Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just for the record...........................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Confused Just for the record...........................

On This Day - Back in time on 22 August

In 565, St Columba reports seeing a monster in Loch Ness.

In 1485, the War of the Roses ends with the death of England's King Richard III. He is killed in the Battle of Bosworth Field. His successor is Henry V II.

In 1572, the Earl of Northumberland is executed for treason in York, England.

In 1642, the English Civil War begins when Charles I calls Parliament and its soldiers traitors and raises his standard against the Parliamentarian Army in Nottingham.

In 1770, Australia is claimed under the British crown when Captain James Cook lands there.

In 1862, composer Achille-Claude Debussy is born in St Germain-en-Laye.

In 1865, a patent for liquid soap is received by William Sheppard.

In 1902, President Theodore (Teddy) Roosevelt becomes the first American president to ride in an automobile. He is driven around in a Columbia Electric Victoria for a tour of Hartford, Connecticut. Twenty carriages follow behind.

In 1910, Japan formally annexes Korea.

In 1917, John Lee Hooker, blues musician, is born in Mississippi.

In 1920, Dr. Denton Cooley, heart surgeon who performs the first artificial heart transplant, is born.

In 1950, Althea Gibson becomes the first black tennis player to be accepted into a national competition.

In 1956, Elvis Presley begins work on his first movie, "Love Me Tender." The film was originally entitled "The Reno Brothers."

In 1963, Tori Amos, Singer-songwriter is born.

In 1970, Elton John signs to MCA Records.

In 1972, due to its racial policies, Rhodesia is asked to withdraw from the 20th Olympic Summer Games.

In 1978, Jomo Kenyatta president of Kenya, dies at 83.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-07-2004 at 02:21 PM.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It was on this date ( 8/26).....

In 1959 that I began my career as an apprentice optician. My first job was sorting screws. My second was learning to air temper lenses, with this huge B&L unit called the tempross machine.
    :D :D
    hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation

Today a few years ago .....................

On This Day - Back in time on 12 September TOP

In 1609, Henry Hudson discovers the Hudson River.

In 1649, Drogheda, Ireland, falls to Cromwell's Puritan troops, and the inhabitants are massacred.

In 1687, John Alden, the last Mayflower passenger, dies.

In 1818, Richard Jordan Gatling, US inventor of the hand-cranked machine gun, is born.

In 1846, the Brownings were secretly married at St Marylebone Church in London. They run away to Italy together a week later.

In 1873, the first practical typewriter is sold to customers.

In 1888, French song and dance man, Maurice Chevalier is born in Paris.

In 1890, the town of Salisbury is founded by the British South Africa Company and becomes the capital of Rhodesia in 1893.

In 1913, Jesse Owens track star, spoiled Hitler's 1936 Olympics with 4 gold

In 1922, the House of Bishops of the Episcopal Church remove the word “obey“ from the bride's section of wedding vows.

In 1923, Britain takes over Southern Rhodesia from the British South Africa Company.

In 1953, Jacqueline Bouvier marries John F Kennedy.

In 1977, Steven Biko, South African black student leader, dies in police custody.

In 1988, Gilbert, the strongest hurricane ever (160 mph), devastates Jamaica.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This new storm Isabel....

has already eclipsed Gilbert with winds to 236 mph. Please God, don't let it hit the east coast.
    hj
    Lord Byron

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: This new storm Isabel....

hcjilson said:
    has already eclipsed Gilbert with winds to 236 mph. Please God, don't let it hit the east coast.
    hj
    Harry, if you want we could go out in the boat this weekend and check out the surf being kicked up by Henri.......................:idea:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

After your experience last weekend....

I think I'll play a little golf and save myself for my daughters wedding next weekend!:D
    hj
    Lord Byron

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry: I was in Houston during Carla and the Red Fish were running. The idiots were out on the piers with their legs around the pilings as the planks were blowing off the boardwalk.

Some fishermen like it a litttle more than me.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: After your experience last weekend....

hcjilson said:
    I think I'll play a little golf and save myself for my daughters wedding next weekend!:D
    hj
    Ooops!, almost forgot about Fabian's 8-10 ft swells.Guess i should wait to get out of the body cast first.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Re: After your experience last weekend....

