the seg could also account for it. My apologies to Cad! LOL
    Of course my original point is still valid - you better adjust the position of the seg or you'll be dissapointed.

shutterbug:D

Thread Information