Sean said:
    Ooops!, almost forgot about Fabian's 8-10 ft swells.Guess i should wait to get out of the body cast first.
    Okay, Sean, you and Harry have "teased" enough-details, boy, I want details!!
    :o
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cindy,
    I was just trying to rattle Harry's cage a bit. :D Last week i went out on my boat to go through a part of this area called Oyster Harbor and then head over to Martha's Vinyard........all this to check out the forcasted swells from hurricane Fabian and to see if anyone was surfboarding. The 8-10 ft swells remark was tongue in cheek on my part because they were more like 10-16ft. It was a blast! But i must admit by the end of the trip i was whipped. And sore is not the only word i would use to describe how i felt the next day.Harry just happened to get a glimpse of the bruises on my arms and asked what had happend..........:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sean....why don't you

give Cindy a call and invite her out in your jet boat.......say late Friday or Early Saturday morning......I'm SURE she will be thrilled!:D :D :D
    Chip, the last time we had a major Storm in the fall, they were surfing Nauset Beach in 15-20 foot waves........I didn't see any fishermen however!

hj
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Sean....why don't you

hcjilson said:
    give Cindy a call and invite her out in your jet boat.......say late Friday or Early Saturday morning......I'm SURE she will be thrilled!:D :D :D
    hj
    Is there an outside chance you are referring to Isabel ? :shiner:

Occupation

Just for the record ......................................

On This Day - Back in time on 19 September

In 1356, led by the heroic Black Prince, the English defeat the French at Poitiers in the Hundred Years War.

In 1655, Netherlands, scholar/physicist/mathematician/astronomer Jan Luyts is born.

In 1783, the Montgolfier brothers send up the first hot-air balloons with live creatures on it, including some sheep and a duck.

In 1876, the carpet sweeper is patented by M.R. Bissel of Grand Rapids, Michigan.

In 1881, US president James A Garfield dies of a gunshot wound.

In 1928, Mickey Mouse debuts in "Steamboat Willie". Walt Disney originally intended to call him Mortimer Mouse, but his wife talked him into Mickey.

In 1943, singer Mama Cass Elliot is born in Baltimore Maryland.

In 1948, the English actor Jeremy Irons is born.

In 1949, English model Twiggy Lawson (real name Leslie Hornby) is born in England.

In 1957, the first U.S. underground nuclear test is conducted near Las Vegas, Nevada.

In 1959, Nikita Krushchev is denied access to Disneyland.

In 1981, Simon & Garfunkel reunite for a NYC Central Park concert.

In 1989, the US Appeals court restores the America's Cup to the USA after the New York Supreme Court gave it to New Zealand (NZ protested the USA's use of a catamaran).

Occupation

For the Record

On This Day - Back in time on 26 September TOP

In 1109, French saint Albericus of Cîteaux dies.

In 1340, English king Edward III is proclaimed king of France.

In 1580, Sir Francis Drake returns to England after his 2-year, 10-month circumnavigation of the globe.

In 1774, Jonathan Chapman, who entered American legend as Johnny Appleseed, planter of apple groves throughout the Midwest, is born.

In 1781, the Continental forces of George Washington and the French forces under Jean Baptiste, Comte de Rochambeau join at Williamsburg. They will defeat Cornwallis the next month at Yorktown, assuring American independence.

In 1841, Hong Kong is proclaimed a sovereign territory of Britain.

In 1871, Cement is patented by D.O. Saylor in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

In 1880, General of the Army in WWII, Douglas MacArthur is born at Little Rock Arkansas.

In 1888, two major figures of literature, the Anglo-American poet T.S. Eliot and the Texas folklorist J. Frank Dobie, are born. Eliot's poem The Waste Land is arguably the most influential poem of the century. He wins the Nobel Prize in 1948.

In 1898, American composer George Gershwin is born in New York.

In 1904, Irish statesman and Amnesty International co-founder (Nobel '74) Sean MacBride is born in Dublin.

In 1934, Winnie Mandela, the former wife of South African president Nelson Mandela, is born.

In 1948, Pop singer Olivia Newton-John is born in Cambridge, England.

In 1953, sugar rationing ends in Britain, eight years after the end of the war.

In 1965, The Beatles are decorated with the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth.

In 1973, actor Edward G Robinson dies at 79.

In 1975, The Rocky Horror Picture Show opens in theatres.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1492 The crew of the Pinta, one of Christopher Columbus' ships, mistakenly thought that they had spotted land.
    1847 During the Mexican-American War, U.S. forces, led by General Zachary Taylor, captured Monterrey Mexico.
    1897 Author, William Faulkner, was born. He is remembered for his works "As I Lay Dying," "Light in August" and "The Sound and the Fury."
    1978 Melissa Ludtke, a writer for "Sports Illustrated," filed a suit in U.S. District Court. The result was that Major League Baseball could no longer bar female writers from the locker room after the game.
    1981 Sandra Day O'Connor became the first female justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
    1990 The U.N. Security Council voted to impose an air embargo against Iraq. Cuba was the only dissenting vote.
    1992 In Orlando, FL, a judge ruled in favor of 12-year-old Gregory Kingsley. He had sought a divorce from his biological parents.
    1997 NBC sportscaster, Marv Albert, plead guilty to assault and battery of a lover. He was fired from NBC within hours.
    2001 Michael Jordan announced that he would return to the NBA as a player for the Washington Wizards. Jordan became the president of basketball operations for the team on January 19, 2000.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On September 26
    1774 John Chapman was born. He was better known as Johnny Appleseed. He planted orchards, befriended wild animals and was considered a great medicine man by Native Americans.
    1914 The Federal Trade Commission was established.
    1955 The New York Stock Exchange suffered its worst decline since 1929 when the word was released concerning U.S. President Eisenhower's heart attack.
    1960 The first televised debate between presidential candidates Richard M. Nixon and John F. Kennedy took place in Chicago, IL.
    1969 "The Brady Bunch" series premiered on ABC-TV.
    1985 Shamu was born at Sea World in Orlando, FL. Shamu was the first killer whale to survive being born in captivity.
    1990 The Motion Picture Association of America announced that it had created a new rating. The new NC17 rating was to keep moviegoers under the age of 17 from seeing certain films.
    1991 Four men and four women began their two-year stay inside the "Biosphere II." The project was intended to develop technology for future space colonies.
    1996 Shannon Lucid returned to Earth after being in space for 188 days. Her time in space set a record for both a U.S. astronaut and a woman.
    2001 In Kabul, Afghanistan, the abandoned U.S. Embassy was stormed by protesters. It was the largest anti-Amercian protest since the terror attacks on New York City and Washington, DC, on September 11.
    2001 Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat and Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres announced plans to formalize a cease-fire and end a year of fighting in the region.

Occupation

Just for the record............................

In 1226, St Francis of Assisi dies. He is canonised two years later.

In 1605, Chinese revolutionary Li Tzu-ch'eng dethrones the last Ming emperor.

In 1789, Washington proclaims the first national Thanksgiving Day on November 26.

In 1863, President Lincoln declares the last Thursday in November Thanksgiving Day, commemorating the harvest reaped by the Plymouth Colony immigrants in the early 1600s.

In 1906, SOS replaces CDQ as the official distress signal because it is easy to remember and transmit using the Morse key.

In 1941, Chubby Checker, the inventor of the Twist (birth name is Ernest Evans), is born in Spring Gulley, South Carolina.

In 1952, the first video recording on magnetic tape is made in Los Angeles.

In 1971, Billie Jean King becomes the first female athlete to win $100,000.

In 1988, Imagine, the documentary about John Lennon, premieres in Hollywood.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On October 3
    1863 U.S. President Lincoln declared that the last Thursday in November would be recognized as Thanksgiving Day.
    1902 Harvey Kurtzman, founder of Mad magazine, was born.
    1932 Iraq was admitted into the League of Nations leading Britain to terminate their mandate over the nation. Britain had ruled Iraq since taking it from Turkey during World War I.
    1941 Adolf Hitler stated in a speech that Russia was "broken" and "would never rise again."
    1942 The Office of Economic Stabilization was established by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt. He also authorized controls on rents, wages, salaries and farm prices.
    1952 Britain became the third nuclear power in the world when they successfully detonated their first atomic bomb. The U.S. and Russia were the only other nuclear powers.
    1955 "The Mickey Mouse Club" premiered on ABC-TV.
    1974 Frank Robinson took over the management position of the Cleveland Indians baseball team. He was the first black manager in major league baseball
    1988 The space shuttle Discovery landed safely after its four-day mission. It was the first American shuttle mission since the Challenger disaster.
    1990 The Berlin Wall was dismantled, and the unification of East and West Germany ended 45 years of division.
    2001 Barry Bonds (San Francisco Giants) broke Babe Ruth's major league single-season record for walks at 171.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On October 4
    1535 The first complete English translation of the Bible was printed in Zurich, Switzerland.
    1648 The first volunteer fire department was established in New York by Peter Stuyvesant.
    1887 The Paris Herald Tribune was published for the first time. It was later known as the International Herald Tribune.
    1931 The comic strip "Dick Tracy" made its debut in the Detroit Daily Mirror. The strip was created by Chester Gould.
    1940 Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini met in the Alps at Brenner Pass. Hitler was seeking help from Italy to fight the British.
    1957 The Soviet Union began the Space Age by launching Sputnik I into orbit around the Earth. Sputnik I was the first manmade satellite to enter space.
    1958 British Overseas Airways Corporation became the first jetliner to offer trans-Atlantic service to passengers with flights between London, England and New York City, NY.
    1976 Barbara Walters joined Harry Reasoner at the anchor desk of the "ABC Evening News" for the first time.
    1985 The Shiite Muslim group Islamic Jihad announced that they had killed American hostage William Buckley. Later another American hostage said that he believed that Buckley had died four months earlier from torture.
    1993 Russian Vice-President Alexander Rutskoi and Chairman Ruslan Khasbulatov surrendered to Boris Yeltsin after a ten-hour tank assault on the Russian White House. The two men had barricaded themselves in after Yeltsin called for general elections and dissolved the legislative body.
    1994 South African President, Nelson Mandela, was welcomed to the White House by U.S. President Clinton.
    1998 The Vincent Van Gogh exhibit opened in Washington, DC. The exhibit featured 70 paintings.
    2001 Barry Bonds (San Francisco Giants) hit his 70th home run of the season to tie Mark McGwire's major league record, and Rickey Henderson (San Diego Padres) scored his 2,246th career run to break Ty Cobb's major league record.
    2001 In Washington, DC, Reagan National Airport re-opened. The airport had been closed since the terrorist attacks on the United States on September 11.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On October 7
    1777 During the American Revolution, the second Battle of Saratoga began.
    1868 Cornell University was inaugurated in Ithaca, NY.
    1949 The German Democratic Republic (East Germany) was formed.
    1963 President Kennedy signed a nuclear test ban treaty with Britain and the Soviet Union.
    1968 The Motion Picture Association of America adopted the film-rating system that ranged from "G" to "X."
    1985 91 people were killed in Ponce, Puerto Rico, by a mudslide.
    1985 Four Palestinian terrorists hijacked the Italian cruise ship Achille Lauro of the coast of Egypt. There were 440 people onboard. They surrendered after two days and killing an American passenger Leon Klinghoffer.
    1989 Hungary's Communist Party renounced Marxism in favor of democratic socialism.
    1993 President Clinton sent more troops, heavy armor and naval firepower to Somalia.
    1994 President Clinton dispatched an aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf when Iraqi troops were spotted moving toward Kuwait. The U.S. Army was also put on alert.
    1998 The U.S. government filed an antitrust suit that alleged Visa and MasterCard inhibit competition by preventing banks from offering other cards.
    2001 The U.S. military (along with Great Britain) began airstrikes in Afghanistan. It was the first military action taken by the United States in response to the terrorist attacks on the U.S. on September 11, 2001.
    2001 Barry Bonds (San Francisco Giants) hit his 73rd home run of the season and sets a new major leage record.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Just for the record ....................................

On This Day - Back in time on 17 October

In 532, Boniface II ends his reign as Catholic Pope.

In 1483, Pope Sixtus IV launches the Spanish Inquisition, placing it under joint direction of the Church and state.

In 1831, Michael Faraday succeeds in generating electric current from his dynamo and discovered electromagnetic induction. His invention led to motors that drive many appliances and transportation equipment.

In 1885, Danish writer Isak Dinesen, who wrote mainly in English, is born. The film Out of Africa is based on her life.

In 1918, Yugoslavia proclaims itself a republic.

In 1919, actress Rita Hayworth is born in New York.

In 1923, country singer and songwriter, Hank Williams, is born in Southern Alabama.

In 1938, Robert "Evel" Knievel, motorcycle daredevil, is born.

In 1948, actress Margot Kidder is born.

In 1973, eleven Arab nations begin an oil embargo against several countries including the US and Great Britain.

In 1979, Mother Teresa of India is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ON This Day in 2003

The Red Sox beat the D*mn Yankees!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Dewey Beats Truman...

red sox nation, I feel your pain.
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did I say two thousand and 3 ??????

Occupation

Today .....180......years ago......................

On October 17, 1823, President James Monroe wrote a letter to his friend and Virginia neighbor Thomas Jefferson........................ seeking advice on foreign policy. The issue at hand was whether to join forces with Britain in a joint-declaration against Spain's efforts to regain sovereignty in South America.

Thread Information